WINDY CITY TIMES
||Senate delays DADT vote for at least a day
News update Dec. 8, 2010
by Lisa Keen, Keen News Service
This article shared 2001 times since Wed Dec 8, 2010
Leaders in the U.S. Senate decided to postpone a vote on the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ( DADT ) Dec. 8, according to the New York Times.
The delay will be at least for one day.
Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., was reportedly consulting with Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine to work out details of the debate on the DADT-repeal measure. Collins supports lifting DADT, but also wnats Republicans to have enough time to debate the Pentagon measure.
Two more senatorsLisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, and Mark Pryor, D-Ark.have also come out as supporting repeal of the policy.
This article shared 2001 times since Wed Dec 8, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|New coalition advocates voting accessibility for military, veterans, including LGBTQs 2020-09-02|
--From a press release - Today, the Military Vote Coalition (MVC) is taking action to protect access to the ballot box for military families and veterans. Among those groups is the Modern Military Association of America, a non-profit organization dedicated to ...
|House members demand LGBTQ Pride flags be allowed on military installations 2020-07-31|
- WASHINGTON, D.C. House Armed Services Committee Vice Chair and 30-year Army veteran Congressman Anthony Brown (MD-04), Subcommittee on Military Personnel Chair Congresswoman Jackie Speier (CA-14) ...
|U.S. House of Representatives votes to end Trump-Pence transgender military ban
--From a MMAA press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA), the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization, released the following statement following the U.S. House of Representatives' vote ...
|Former state National Guard enlistee alleges anti-trans discrimination 2020-07-18|
- Former Illinois Army National Guard enlistee Liam Papworth has filed a complaint with the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) against Dr. Lawrence Gottlieb and UChicago Medicine, alleging anti-trans medical ...
|Pentagon confirms LGBTQ Pride flag banned
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America, the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization, responded to Secretary Mark Esper's decision to ban the LGBTQ pride flag. ...
|Navy grants first waiver for trans service member 2020-05-15|
- The U.S. Navy granted a waiver allowing a transgender service member to serve "in their preferred gender" for the first time since the military enacted an anti-transgender ban, CNN.com reported. "The acting Secretary of the Navy ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian bishop, iconic activist dies, military lawsuit, drag legend passes 2020-03-31|
- Rev. Bonnie Perry was recently ordained as the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Michiganbeconing the first woman and openly gay person to hold the position, ClickOnDetroit.com noted. "Jesus said almost nothing about homosexuality," Perry ...
|Judge releases Chelsea Manning from jail 2020-03-12|
- On March 12, U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga ordered the release of former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manningending about a year of incarceration that she had served for refusing to testify to a grand jury, a ...
|Majority of active duty servicemembers oppose trans military ban 2020-02-27|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest non-profit organization dedicated to advancing fairness and equality for the LGBTQ military and veteran community ...
|LGBTQ military non-profit names veteran Jennifer Dane Interim ED 2020-01-22|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest non-profit organization working to advance fairness and equality for the LGBTQ military and veteran community ...
|Federal court upholds injunction preventing discharge of HIV+ airmen 2020-01-10|
- (Richmond, VA, January 10, 2020) Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit upheld a lower court ruling inRoe & Voe v. Esper that halted efforts by the Trump administration to discharge members ...
|Panel faces legal challenges for trans and HIV-positive service members 2019-12-03|
- U.S. Rep. Mike Quigley (D-5) was joined by legal experts at the Pritzker Military Museum the afternoon of Dec. 2 for a discussion of the ongoing challenges facing U.S. military personnel who are transgender and/or HIV ...
|Trans/HIV+ military ban panel Dec. 2 with U.S. Rep. Quigley 2019-11-26|
- U.S. Congressman Mike Quigley (D-Illinois) is hosting a panel discussing the transgender/HIV-positive military ban Monday, Dec. 2, at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library, 104 S. Michigan Ave., 1:30-3 p.m. In addition to Quigley, panelists are ...
|LGBTQ veterans observe Veterans Day with 27th annual dinner 2019-11-13|
- Tatyana Moaton, a former U.S. Army intelligence analyst, was keynote speaker at the The American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER ) Chicago Chapter's 27th annual LGBTQ Veterans Day Dinner held at Ann Sathers on Belmont. Moaton ...
|LGBTQ veterans denied honorable discharges regain NY state benefits 2019-11-12|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA), the nation's largest non-profit organization for the LGBTQ military and veteran community, released the following statement praising New York Governor ...