WINDY CITY TIMES
||Urban Gateways marks 50 at gala
This article shared 2005 times since Wed May 11, 2011
Urban Gateways marked its 50th anniversary with a gala fundraiser at Venue One, where 50 individuals who have played a significant role in the development and mission of the group were honored. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois and Exelon led the list of corporate sponsors for the benefit dinner, which also featured silent and live auctions. Close to 450 guests and 50 honorees attended the event, which raised more than $250,000.
Immediately following this event, there was another celebration, Gala Undone, the after-party for the New Arts Forum, consisting of volunteers 21-39. Urban Gateways' mission is to ignite the creative potential in young people as well as to improve communities through their youngsters. Photos courtesy of Becky Antonoglu
This article shared 2005 times since Wed May 11, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|National Black Justice Coalition honors the life of Monica Roberts 2021-05-04|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) celebrates the life and accomplishments of Monica Roberts, a revered transgender journalist, activist, and founder of the award-winning publication TransGriot. ...
|Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame announces online nominations 2021-04-23|
- The Chicago LGBT Hall of Fame announced today that it has made its entire nomination process available online. Those wishing to nominate individuals, organizations, businesses, or "Friends of the Community, may now do so without having ...
|Hall of Fame honors 21 LGBTQ elected and appointed leaders 2021-04-19|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — On Sunday, May 2 during a virtual event, LGBTQ Victory Institute will launch its LGBTQ Victory Hall of Fame to honor the LGBTQ elected officials, appointed officials and candidates who made a lasting ...
|GALECA: The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics hands out Dorian Awards 2021-04-19|
--From a press release - LOS ANGELES, CA, April 18, 2021 — Nomadland, the spare and fact-based drama of a group of struggling Americans living off the grid; the vivid blueswoman biopic Ma Rainey's Black Bottom; the family-happy fish-out-of-water fable Minari; ...
|GLAAD Media Awards honor creative forces of change in media, culture 2021-04-09|
--From a press release, video below - Los Angeles, CA, Thursday, April 8, 2021 — GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, tonight hosted a virtual ceremony to announce the award recipients of the 32nd Annu ...
|Newberry Library to honor Lonnie G. Bunch III on May 24
- In a virtual event on Monday, May 24, at 6 p.m., the Newberry Library will honor Lonnie G. Bunch III for his contributions to the humanities. Bunch became secretary of the Smithsonian Institution in June 2019 ...
|Elton John AIDS Foundation Oscars party to be virtual on April 25
- The 29th annual Elton John AIDS Foundation (EJAF) Academy Awards Pre-Party will be hosted by Emmy- and Tony-winning actor and New York Times best-selling author Neil Patrick Harris alongside Sir Elton John and David Furnish, with ...
|Doc honors 89-year old lesbian-feminist icon Sally Gearhart, raises early $30,000 2021-03-18|
--From a press release - San Francisco, CA — The feature documentary "Sally" is a humorous, thought-provoking and inspiring American road-trip in search of iconic lesbian-feminist activist Sally Gearhart. Brilliant, charismatic, provocative and visionary, Sally ...
|Treasurer Frerichs honors Illinois leaders during Women's History Month 2021-03-01|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In honor of Women's History Month, Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerichs today kicked off a virtual campaign to highlight and celebrate the achievements of women in Illinois. This year's national theme for Women's Histo ...
|Writer on AIDS activism in the Black church honored 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - The LGBTQ Religious Archives Network (LGBTQ-RAN) honors Dr. Dan Royles with the 2020-21 LGBTQ Religious History Award. The review jury selected Royles' "There Is a Balm in Gilead: AIDS Activism in the Black Church" from among ...
|Jonathan David Katz awarded Andrew W. Mellon grant 2021-01-15|
--From a Wrightwood 659 press release - (CHICAGO, IL— Jan. 15, 2021) Wrightwood 659 congratulates our friend, curator, and collaborator, Jonathan David Katz on the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation's announcement of a $5,000,000 award for the proposal"Dispossessions ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Drag Race,' year-end honors, 'Guardians,' Taylor Swift 2020-12-21|
- VH1 unveiled a game-changing twist from the upcoming season of the Emmy-winning RuPaul's Drag Race, premiering Friday, Jan. 1, at 8 p.m. ET/PT, a press release noted. For the first time in Drag Race "herstory," queens ...
|Submissions sought for Lambda Literary Awards
- Submissions are now being sought for the 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awards, which honors the best of LGBTQ+ literature. Due to COVID-19, the organization has implemented an entirely digital submission process using Submittable. Submissions are judged ...
|Wade among Streetwise's most inspiring Chicagoans 2020-09-07|
- LaSaia Wadethe founder and executive director of Brave Space Alliancehas been chosen as one of Streetwise newspaper's 20 Most Inspiring Chicagoans of 2020. Brave Space Alliance is a South Side organization that aims to empower and ...
|30 Under 30 postponed until June 2021 2020-08-19|
- Windy City Times has made the difficult decision to postpone its annual 30 Under 30 Awards until next June, citing the coronavirus pandemic. The ceremony was originally scheduled to take place Wed., June 24, at Polo ...