WINDY CITY TIMES
||PASSAGES Roy Horn, of Siegfried & Roy, dies at 75
Roy Horn, of Siegfried & Roythe duo whose magic tricks with big cats astonished millions until Horn was critically injured in 2003 by Montecore, one of the act's famed white tigershas died of coronavirus complications, media reports announced. He was 75.
"Today, the world has lost one of the greats of magic, but I have lost my best friend," partner Siegfried Fischbacher said in a statement, according to The Chicago Tribune. "From the moment we met, I knew Roy and I, together, would change the world. There could be no Siegfried without Roy, and no Roy without Siegfried."
Born in Germany, Horn met Fischbacher on a cruise ship in 1957. Fischbacher performed the magic tricks, while Horn became his assistant, eventually suggesting using a cheetah in the act. They perfected their act in Europe, debuting in Las Vegas in the 1960s.
The Tribune article is at www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-roy-horn-dead-coronavirus-20200509-nj4jsoxeq5fgzkw6if34gcadxu-story.html .
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Transgender advocate, journalist Monica Roberts dies 2020-10-08|
--From a National LGBTQ Task Force press release - "This week, the LGBTQ+ community lost one of our fiercest voices in Monica Roberts, an activist who not only lifted up the stories of trans people and inspired generations of countless transgender and non-binary people but ...
|WORLD Egypt arrests, Trans Legal Mapping Report, designer dies 2020-10-05|
- In Egypt, authorities are accused of using dating apps and social media to track down and arrest queer folks in their latest attempt to "clean the streets," Out.com noted. Human Rights Watch interviewed 15 people who ...
|Oct. 3 vigil to honor Ramos Vargas 2020-10-02|
- Chicagoans will gather in Humboldt Park the evening of Saturday, Oct. 3 to honor the memory of Michelin Ramos Vargas, a transgender woman who was murdered in Puerto Rico on Sept. 30. The event begins at ...
|PASSAGES Timothy Ray Brown, who was cured of HIV, dies of cancer at 54
- After a five-month battle with leukemia, Timothy Ray Brownpublicized as the first known person to be cured of HIV, and also known by many as "The Berlin Patient"has died of cancer, according to the International AIDS ...
|PASSAGES Former Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster dies at 37 2020-09-27|
- Northalsted bartender Eric Sangster died Sept. 17 unexpectedly at the age of 37. At the time of this article's publication, Sangster's cause of death is unknown. Sangster was born June 4, 1983, on a Jacksonville, North ...
|Ruth Bader Ginsburg films out Sept. 25
- As a tribute of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life and legacy, Focus Features and Magnolia Pictures will be re-releasing On the Basis of Sex and RBGboth films about GinsburgFriday, Sept. 25 in theaters, ...
|Trans Puerto Rico icon dies at 73
- Soraya Santiagothe first person from Puerto Rico known to have undergone gender reassignment surgery and a longtime icon for the U.S. territory's LGBTQ communityhas died of cancer, ABC News reported. She was 73. Santiago had frequented ...
|PASSAGES Gay business owner/nightlife figure Bob Yeaworth dies 2020-09-20|
- Gay business owner and promoter Robert "Bob" Yeaworth died Sept. 14 from complications due to his ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) diagnosis. He was 64. Yeaworth was born Sept. 17, 1955 in Cincinnati, Ohio, ...
|PASSAGES Wayland D. Rogers 2020-09-19|
- Wayland D. Rogersa singer, conductor, teacher and celebrated composer based in Chicagopassed away Sept. 9 after a long illness. He was 78. Rogers was born to Othal and Dova (Barrier) Rogers on Dec. 26, 1941, in ...
|NCLR mourns LGBTQ equality champion Justice Ginsburg 2020-09-19|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) mourns the tragic loss of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg — a true champion for LGBTQ rights in her 27 years on the U.S. Supreme Court. ...
|Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an important voice for LGBT people 2020-09-19|
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the justice with the most pro-LGBT voting record in the history of the court, died Friday following a long struggle with cancer. As hundreds of people gathered on the ...
|Supreme Ct. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at age 87
- U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died Sept. 18, multiple media outlets reported. She was 87. President Bill Clinton appointed Ginsburg to the nation's highest court in 1993, making her the second woman to be ...
|Former PFLAG board member Rev. Gil Caldwell dies 2020-09-16|
- Former PFLAG National board member Rev. Dr. Gilbert H. Caldwell passed away, the organization announced in a press release. A retired United Methodist Church minister, Caldwell participated in the 1963 March on Washington, the 1964 Mississippi ...
|PASSAGES Gay philanthropist Henry van Ameringen dies 2020-09-16|
- Henry van Ameringen, a major donor to LGBTQ+ and HIV organizations, died Sept. 9. He was 90, according to a Plus magazine item. Lambda Legal CEO Kevin Jennings said in a statement that Windy City Times ...
|PASSAGES Computer programmer/Chi-Town Squares member Bill Klein passes away 2020-09-16|
- Longtime Chi-Town Squares member and COBOL computer programmer William "Bill" Michael Klein died Sept. 5 due to health complications after he fell down in his home a few days prior. He was 70. Klein was born ...