WINDY CITY TIMES
||Sec. Sebelius appoints Nancy Mahon, ED of MAC AIDS Fund, Chair of Presidential HIV/AIDS Advisory Council
From a Health and Human Services news release, posted Dec. 1, 2011
This article shared 3162 times since Wed Nov 30, 2011
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced the appointment of Nancy Mahon as the new Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS ( PACHA ) . Ms. Mahon, executive director of the MAC AIDS Fund, has many years of experience in leading large philanthropic endeavors. In her role as chair, she will maintain the continuity of PACHA-related activities and, on occasion, represent the administration at PACHA-related events.
"Nancy has built a remarkable career leading major HIV/AIDS organizations around the country. She brings a wealth of experience managing international partnerships to eliminate HIV and AIDS as well as overseeing grassroots and on the ground support for those battling the disease," said Secretary Sebelius. "Nancy knows the power of working together to improve people's lives. She will be an invaluable advisor and a perfect choice to lead the Council as we continue to build on President Obama's commitment to an AIDS-free generation."
"Recently, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke of the opportunity to begin creating an 'AIDS-free generation'," said Christopher Bates, executive director of the PACHA. "Ms. Mahon is an excellent choice to guide PACHA's efforts in support of that goal. She has demonstrated leadership in responding to HIV/AIDS over many years and in many different capacities. She has developed public-private partnerships to provide care and support services for people living with HIV/AIDS, and she knows the power of working together to change their lives for the better. We look forward to working with her, and to strengthening PACHA's support for the National HIV/AIDS Strategy under her leadership."
As a senior vice president at MAC and executive director of the MAC AIDS Fund, Ms. Mahon serves as a member of the brand's senior management team, while overseeing the strategic direction and day-to-day operation of the MAC AIDS Fund. Currently, the fund gives away over $18 million annually throughout the world, particularly in the 65 countries in which MAC has affiliates. Before joining MAC in June 2006, Ms. Mahon was executive director of God's Love We Deliver ( GLWD ) , the nation's oldest and largest provider of life-sustaining nutritional support services for people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other serious illnesses. She is the author of numerous research, advocacy, and prevention articles, which have been published in a wide range of periodicals, including the American Journal of Public Health, the New York Times, and various academic journals.
PACHA was established to provide policy recommendations on the U.S. government's response to the AIDS epidemic. The council provides advice, information, and recommendations to the HHS Secretary on programs and policies intended to promote effective prevention of HIV disease, and to advance research on HIV disease and AIDS. The HHS Secretary selects members and the chair for their expertise in, or knowledge of, HIV/AIDS issues. The council may have up to 25 members, including the chair. In addition, the Secretary can appoint ex officio members from relevant HHS programs.
For more information about PACHA, visit http://www.aids.gov/federal-resources/policies/pacha/.
This article shared 3162 times since Wed Nov 30, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Registrations now open for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago 2021 2021-05-03|
--From a press release - Now in its 30th year, the AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns October 2 to help create equity and justice as well as raise awareness and funds for individuals who are living with or vulnerable to ...
|Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars pre-party raises $3M 2021-04-26|
- The 29th annual Elton John AIDS Foundation Academy Awards® Pre-Party hosted by Emmy- and Tony-winning actor Neil Patrick Harris alongside Sir Elton John and David Furnish, raised $3 million for the global effort to end AIDS, ...
|PASSAGES: AIDS activist, anti-imperalist organizer Tryfan Morys Eibhlyn Llwyd 2021-04-25|
- Longtime AIDS activist and anti-imperalist organizer Tryfan Morys Eibhlyn Llwyd (also known as Arawn Eibhlyn, and who uses the pronouns they/them/their) died March 3 in Louisville, Kentucky due to natural causes. They were 70. Llwyd was ...
|Decriminalization of HIV approved in Judiciary-Criminal Committee 2021-04-14|
--From a Illinois HIV Action Alliance press release - SPRINGFIELD — Today, the Illinois House Judiciary-Criminal Committee voted 18-0 to approve House Bill 1063 HA1, which would end criminal penalties against people living with HIV (PLWH). Under current law, PLWH face the threat of arrest, ...
|HIV/AIDS Report: Vaccine may hold promise
- Preliminary data from an early stage clinical trial out of the International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) and The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, suggests that a new HIV vaccine may hold promise, ABC News ...
|AIDS Healthcare Foundation Lake View clinic holds ribbon-cutting 2021-04-03|
- Los Angeles-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) held a ribbon-cutting event for its Lake View facility on March 31. The clinic, 3311 N. Halsted St., is housed within AHF's Out of the Closet thrift store and will ...
|NATIONAL Anti-trans attacks, Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, tower, Mary Trump 2021-03-28|
- Rayanna Pardo, a 26-year-old Latinx trans woman, was struck by a car and killed while fleeing from a small mob in Los Angeles on March 17, out.com reported. Security video showed Pardo being chased and assaulted ...
|PASSAGES Roman Buenrostro 2021-03-26|
- Roman Buenrostro, a past AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) Director of Special Projects passed away on March 25, 2021. He was a longtime LGBTQ+ leader and activist for people living with HIV and a co-founder of the ...
|Season of Concern benefit with Dixie Longate through March 28
- Dixie Longate—the fast-talking, gum chewing, ginger-haired Alabama drag personality—is headlining Dixie's Happy Hour as a benefit for Season of Concern Chicago. People are urged to spend an evening with Dixie ...
|Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars party to be virtual on April 25
- The 29th annual Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF) Academy Awards Pre-Party will be hosted by Emmy- and Tony-winning actor and New York Times best-selling author Neil Patrick Harris alongside Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with ...
|Chicago House, Center on Halsted among recipients of DIFFA/Chicago funding awards 2021-03-20|
--From a press release - (Chicago) — DIFFA/Chicago (Design Industries Foundation Fighting AIDS/Chicago) is pleased to announce the recipients of this year's Excellence in Care Awards. DIFFA/Chicago's Board of Directors tasked its Grants Committee to ...
|AFC holds virtual annual meeting, awards ceremony: Innovation Through Action 2021-03-09|
- AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) held its annual meeting and awards ceremony, "Innovation Through Action," March 4 via Zoom. (It was virtual due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.) AFC President/CEO John Peller said that although much has ...
|Racial justice coalition urges prosecutor to drop Jussie Smollett charges 2021-03-04|
--From a press release - CHICAGO Today, a coalition of racial justice and faith based organizations led by the National Black Justice Coalition and including Black Gifted and Whole, National Center for Lesbian Rights, Community Renewal Society, Black AIDS Institute, ...
|SPECIAL ISSUE: AIDS at 40 2021-03-04|
- In this special quarterly issue, produced by Windy City Timesas as an insert to the Chicago Reader, Windy City Times speaks with long-term HIV/AIDS survivors, deals with HIV-positive representation in media, checks in on young activists of today ...
|PrEP options likely to change following Truvada patent expiration 2021-03-04|
- Among the myriad challenges facing HIV/AIDS advocates and healthcare providers has been increasing use of pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, among persons at risk for HIV transmission. A PrEP intervention, which usually consists of taking the oral ...