WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gates calls for DADT repeal now
News update Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010
This article shared 2809 times since Wed Nov 3, 2010
FROM A PRESS RELEASE
WASHINGTON, D.C.Servicemembers Legal Defense Network ( SLDN ) , a national, legal services and policy organization dedicated to ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ( DADT ) , issued a statement Nov. 7 regarding U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates' call for the Senate to act on repeal this year during the lame-duck session.
SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis said, "We welcome Secretary Gates call for the Senate to act on repeal in the lame duck session. Indeed, the Senate should call up the defense bill reported out of committee and pass it before it goes home for the year. If the President, Majority Leader Reid, Secretary Gates, and a handful of Republican senators are committed to passing the comprehensive defense bill, there is ample time to do so. Any talk about a watered down defense bill, whereby the 'Don't Ask' revisions would be stripped out, is unacceptable and offensive to the gay and lesbian service members who risk their lives every day."
This article shared 2809 times since Wed Nov 3, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|VA to offer surgery to transgender vets for the first time
- U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denis McDonough announced that officials, for the first time, will offer surgeries for transgender veterans seeking to transition, Military Times reported. The move follows ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Chicago LGBT veterans honor the fallen on Memorial Day 2021-05-31|
- The Chicago Chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) honored the fallen on Memorial Day with flowers at the granite monument on Halsted Street and Addison which honors LGBTQ veterans. The monument was commissioned ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
|Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation Military Appreciation Night May 1 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - The Chicago Blackhawks and the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, in partnership with USO Illinois and Boeing, will kick off May's National Military Appreciation Month with the team's Military Appreciation Night game on Saturday, May 1 as the ...
|Pentagon reverses Trump-era ban on trans military service, GLAAD responds 2021-03-31|
--From a GLAAD press release - New York, NY - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, celebrates news that the Pentagon will issue ...
|Modern Military Association of America names executive director 2021-02-09|
--From a press release - MMAA is pleased to announce that the board of directors has selected Jennifer Dane as executive director. Jennifer is a U.S. Air Force veteran and has served as the organization's interim executive director since February 2020. ...
|MMAA condemns Cong. Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'Hate American Flags' statement
--From a Modern Military Association of America press release - WASHINGTON Tonight, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization condemns Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene's statement on 'hate Ameri ...
|Biden's repeal of trans military ban impacts over 15,500 adults in the military
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on transgender military service in U.S. Today, President Biden signed an executive order ending the ban on transgender military service. The directive instructs the Department of Defense to reinstate the 2016 ...
|LGBTQA+ organizations praise Biden's lift of trans military ban
- After President Joe Biden signed an executive order on Jan. 25 lifting former President Donald Trump's ban on transgender individuals being in the military, several LGBTQA+ groups and individuals issued press releases praising the move: LGBTQ ...
|Research on military trans ban shows urgency of Biden acting on pledge 2021-01-14|
--From a press release by The Palm Center - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|New reports from Palm Center look at military transgender ban, Biden's position 2021-01-01|
From a press release - President-elect Joseph Biden has promised to reverse the military's ban on service by transgender Americans on "day one" of his presidency. Research recently released by the Palm Center explains why lifting the ban is an urgent ...
|New study: Military transgender ban hurts readiness 2020-11-23|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — A new study has found that the current ban on military service by transgender Americans has harmed the armed forces, contradicting claims by the Trump administration that the ban was needed to ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...