||Nikki Giovanni raps about rap
by Yasmin Nair
This article shared 6885 times since Sat Nov 1, 2008
The poet and author Nikki Giovanni is best known for her essays and poetry on Black history and civil rights issues. Over the last 10 years, she's also become renowned for her children's books. These include 2005's Rosa, on the late Rosa Parks.
Giovanni, a Distinguished Professor of English at Virginia Tech, was recently in Chicago as part of a book tour to launch the publication of her two latest children's books, Hip Hop Speaks to Children: A Celebration of Poetry with a Beat and Lincoln and Douglass. She spoke at Women and Children First to a packed audience of approximately 125. Although the Oct. 18 event was billed as a 'family event' and began at 4:30 p.m. to accommodate children's schedules, only a dozen or so of the attendees were actually children.
The author spoke first about Hip Hop Speaks to Children, in a rapid-fire style, while slipping in an occasional comment about the current election season, much to the delight of her adult audience. Giovanni spoke about why she felt the need to write a children's book about Hip Hop. Criticizing 'cultural critics' like Bill Cosby, she said that the blanket condemnation of the music genre as dangerous and violent was unwarranted: 'Somebody needs to show these kids [ the musicians ] respect. Somebody my age needs to speak up.'
The book is designed as an anthology of poetry, featuring the work of gay icons Langston Hughes and Gwendolyn Brooks, as well as other entertainers such as Queen Latifah; it comes with a CD of performances. Giovanni said her intent was to show children Hip Hop's history as an established music tradition with roots going back to the 'vernacular' and oral traditions of rhythm and communication, including the seemingly remote traditions of Italian opera and the more readily seen influences of traditional sermons in Black churches. Giovanni appeared particularly concerned about letting children and youth know that there were distinctions in the genre itself: 'If we show [ children ] the breadth and reach of Hip Hop, we give them the tools to see which kind is legitimate and which is not.'
Speaking about Lincoln and Douglass, Giovanni said her attempt in this book was to provide an illustrated story about the friendship between Abraham Lincoln and the abolitionist Frederick Douglass.
Photo of Giovanni by Yasmin Nair
This article shared 6885 times since Sat Nov 1, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|SHOWBIZ Viola Davis, Tyler Posey, Elton John, Tegan and Sara 2020-10-26|
- Ma Rainey's Black Bottom will premiere on Netflix on Dec. 18, a press release noted. The moviebased on the August Wilson playwill star Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Glynn Turman and Colman Domingo. In the film and ...
|'V for Vendetta' at Music Box Oct. 30. includes talk with Wachowski
- The 15th-anniversary theatrical re-release of V for Vendetta, which now includes bonus content—a 13-minute, pre-recorded conversation with director James McTeigue and writer/producer Lana Wachowski—will run at the Music Box Theatre ...
|Jeannie Tanner releases inspirational song, art-inclusive video
- Local singer-songwriter Jeannie Tanner has released her new single and video, "I Wanna Be the Change." According to a press release, the song was inspired by many of the speeches of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ...
|Queen + Adam Lambert release first live album 2020-10-15|
- Queen + Adam Lambert have released their first-ever live album, Queen + Adam Lambert: Live Around the World. The release is in CD, CD+DVD, CD+Blu-ray and vinyl formats. The set presents a compilation of concert highlights ...
|Linda Ronstadt, Danny Glover, Beto O' Rourke in 'All Souls to the Polls'
- More than 50 artists, social justice and grassroots activists from across the country have created two nights of concerts to spur national voter turnout, with "All Souls to the Polls" on Oct. 17-18 at 7 p.m. ...
|50-50 All Souls to the Polls benefit concert to get out the vote 2020-10-13|
--From a press release - Oct. 13, 2020-(Chicago, IL) - A coalition of the nation's top arts presenters have joined forces to create a 6 hour "People's Benefit Concert" to spur Get Out The Vote action in all fifty states. More ...
|Sarah Brightman in Chicago in Dec. 2021 2020-10-13|
- Soprano Sarah Brightman will bring "HYMN: Sarah Brightman In Concert" to the historic Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., on Friday, Dec. 10, 2021 at 8 p.m. CDT. To enhance her world of enchantment, ...
|Philharmonic orchestra's free virtual concert Oct. 24
- Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra (IPO), named 2020 Professional Orchestra of the Year by Illinois Council of Orchestras, announced its virtual opening night concert, "IPO Reimagined," featuring 30 IPO string players performing ...
|Collaborate Arts Institute to mark 10th anniversary 2020-10-12|
- Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC), 7409 N. Greenview Ave., is celebrating its 10th-anniversary season with fall offerings that include the annual Collaborative Works Festival, two recitals as part of the Lieder Lounge series and the ...
|SHOWBIZ Diversity report, Zachary Quinto, 'Schitt's Creek,' Mariah Carey 2020-10-12|
- In a new report from the UCLA-based Center for Scholars and Storytellers titled "Beyond Checking A Box: A Lack of Authentically Inclusive Representation Has Costs at the Box Office," researchers found that bringing authentic diversity to ...
|"All Souls to the Polls" concerts to help fund GOTV efforts 2020-10-11|
--From a press release - Chicago, ILAdding art to the urgency of ensuring a robust voter turnout for what all consider to be 'the most important election of our lifetimes, more than 50 artists and activists from 50 states have created ...
|SHOWBIZ Whitney Houston, all-trans 'Brokeback,' Sam Smith, 'Chicago Med' 2020-10-05|
- A hologram of the late Whitney Houston was used in a livestream showallegedly without permission from her estate, NME.com reported. Hologram USA founder Alki David had originally worked on Houston's likeness in 2016. The hologram appeared ...
|Around the World in 80 Minutes, Chicago Gay Men's Chorus virtual cabaret in October 2020-10-01|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, October 1, 2020 Chicago Gay Men's Chorus kicks off Season 37 with Around the World in 80 Minutes, a virtual cabaret featuring a small cast of 24 virtual performers that will take you on ...
|Feminist icon/singer Helen Reddy dies at 78
- Helen Reddythe Australian-born singer whose 1972 hit song "I Am Woman" made her a feminist icondied Sept. 29 in Los Angeles. She was 78. According to The New York Times, Reddy suffered for decades from Addison's ...
MUSIC Davis Mallory name-drops Jane Fonda with new song 2020-09-29|
- Openly gay singer Davis Mallory has debuted a new pop song called "Jane Fonda" for the masses. The track was written in Stockholm, Sweden and the video was directed by Cooper Smith in Nashville, Tennessee. Many ...