WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gay man among finalists for associate judgeships
The Nominating Committee of the Circuit Court of Cook County announced its 30 candidates who will seek appointment to 15 associate judge vacancies by a vote of the circuit judges.
All of the candidates received across-the-board positive ratings from the bar associations.
Out individual Michael A. Forti is among the candidates. In 2016, The Illinois Supreme Court appointed Forti to the 8th Subcircuit vacancy recently created by the passing of Justice Laura Cha-yu Liu; his appointment ended Dec. 3, 2018. He is currently a judge in the Domestic Relations division of the Circuit Court of Cook County; that term ends Dec. 7, 2020.
During the next few weeks, the candidates will present their credentials to the circuit judges. The Nominating Committee, in an effort to assist the process, has established receptions in Chicago on Nov. 12-14 for Circuit Judges to meet the candidates. Set times also have been established in additional courthouses for judges to meet the candidates.
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lightfoot imposes curfew on city, cracks down on bars
- In light of a spike of coronavirus infections in the city, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot followed through Oct. 22 by imposing a 10 p.m. curfew on all nonessential city businesses, The Chicago Tribune reported. In addition, ...
|Inclusive curriculum tools offered to schools during LGBTQ History Month 2020-10-20|
--From a press release - October is LGBTQ History Month, and a coalition of LGBTQ organizations are celebrating by making tools available to school administrators, educators, youth, and families to help implement the state's new Inclusive Curriculum Law. The Illinois Inclusiv ...
|WORLD French plan, 'gay panic' defense, trans youth case, Northern Triangle 2020-10-19|
- The French government unveiled a national plan to combat hatred and discrimination against LGBTQ people, and the initiative emphasises the importance of inclusive education in stamping out homophobia, RFI.fr reported. The three-year plan aims to make ...
|Alliance of Illinois Judges hosting 'Coming Out Stories' 2020-10-14|
- In celebration of National Coming Out Day (which took place Oct. 11), the Alliance of Illinois Judges (AIJ) unveiled the short film Coming Out Stories. Coming Out Stories features members of the judiciary sharing coming out ...
|LGBT issues front and center on Barrett hearing second day 2020-10-14|
- LGBT issues were front and center in Day Two of the confirmation hearing for U.S. Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett, with Democrats and even a few Republicans attempting to clarify how she might approach such ...
|Born Perfect responds to Barrett's use of "preference" 2020-10-13|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC — Today during confirmation hearings in front of the United States Senate Judiciary Committee, Judge Amy Coney Barrett used the dangerous term "sexual preference" when responding to Sen. Dianne Feinstein about her commitment to ...
|LETTER TO THE EDITOR Lambda Legal responds to nomination of Judge Barrett 2020-10-13|
--From a press release - Lambda Legal sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee urging its members to oppose Judge Amy Coney Barrett. The rushed confirmation hearings began today for President Trump's nominee to fill the seat of the late ...
|Supreme Court nominee Barrett's past comments troubling 2020-10-13|
- U.S. Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett, whose confirmation hearing began Monday, predicted in 2016 that "religious exemption cases" were going to be big in the coming years, as well as cases deciding whether there can ...
|WORLD India couple, Japan items, pro-trans writers, Nigeria job fair 2020-10-12|
- In India, a same-sex couple approached the Delhi High Court seeking legal recognition of their marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, India.com reported. The petitioners, an Indian citizen and an overseas citizen, are two gay men ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|NATIONAL Attacks, TGNC emojis, lawsuits, 'Divas for Democracy'
- A 24-year-old man was punched in the face and called an anti-gay slur while filming a TikTok video with a female friend in lower Manhattan, and police are investigating the attack as a hate crime, according ...
|Threat to marriage equality looms at Supreme Court, Lambda Legal responds 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., October 5, 2020) — Today, in a statement in Davis v. Ermold, authored by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and joined by Justice Samuel Alito, the Justices indicated a desire to overturn Obergefell v. ...
|Newsom appoints first LGBTQ+ member to Calif. Supreme Court
- On Oct. 5, California Gov. Gavin Newsom appointed a new state Supreme Court justice, naming Martin Jenkins as the court's first openly gay, third Black man on the judicial panel, The Merced Sun-Star reported. Jenkins, a ...
|$4M gift for IU McKinney School of Law focuses on LGBTQ rights, diversity 2020-10-02|
--From a press release - INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law has announced a significant $4 million gift from IU alumnus Steve Tuchman and his husband, Reed Bobrick. The gift will support the creation of an ...
|LGBTQ HISTORY MONTH: United States Naval Academy evolves with LGBTQ acceptance 2020-10-01|
By Jeremy Rodriguez - Before graduating from the United States Naval Academy in 1985, Paula Neira had difficulties accepting she was trans. "I was fighting this internal battle, but asking for help would've gotten me kicked out," Neira said. ...