Fortunate Families, Inc., Catholic Family, Friends & Allies Ministry Supporting LGBTQ+ Sisters and Brothers, today sent a letter to Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops ( USCCB ), who personally met with Pope Francis yesterday. Fortunate Families is asking Cardinal DiNardo to urge his brother bishops to state clearly and emphatically that:
- gay priests and homosexuality are not the cause of the present crisis in the Church.
- gay priests have gifts and talents that are valued and essential in building up the Body of Christ.
- LGBTQ+ persons are not more prone to abusing or molesting other people nor covering up criminal activity than heterosexual persons, and condemn the statements made by your brother bishops that indicate otherwise.
- the USCCB intends to create opportunity for open and honest conversation with LGBTQ+ persons regarding their spirituality, sexuality and their rightful place in the mission and ministry of the Church.
- the USCCB resolves to eradicate all forms of clericalism and empower the laity in establishing and governing new structures within the Church that address accountability and provide honest evaluation of bishops, pastors and other priests.
- the USCCB acknowledges and asks forgiveness for inflicting pain and judgment upon LGBTQ+ laity, religious, deacons, clergy and bishops by their words - both written and spoken.
THE FULL LETTER CAN BE FOUND AT FORTUNATEFAMILIES.COM .
From a press release