||Chicago Black Ministers Attack Gay marriage
This article shared 7035 times since Wed Jun 2, 2004
A week after a group of pro-gay Black marriage activists gathered downtown for a press conference, more than two dozen African-American religious leaders gathered to attack gay marriages.
At Sweet Holy Spirit Gospel Baptist Church, 28 denominations were represented, reports the Tribune. They said they would collect 50,000 signatures in the city's Black churches. African-Americans might now think twice about blindly voting for Democratic candidates, said Bishop Larry Trotter of Sweet Holy Spirit, who warned Mayor Daley on this issue.
But progressive Blacks including Coretta Scott King have voiced support of gay marriage, even while Jesse Jackson opposes such unions. Gay writer Keith Boykin had a piece in the May 24 Village Voice pointing out the hypocrisy of Black ministers aligning themselves with a movement filled with those who opposed civil rights for Blacks in the past.
'If the KKK opposes gay marriage, I would ride with them,' Rev. Gregory Daniels, a Chicago Black minister, said from the pulpit in February.
This article shared 7035 times since Wed Jun 2, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Starting May 3, ceremonies in Cook County's downtown Marriage Court can be performed by Zoom 2021-04-30|
- CHICAGO (April 30) — Marriage and civil union ceremonies at Cook County's downtown Marriage and Civil Union Court (Marriage Court) may be performed via Zoom videoconference, as well as in person, starting next week, according to ...
|Illinois Senate passes proposal removing gendered language from marriage certificates
--From a press release - On April 21, on its third reading, the Illinois Senate passed (by a bipartisan vote of 44-13) a proposal that amends the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act to allow the removal of gendered language ...
|Russian leader Putin officially bans same-sex marriage
- On April 5, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a series of constitutional amendments that, among other things, formally defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the country, The Washington Blade reported. ...
|Global momentum for marriage equality surges,"Freedom to Marry Global" website created 2021-03-31|
--From a freedomtomarry.org press release - April 1st marks twenty years since the Netherlands ended the exclusion of same-sex couples from marriage, becoming the first of so far 30 countries worldwide to affirm the freedom to marry for same-sex couples. Now, two ...
|WORLD Landmark ruling, Montreal's Gay Village, acid attack, anti-LGBTQ laws 2021-03-21|
- In a landmark ruling, a Japanese court ruled that the government's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, NPR noted. Article 24 of Japan's constitution defines marriage as based on the "mutual consent of both sexes," which ...
|LETTER The Vatican's words and actions do not echo love 2021-03-18|
- The LGBTQA community is responding with shock, anger and frustration at the Vatican's Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith statement concerning same-sex unions. Many in our community can't understand why Pope Francis would allow such a ...
|Pope Francis documentary 'Francesco' to debut March 26
- Pope Francisin the news lately because of the Catholic Church's stance that it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriageis the subject of ...
|DignityUSA: Vatican denying same-sex blessings "Exacerbates pain and anger" 2021-03-16|
--From a press release - March 15, 2021. DignityUSA, the organization of Catholics working for justice, equality, and full inclusion of LGBTQI people in the church and society, is deeply disappointed by the Vatican's statement unequivocally denying blessings to same-sex coupl ...
|Vatican won't bless same-sex unions
- The Catholic Church said it cannot bless same-sex unions, adding that it is "not licit" to bless relationships that involve sexual activity outside of marriage, according to an NBC News item. The Congregation for the Doctrine ...
|Commission: Jamaica should repeal same-sex ban
- The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), the top rights body of the Americas, said in a symbolic landmark ruling on Feb. 17 that Jamaica should repeal its colonial-era gay sex ban, Reuters reported. Two Jamaicans ...
|Leading groups submit amicus briefs against discrimination against LGBT surviving spouses 2021-02-08|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON D.C.—AARP, AARP Foundation, SAGE and the American Society on Aging (ASA) filed amicus briefs today in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit arguing that the ...
|WORLD Honduran Congress, deportation, Canadian support, athlete comes out 2021-01-24|
- On Jan. 21, members of the Honduran Congress voted to amend the constitution, making it much harder to reverse existing hard-line bans on abortion and same-sex marriage, as lawmakers double down on socially conservative priorities, Openly ...
|NATIONAL Marriage proposal, Creating Change, mural erased, 'Queer Santa' 2021-01-05|
- A COVID-19 vaccine appointment at a Canton, South Dakota, hospital turned into a marriage proposal for one healthcare couple, CNN.com noted. Robbie Vargas-Cortes, 31, a paramedic and EMS supervisor, was scheduled to get his vaccination on ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|Switzerland's parliament okays marriage equality,
residents to have final say 2020-12-18|
- On Dec. 18, the Swiss parliament approved a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry, finally bringing the nation in line with much of Europe on LGBTQ rights, TheLocal.ch reported. However, the Swiss residents themselves will have ...