||Gautam Raghavan new associate director, White House Office of Public Engagement, SLDN comments
From an SLDN news release
This article shared 3212 times since Wed Oct 5, 2011
Gautam Raghavan appt. associate director in White House Office of Public Engagement
(Washington, D.C.) Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN) released the following statement today in response to the White House announcement that Gautam Raghavan has been named Associate Director in the Office of Public Engagement:
"We are pleased to welcome Gautam to his new post at the White House. He is well-respected in the LGBT community, but perhaps no more than here at SLDN where we worked closely with him in his role at the Pentagon helping to build the support needed and manage the repeal process of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.' We look forward to working with him as we move toward addressing the post-repeal inequities that remain for our nation's service members, including family support and benefit parity for married couples and the need for a nondiscrimination policy," said Army Veteran and SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis.
SLDN FREE HOTLINE: Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender service members with questions are urged to contact the SLDN hotline to speak with a staff attorney: Call 1-800-538-7418 or 202-328-3244 x100. SLDN's Freedom to Serve: The Definitive Guide to LGBT Military Service, may be found here.
This article shared 3212 times since Wed Oct 5, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|GOP ousts Liz Cheney from leadership role 2021-05-12|
- On May 12, U.S. House Republicans voted quickly to remove U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney as their number-three leader over her repeated criticism of Donald Trumpa massive shakeup that ties the party tighter to Trump and threatens ...
|Gov. Pritzker announces $1B in Rebuild Illinois grants for Local infrastructure projects 2021-05-11|
--From a press release - CHAMPAIGN — As summer construction season ramps up, Gov. JB Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) today announced the fourth round of $250 million in Rebuild Illinois funded grants is available to advance municipal, ...
|Unprecedented 18 anti-LGBTQ bills enacted in 2021 2021-05-11|
--From a Human Rights Campaign press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — With an unprecedented number of anti-LGBTQ measures sweeping through state legislatures across the country, 2021 has officially surpassed 2015 as the worst year for anti-LGBTQ legislation in ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos to step down 2021-05-03|
- U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Illinois) announced she would retire from Congress after this term, Politico reported. Bustos had stepped down from leading the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee after shepherding the ...
|WORLD Caribbean group, hate crime, 'Queen of the Pacific,' volcano wedding 2021-05-02|
- A Caribbean advocacy group launched a fund to help LGBTQ people who have been impacted by the eruption of a volcano on the island of St. Vincent, The Washington Blade reported. The Eastern Caribbean Alliance for ...
|NATIONAL Black trans candidate, travel case, trans death, CEO fired 2021-05-02|
- RuPaul's Drag Race alum Honey Mahoganywho currently holds a vice-chair seat in her local County Central Committeeannounced that she will be seeking the role of chair of the San Francisco Democratic Party when current Party Chair ...
|Coalition of aldermen announces Chicago City Council's Democratic Socialist Caucus 2021-05-01|
- Chicago, Illinois (May 1, 2021) — Today, five aldermen announced the formal creation of the Democratic Socialist Caucus of the Chicago City Council. The founding members of the caucus - Aldermen Daniel La Spata (1), Jeanette ...
|Victory Institute launches LGBTQ political history website 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute — the only organization dedicated to identifying and supporting LGBTQ public leaders — released its new website "Pride & Progress: A history of LGBTQ political power in the United ...
|Former, current Chicago aldermen facing multiple charges 2021-04-29|
- On April 29, former 22nd Ward Ald. Ricardo Munoz was indicted on federal charges alleging he spent cash from a political fund he controlled on sports tickets, travel, meals and other personal expenses, The Chicago Tribune ...
|LGBTQ appointments in 100 days of Biden/Harris administration off to a historic start 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — One-hundred days into his presidency, President Joe Biden has appointed at least 200 known LGBTQ appointees to his administration, exponentially more than any other president at this point in their administration. Among them ...
|Mayor Lightfoot announces launch of Open Chicago 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot today announced the launch of Open Chicago, the latest initiative to safely and fully reopen the city. Open Chicago's initial programming will feature activated, re-imagined, and pop-up spaces for Chicago ...
|HRC celebrates advancements in LGBTQ rights over Pres. Biden's first 100 days 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today marks the 100th day of President Joseph R. Biden's presidency. In response, Alphonso David, President of the Human Rights Campaign, released the following statement celebrating the many steps the Biden Administration has ...
|National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund reacts to joint address by President Biden 2021-04-29|
- Statement from Kierra Johnson, ED, National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund: "Tonight, the President laid out a broad agenda that would improve the lives of diverse LGBTQ people in this country in so many ways, from ...
|Yet another governor signs anti-trans bill 2021-04-28|
- West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice signed a bill that bans transgender athletes from competing in female sports in middle and high schools and colleges, The Seattle Times noted. Bills seeking to ban transgender girls from competing ...