||Kate Millett, Dorothy Allison At U of C Feminism Confab
Feminism has rethought and transformed almost every area of modern life. On Saturday, Feb. 28, writers, scholars and activists who defined its past and those who are creating its future will come together at Back to the Future: Generations of Feminism, to rethink feminism's history and goals. The conference, sponsored by the University of Chicago's Center for Gender Studies, will run the gamut from bestsellers and activists to deconstructionists. It will include writers like Kate Millett, Michele Faith Wallace and Dorothy Allison, whose books stirred controversy and brought feminism's goals to the public from the '70s through the '90s, as well as scholars like Gayatri Spivak, who helped create Post-Colonial studies.
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Panel talks lesbians, feminism in Chicago during the '70s and '80s 2020-02-19|
Extended for the online edition of Windy City Times - Lesbians and Feminism in Chicago in the 1970s and '80s was the focus of a panel discussion Feb. 12 at Gerber/Hart Library and Archives (Gerber/Hart). The event took place in conjunction with Gerber/Hart's current exhibit, "Lavender ...
|Funny Feminism: Podcast "The Guilty Feminist" comes to Chicago 2020-01-03|
- Deborah Frances-White knew there was humor to be mined from her bungled attempts to be a good feminist. Which is why the U.K.-based Australian comedian/writer/producer co-created the comedy podcast The ...
|Intersectional feminism meets coffee table books in 'HERstory,' 'Revolution'
- The Revolution is Female Author: Kristen Blush. $61; Blush; 128 pages Modern HERstory Author: Blair Imani. $17.99; Ten Speed Press; 208 pages What does Trump's America mean for feminism? For one, the rise of activism among ...
|Funding Feminism Author Johnson Book Lecture and Signing Oct. 23 2018-10-08|
- Author Joan Marie Johnson will conduct a book lecture and signing, co-sponsored by The Chicago Women's History Center, at 6 p.m. on Oct. 23 at The Newberry Library, 60 W. Walton St., Chicago. In her book ...
|Professor speaks on 'Black Feminisms and the Mutability of Gender' 2018-02-27|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Cornell University Associate Professor of Africana Studies C. Riley Snorton kicked off the University of Chicago's (UChicago's) Center for the Study of Gender and Sexuality (CSGS ) speaker series with ...
|Catholics launch initiative to celebrate feminism, activism, faith 2018-01-10|
From a press release - New York, NY and global locations: Inspired by the global women's marches one year ago, and aware that the Roman Catholic Church and religious institutions around the world are in dire need of an infusion of ...
|SCOTTISH PLAY SCOTT Firebrand feminism with 'Lizzie' 2017-11-08|
- Timing can be everything, even if it's unintentional. That's what the new Firebrand Theatre in Chicago lucked out on last year when its founding members announced their mission to create the world's first feminist musical theater ...
|Red 7 Salon hosts gender-neutral feminism exhibit 2017-01-04|
- Red 7 Salon, 210 W. Kinzie St., has shot and organized photos by Karmen Elaine that focuses on the meaning of feminism. According to the salon, the goal of the gender-neutral/non-gender binary photo shoot is "to ...
|NOW celebrates 50 years of grassroots feminism in 2016 2016-02-23|
From a press release - Washington, DC - The National Organization of Women (NOW), the iconic activist organization that promotes equal rights for women, will be celebrating its anniversary at the 50th Anniversary Gala and NOW Conference, June 24-26, 2016. NOW's ...
|Creating Change panel addresses Black Feminism 2016-01-25|
Video below article - Activists Barbara Smith, Reina Gossett and Charlene Carruthers reflected on the impact of the Black Feminist movement in contemporary racial justice movements in the opening plenary session for the 2016 Creating Change conference Jan. 21. Stacey ...
|Ask a Feminist: Cathy Cohen on Black Lives Matter, feminism 2015-12-30|
A conversation with Sarah J. Jackson - Introduction. I had the pleasure of having this conversation with Cathy Cohen, the David and Mary Winton Green Professor of Political Science and chair of political science at the University of Chicago, in late 2015. Cohen's ...
talks Axelrod, identity
and feminism 2015-03-24|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Lambda Literary award-winning author Victoria Brownworth contributes regularly to a respectable arrangement of global publications, including The Advocate, SheWired, Curve, and Huffington Post. With an array of viable options from ...
|CFW panel talks
race, feminism 2015-02-17|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - Chicago Foundation for Women (CFW) kicked off the new year and its 30th anniversary year with "Race & Feminism: Where Do You Stand?" at the Chicago Cultural Center on Feb. 10. "Race & Feminism: Where Do ...
|Exhibit incorporates queer thought, feminism 2014-03-04|
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times - #FOLLOWUS, which opened Feb. 28 at the Gray Center Lab, 929 E. 60th St., is presented as a history of the untold, forgotten and unofficial narratives from the University of Chicago from 1893 to 2013. A ...
|Forum looks at feminism and Steinem's legacy 2012-01-25|
- A recent panel discussion at Northwestern University focused on feminism and Gloria Steinem's legacy. The event featured four panelists: Veronica Arreola, assistant director of the Center for Research on Women and Gender and the director of ...