BEST IN CINEMA 2000
1. The Virgin Suicides: If this glorious and diaphanous film adaptation of Jeffrey Eugenides novel means that Sofia Coppola will be spending more time behind the camera than in front of it, I'm all for it.
2. Wonder Boys: Michael Douglas can act!!
3. Chuck & Buck: Lupe Ontiveros deserves a best supporting actress nod.
4. (tie) Dancer In The Dark and Requiem For A Dream: Dark dreams make great movies.
5. Traffic: The first of Steven Soderbergh's two major accomplishments this year.
6. (tie) Erin Brockovich and Nurse Betty: Julia Roberts can act!! and Neil LaBute's dark sense of humor gets lighter.
7. The Eyes Of Tammy Faye: With this movie and 101 Rent Boys, Randy Barbato and Fenton Bailey are currently the greatest living documentary filmmakers.
8. High Fidelity: The best music movie of the year.
9. You Can Count On Me: With her lead performance in this movie and her evil supporting performance in The House Of Mirth, Laura Linney has arrived.
10. Unbreakable: Better than The Sixth Sense.
11. The House Of Mirth: Gillian Anderson can act!!
12. The Life & Times of Hank Greenberg: I hate baseball and I loved this movie. So did my grandfather.
13. Saving Grace: Brenda Blethyn is a blessing.
14. Almost Famous: The second best music movie of the year.
15. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Everybody was kung fu fighting!
Best gay movies of the year
1. Before Night Falls
3. The Broken Hearts Club
Best Director: (tie) Sofia Coppola (Virgin Suicides) and Steven Soderbergh (Traffic and Erin Brockovich)
Best actor: Michael Douglas (Wonder Boys and Traffic—he can act!!). Best actress: (3-way tie) Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich), Gillian Anderson (The House Of Mirth), and Laura Linney (You Can Count On Me). Best actor in a supporting role: Robert Downey Jr. (Wonder Boys). Best actress in a supporting role: (tie) Ellen Burstyn (Requiem For A Dream and The Yards) and Lupe Ontiveros (Chuck & Buck)
Copyright © 2001 Lambda Publications Inc. All rights reserved. Lambda publishes Windy City Times, The Weekly Voice of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Trans Community, Nightlines, Out Resource Guide, Clout! Business Report, Blacklines and En La Vida. 1115 W. Belmont 2D, Chicago, IL 60657; PH (773) 871-7610; FAX (773) 871-7609. Web at outlineschicago.com E-mail feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org!