WINDY CITY TIMES
||Project ALMA Attracts Hundreds
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 2300 times since Wed Oct 4, 2006
Hundreds of patrons packed The FlatFile Gallery, 217 N. Carpenter, Sept. 30, as 'Project ALMA' was hosted by the Association of Latino Men for Action ( ALMA ) , an organization for Latino GBQ ( gay, bi and questioning ) men.
The event was a take-off of the popular Bravo TV show Project Runway, down to a runway show that featured the clothes of local Latino designers Miguel Becerril; Carol Piñeiro, Horacio Nieto, Carla S. Rivera and James De Colón. There was also a silent auction that showcased everything from artwork to goods from Steamworks to Lisa Marie Presley concert tickets; in addition, there were vendors present, including E&J Designs and Marlene Saadia's Boutique & Bridal.
In another reference to the aforementioned TV series, the special guest for the event ( and the VIP reception ) was designer Nick Verreos, who competed on season two of Project Runway. Before the show began, Verreos acknowledged that he is actually half Venezuelan and half Greek but added that he is '100 percent Latina,' to the cheers of the crowd. After the show, he told Windy City Times that he was impressed by what he saw: 'It was amazing. One thing that I said when I judged [ applicants for the third season ] was, 'Where are the Chicago designers?'—and here they are, and I wished they had shown up when I was here. The actual person we picked from Chicago was actually from Kansas. Hopefully, next season [ the designers ] won't feel like the show is below them.'
This article shared 2300 times since Wed Oct 4, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Women's soccer: Sweden snaps United States' 44-game win streak 2021-07-21|
- In women's soccer, Sweden dominated the United States 3-0 on July 20 in Tokyo, snapping the Americans' 44-game winning streak in convincing fashion, Yahoo! Sports reported. The U.S. team entered this event as heavy favorites to ...
|The Amazon Trail Notes from a Homebody 2021-05-19|
- 's finally here. The end of total lockdown. Am I ready? Absolutely not. I like my burrow. I don't wanna play with others. We've fashioned a comfortable little routine. Week days, work. Evenings, spend time alone ...
|Jody Watley: Conversation with an icon 2021-05-09|
- Singer Jody Watley has been many things during her illustrious career, including an activist, fashion plate—but, most certainly, a musician. Among her many achievements in that latter area are a Grammy win; a Lifetime Achievement Award ...
|Netflix to debut limited series 'Halston' on May 14 2021-04-23|
- On what would have been legendary fashion designer Roy Halston Frowick's 89th birthday (on April 23), Netflix stated it was honoring the visionary icon by announcing the Friday, May 14, global premiere date for the five-episode ...
|Chella Man talks media endeavors, the fashion world, upcoming book, AAPI visibility 2021-03-31|
- The multi-talented 22-year-old, Deaf, genderqueer, transgender, Jewish, AAPI, artist and activist Chella Man has done more in his short life than most people achieve in their lifetimes. This includes a successful YouTube channel; TedX talk, modeling ...
|STREAMING THEATER REVIEW Bad Dates 2020-08-19|
- Playwright: Theresa Rebeck At: Online. Tickets: $25-$50; OilLampTheater.org. Runs through: Aug. 23 Fashion being an integral element in romantic fiction, we are not surprised to first discover our heroine in her boudoir, readying herself for a ...
|AUTOS 2020 Cadillac XT6 is the stylish transport for you and your posse 2020-08-18|
- Cadillac has long hosted fashion shows with acres of flat sheetmetal, glistening chrome, and cabins drenched with all the finest materials. This once meant block-long sedans, but people aren't buying ...
|STREAMING THEATER REVIEW Bad Dates 2020-08-11|
- Playwright: Theresa Rebeck At: Online. Tickets: $25-$50; OilLampTheater.org . Runs through: Aug. 23 Fashion being an integral element in romantic fiction, we are not surprised to first discover our heroine in her boudoir, readying herself for ...
|BOOKS In fashion: Jay Manuel dishes on 'The Wig, The Bitch & The Meltdown' 2020-08-04|
- Jay Manuel has been many things, including an make-up artist and a creative directorand he is probably best known as taking on the latter role for several years on the reality-competition show America's Next Top Model. ...
SHOWBIZ John Waters, Billy Eichner, 'Trans & Nonbinary Kids Mix,' RuPaul 2020-07-27|
- Gay filmmaker John Waters (Serial Mom; Hairspray) is the latest face of the French fashion brand Saint Laurent, Out.com noted. He appears in a suit from the brand with black shades, shot by David Sims. "My ...
|WORLD Zambia pardon, fashion house, HIV+ mayor, Costa Rica marriage
- Zambia's president pardoned a gay couple sentenced to 15 years in prison in November under colonial-era sodomy laws in a case that caused a diplomatic conflict with the United States, Reuters reported. Japhet Chataba, 39, and ...
|Chicago artists virtually unveil mural honoring LGBTQ community
- CHICAGO, IL — Chicago artists Andy Bellomo and Sandra Antongiorgi have virtually unveiled a new mural that highlights queer artists of color who use their life's work to improve community well-being and create social change. "Rebirth" ...
|Anne Steele, Kelli Carpenter raise funds for meals. Online concert April 29
- Lesbian singer/ songwriter Anne Steele decided to start online concerts to lift the spirts of her fans, friends and family. While playing the "couch concerts" every Wednesday on Facebook Live, her wife, Kelli Carpenter, a travel ...
|NUNN ON ONE TELEVISION Tim Gunn on his new show that's a 'Cut' above 2020-04-24|
- Television personality Tim Gunn continues to take over the world of reality shows with a brand-new offering on Amazon Prime Video called Making the Cut. Many will recognize the openly gay fashion advisor from Project Runway, ...
|Five Worth Finding: From an absorbing memoir to cool socks 2020-04-01|
- Ordinary Girls: A Memoir: In this hard-hitting memoir, Jaquira Diaz writes of struggling with depression and drug abuse while growing into her identity as a queer, biracial girl in Miami and Puerto Rico. And as Diaz ...