WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gay man appointed White House social secretary
From a News Release, posted Feb. 25, 2011
This article shared 5650 times since Thu Mar 3, 2011
The White House today announced Jeremy Bernard has been named Special Assistant to the President and Social Secretary. He joins the White House staff from the U.S. Embassy in Paris, where he serves as Senior Advisor to the Ambassador. Prior to this role, he worked as the White House Liaison to the National Endowment for the Humanities.
"Jeremy shares our vision for the White House as the People's House, one that celebrates our history and culture in dynamic and inclusive ways. We look forward to Jeremy continuing to showcase America's arts and culture to our nation and the world through the many events at the White House," the President said.
"I am deeply humbled to join the White House staff as Social Secretary and support President Obama and the First Lady in this role," said Jeremy Bernard. "I have long admired the arts and education programs that have become hallmarks of the Obama White House and I am eager to continue these efforts in the years ahead."
"I look forward to working with Jeremy to continue the great work of the Social Office, from fun and educational student workshops to elegant State Dinners that welcome world leaders to the White House. Jeremy's creativity, perspective and skills will be a welcome addition to our East Wing team, as we showcase the White House and celebrating America's arts and culture," said Tina Tchen, Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama.
"What stood out in Jeremy's work at the National Endowment for the Humanities was his humor, good will, and high standard of professionalism," said National Endowment for the Humanities Chairman Jim Leach.
A native of San Antonio, Texas, Bernard currently serves as Senior Advisor to the Ambassador at the U.S. Embassy of Paris. He served as the White House Liaison to the National Endowment for the Humanities from 2008 to 2010. Previously, Bernard was a California Finance Consultant for the Obama for American campaign. He was a Principal of B&G Associates from 2007 to 2009, Vice-President of Mapleton Investments from 1999 to 2006 and Director of Government Affairs of Falcon Cable TV from 1996 to 2006. Appointed by President Clinton, Bernard served on the President's Advisory Committee on the Arts for the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and was a member of the Democratic National Committee from 2001 to 2009. He previously served as a board member of A.N.G.L.E. ( Access Now for Gay & Lesbian Equality ) and the National Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund. He was also a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's LGBT Advisory Committee, the Los Angeles Police LGBT Advisory Committee and the Los Angeles Mayor's LGBT Advisory Committee.
This article shared 5650 times since Thu Mar 3, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos to step down 2021-05-03|
- U.S. Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Illinois) announced she would retire from Congress after this term, Politico reported. Bustos had stepped down from leading the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee after shepherding the ...
|WORLD Caribbean group, hate crime, 'Queen of the Pacific,' volcano wedding 2021-05-02|
- A Caribbean advocacy group launched a fund to help LGBTQ people who have been impacted by the eruption of a volcano on the island of St. Vincent, The Washington Blade reported. The Eastern Caribbean Alliance for ...
|NATIONAL Black trans candidate, travel case, trans death, CEO fired 2021-05-02|
- RuPaul's Drag Race alum Honey Mahoganywho currently holds a vice-chair seat in her local County Central Committeeannounced that she will be seeking the role of chair of the San Francisco Democratic Party when current Party Chair ...
|Coalition of aldermen announces Chicago City Council's Democratic Socialist Caucus 2021-05-01|
- Chicago, Illinois (May 1, 2021) — Today, five aldermen announced the formal creation of the Democratic Socialist Caucus of the Chicago City Council. The founding members of the caucus - Aldermen Daniel La Spata (1), Jeanette ...
|Victory Institute launches LGBTQ political history website 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute — the only organization dedicated to identifying and supporting LGBTQ public leaders — released its new website "Pride & Progress: A history of LGBTQ political power in the United ...
|Former, current Chicago aldermen facing multiple charges 2021-04-29|
- On April 29, former 22nd Ward Ald. Ricardo Munoz was indicted on federal charges alleging he spent cash from a political fund he controlled on sports tickets, travel, meals and other personal expenses, The Chicago Tribune ...
|LGBTQ appointments in 100 days of Biden/Harris administration off to a historic start 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — One-hundred days into his presidency, President Joe Biden has appointed at least 200 known LGBTQ appointees to his administration, exponentially more than any other president at this point in their administration. Among them ...
|Mayor Lightfoot announces launch of Open Chicago 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot today announced the launch of Open Chicago, the latest initiative to safely and fully reopen the city. Open Chicago's initial programming will feature activated, re-imagined, and pop-up spaces for Chicago ...
|HRC celebrates advancements in LGBTQ rights over Pres. Biden's first 100 days 2021-04-29|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today marks the 100th day of President Joseph R. Biden's presidency. In response, Alphonso David, President of the Human Rights Campaign, released the following statement celebrating the many steps the Biden Administration has ...
|National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund reacts to joint address by President Biden 2021-04-29|
- Statement from Kierra Johnson, ED, National LGBTQ Task Force Action Fund: "Tonight, the President laid out a broad agenda that would improve the lives of diverse LGBTQ people in this country in so many ways, from ...
|Yet another governor signs anti-trans bill 2021-04-28|
- West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice signed a bill that bans transgender athletes from competing in female sports in middle and high schools and colleges, The Seattle Times noted. Bills seeking to ban transgender girls from competing ...
|Hate mail threatening Obamas, Biden, Harris sent to DuSable 2021-04-28|
- The Secret Service is investigating six threatening letters sent to the DuSable Museum of African American History that mention President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and the Obama family, among others, The Chicago Tribune reported. ...
|More than 400 major U.S. corporations register unprecedented support for Equality Act 2021-04-27|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. Today, the Business Coalition for the Equality Act (https://www.hrc.org/resources/business-coalition-for-equality) announced it has grown to include more than 400 major U.S. corporations (including dozens ...
|New Center for Applied Transgender Studies responds to trans misinformation 2021-04-27|
- Combatting bad information and promoting accurate education on transgender issues are the focuses at the Center for Applied Transgender Studies, which officially opened March 31. The independent, nonprofit, research organization ...
|AMA to states: Stop interfering in health care of transgender children 2021-04-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — On April 26, the American Medical Association (AMA) urged governors to oppose state legislation that would prohibit medically necessary gender transition-related care minor patients, calling such efforts "a ...