Chicago Sister Cities International and Casa Mexico, Ciudad de Mexico will commemorate the one-week anniversary of the devastating Mexico City earthquake with a moment of silence and fundraiser on Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017, from 12:15 to 1:30 p.m. At 1:14 p.m. there will be aMoment of Silence in honor of those who lost their lives in the devastating earthquake that struck Mexico on September 19 at 1:14 p.m. The event will be held at Chicago Cultural Center, Preston Bradley Hall, 78 E. Washington Street.
Mexico City Earthquake Commemoration Ceremony and Fundraiser funds raised will go to the American Red Cross' Mexico Earthquake Relief Fund.
Speakers will include:
- Carlos Martin Jimenez Macias, Consul General of Mexico in Chicago
- Andrea Zopp, Deputy Mayor, City of Chicago
- Leroy Allala, Executive Director, Chicago Sister Cities International
- Juan Ochoa, National Coordinator, Casa Mexico, Ciudad de Mexico
- Celena Roldan, CEO, American Red Cross of Chicago & Northern Illinois
- Jesus G. Garcia, Cook County Board Commissioner, 7th District
- George Cardenas, Alderman, 12th Ward, City of Chicago
- Raymond Lopez, Alderman, 15th Ward, City of Chicago
- Rick Munoz, Alderman, 22nd Ward, City of Chicago
The American Red Cross of Chicago & Northern Illinois will be on site to collect donations; people can also donate at www.chicagosistercities.com .
Chicago and Mexico City have shared a strong sister city relationship since 1991, and have worked together on numerous programs and exchanges to benefit the citizens of both cities. An estimated 1.55 million Mexican Americans reside in the Chicago area.