WINDY CITY TIMES
||'The Allure of Matter' exhibit in two venues
This article shared 1711 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
"The Allure of Matter: Material Art from China" will run through Sunday, May 3, at two venues: Smart Museum of Art, 5550 S. Greenwood Ave., and Wrightwood 659, 659 W. Wrightwood Ave. ( There will be a free public celebration Saturday, Feb. 8, simultaneously at both spots 3-7 p.m. )
The exhibit features 48 two- and three-dimensional works made from a range of unique materials, including melted plastic, paper-thin porcelain, cigarettes, desiccated Coca-Cola ashand 300,000 iron nails.
Artists include Ai Weiwei, Cai Guo-Qiang, Xu Bing, Yin Xiuzhen, Song Dong, gu wenda and Lin Tianmiao. The exhibit opens 20 years after the Smart Museum's first contemporary Chinese art project with exhibition co-curator and University of Chicago professor Wu Hung.
"The Allure of Matter" is co-organized by the Smart Museum of Art with Wrightwood 659 and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Seattle Art Museum and the Peabody Essex Museum.
Visit TheAllureOfMatter.org for more information about the exhibit as well as special events, such as workshops and readings.
This article shared 1711 times since Thu Feb 6, 2020
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Arts in the Dark Halloween Parade, this year a drive-through 2020-10-26|
--From a Chicago Park District press release - CHICAGO: LUMA8, in collaboration with the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE), the Chicago Park District and Presenting Sponsor, the Blommer Chocolate Company, is pleased to announce Arts in the Dark - an UPSIDE ...
|Jeannie Tanner releases inspirational song, art-inclusive video
- Local singer-songwriter Jeannie Tanner has released her new single and video, "I Wanna Be the Change." According to a press release, the song was inspired by many of the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ...
|Center on Halsted's Valle, artist Sam Kirk among Latinx Community Champions
- Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot will join the Office of Community Engagement and other City leaders for a celebratory virtual event to commemorate Latinx Heritage Month by honoring 19 "Campeones de la Communidad Latina" ("Latinx Community Champions") ...
|Collaborate Arts Institute to mark 10th anniversary 2020-10-12|
- Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC), 7409 N. Greenview Ave., is celebrating its 10th-anniversary season with fall offerings that include the annual Collaborative Works Festival, two recitals as part of the Lieder Lounge series and the ...
|Nat'l AIDS Memorial to launch 50-state AIDS Memorial Quilt Virtual Exhibition 2020-10-09|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (October 9, 2020) — The National AIDS Memorial is announcing a virtual exhibition of the AIDS Memorial Quilt (the Quilt) that will feature more than 10,000 Quilt panels representing all 50 state and U.S. ...
|Twelve northern Illinois arts organizations receive grants 2020-10-03|
- ComEd and the League of Chicago Theatres announced grants of up to $10,000 each to 12 non-profit arts organizations throughout northern Illinois to support the arts and encourage creativity. ComEd and the League, an alliance of ...
|'Art and Social Progress' Oct. 14
- In concert with its ongoing virtual exhibition, "Anthem," Weinberg/Newton Gallery has partnered with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to present the virtual panel discussion "Art and Social Progress: Creating a Better ...
|African American Arts Alliance to hold auditions, workshop
- Sponsored by the African American Arts Alliance (AAAA) and in celebration of Black Arts Month this October, several Black theaters of Chicago will partner for a united audition for Black theater artists. The free, three-day event ...
|Artist Sarp Kerem Yavuz talks career, online auction, COVID-19 2020-10-01|
- When Sarp Kerem Yavuz was 5, he drew a boat with smiling passengers and a caption that read "The boat that was curious about what was under the sea." "I distinctly remember thinking about the internal ...
|NATIONAL Trans incidents, governors, It Gets Better, Keith Haring, Gloria Trevi 2020-09-29|
- The National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) mourned the loss of Aerrion Burnett, a 37-year-old Black trans woman from Independence, Missouri who was found dead of a gunshot wound Sept. 19, a press release noted ...
|Artist-led "Retreat" to provide platform for creatives in food, music, art 2020-09-27|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Rebuild Foundation, the arts, education and cultural development organization founded by artist Theaster Gates, and Dorchester Industries today announced the opening of "RETREAT," an artist-led activation aimed at ...
|Five Worth Finding: Tom of Finland, help for renters, 'Batwoman' 2020-09-22|
- —Rentervention (https://lcbh.org/get-legal-help/rentervention): This webpage begins with a daunting statistic: Each year, more than 20,000 people are evicted from their homes in Chicago. Rentervention—a part of the ...
|MCA Chicago receives $2.5M grant from Mellon 2020-09-18|
- The Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA) Chicago received a $2.5-million award from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundationthe largest in the venue's history. In a statement, the MCA said the grant "will enable the museum to take ...
|EXPO Chicago hosting EXHIBITION Weekend Sept. 24-27 2020-09-15|
- EXPO Chicago has announced EXHIBITION Weekend (Sept. 24—27)a digital initiative showcasing Chicago-based exhibitions, curatorial projects and artist programs through virtual studio visits, exhibition and gallery tours; ...
|Series to celebrate Mexican artist Frida Kahlo
- GLEN ELLYN, Ill. The McAninch Arts Center (MAC), in association with the Cleve Carney Museum of Art (CCMA), will host a monthly series of events celebrating iconic Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. Kicking off the series, ...