WINDY CITY TIMES
||Obama nominates lesbian for federal bench
This article shared 5515 times since Wed Apr 6, 2011
The White House has announced the nomination of Alison J. Nathan, an out lesbian, for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
"Alison Nathan is a distinguished individual who has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to justice throughout her career," said President Obama. "I am grateful for her decision to serve the American people from the District Court bench."
Nathan currently serves in the Office of the Attorney General of the State of New York as special counsel to the solicitor general, a position she has held since 2010. From 2009 to 2010, Nathan served as a Special Assistant to President Obama and an Associate White House Counsel.
She received her J.D., magna cum laude, in 2000 from Cornell Law School, where she was editor-in-chief of the Cornell Law Review. Nathan received her B.A. in 1994 from Cornell University.
This article shared 5515 times since Wed Apr 6, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Report: In four years, judicial landscape has become more anti-LGBTQ+ 2021-01-06|
- Washington, D.C. — In just four years, President Trump has ushered in a judicial landscape that is significantly more hostile toward LGBTQ+ people, with nearly 40% of Trump's confirmed federal appellate judges having demonstrated anti-LGBTQ+ bia ...
|Judge issues pro-diversity federal workplace ruling
- On Dec. 22, U.S. District Court Judge Beth Labson Freeman issued a nationwide preliminary injunction barring the Trump administration from implementing an executive order that bars federal contractors and grantees ...
|NATIONAL Political news, gay adoptive father, judges, Houston bar 2020-11-16|
- Adrian Tam, a 28-year-old gay Asian American son of immigrants, defeated a leader of the Hawaii chapter of the Proud Boys, a far-right extremist group, to become the only openly LGBTQ person in Hawaii's legislature, NBC ...
|Number of COVID-19 cases among Cook County Circuit Court employees updated 2020-11-09|
- The Office of the Chief Judge has announced that four employees and two judges have tested positive for COVID-19. One judge works at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse, while the other judge works in the Cook County ...
|COVID-19 More Cook County Court chief judge's office employees test positive
- The Office of the Chief Judge announced that four employees have tested positive for COVID-19. Two employees work for the Adult Probation Department at the Criminal Court Administration Building. The third employee works for the Social ...
|Jill Rose Quinn first trans elected official in Illinois; wins for Cook County Circuit Court Judge 2020-11-03|
- Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Fund endorsed candidate Jill Rose Quinn won her election to be a judge on the Cook County Circuit Court, becoming the first out transgender person ever elected in the state ...
|U.S. Senate confirms Coney Barrett to Supreme Court 2020-10-26|
- The U.S. Senate voted Oct. 26 to confirm the nomination of right-wing federal appeals judge Amy Coney Barrett to the U.S. Supreme Court. The vote was 52 to 48, with only one Republican voting against confirmation. ...
|Alliance of Illinois Judges hosting 'Coming Out Stories' 2020-10-14|
- In celebration of National Coming Out Day (which took place Oct. 11), the Alliance of Illinois Judges (AIJ) unveiled the short film Coming Out Stories. Coming Out Stories features members of the judiciary sharing coming out ...
|Born Perfect responds to Barrett's use of "preference" 2020-10-13|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today during confirmation hearings in front of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett used the dangerous term "sexual preference" when responding to Sen. Dianne Feinstein about her commitment to ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Lambda Legal responds to nomination of Judge Barrett 2020-10-13|
--From a press release - Lambda Legal sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee urging its members to oppose Judge Amy Coney Barrett. The rushed confirmation hearings began today for President Trump's nominee to fill the seat of the late ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|Lambda Legal on probable Supreme Court nomination of Amy Coney Barrett 2020-09-26|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., September 25, 2020) In response to reports that President Trump intends to nominate Judge Amy Coney Barrett, currently on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, to the United States Supreme ...
|NATIONAL Lambda Legal, Catholic school, gay-bar raid, Buttigieg 2020-09-15|
- Lambda Legal said that President Trump's shortlist of potential U.S. Supreme Court nominees "is teeming with anti-LGBT extremists and dangerous ideologues," a press release noted. The list includes Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals judges Kyle Duncan ...
|Submissions sought for Lambda Literary Awards
- Submissions are now being sought for the 33rd Annual Lambda Literary Awards, which honors the best of LGBTQ+ literature. Due to COVID-19, the organization has implemented an entirely digital submission process using Submittable. Submissions are judged ...
|Trump's SCOTUS shortlist full of anti-LGBT, extremist judges, Lambda responds 2020-09-09|
--From a press release - (Washington, DC, Sept. 9, 2020) — Today, just weeks ahead of the presidential election, President Donald Trump released a new shortlist of potential Supreme Court nominees that is teeming with ...