WINDY CITY TIMES
||Department of Justice will not defend SLDN lawsuit
From a news release
( WASHINGTON, DC ) The Department of Justice today sent a letter to House Speaker John Boehner ( R-OH ) stating its position with respect to McLaughlin et. al v. Panetta et. al., which challenges the so-called Defense of Marriage Act ( DOMA ) and federal statutes related to benefits for the spouses of service members and veterans. Army Veteran and SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis issued the following statement:
"We are pleased that the Attorney General has decided not to defend the constitutionality of DOMA in the military context, just as he has declined to defend it in other contexts. We are also delighted that, for the first time, he has said that separate definitions that apply to military veterans are also unconstitutional. This is an important step for the McLaughlin plaintiffs."
For more information on SLDN's lawsuit, click here: www.sldn.org
ABOUT SLDN: Servicemembers Legal Defense Network ( SLDN ) is a non-partisan, non-profit, legal services and policy organization dedicated to bringing about full LGBT equality to America's military and ending all forms of discrimination and harassment of military personnel on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. SLDN provides free and direct legal assistance to service members and veterans affected by the repealed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law and the prior regulatory ban on open service, as well as those currently serving who may experience harassment or discrimination. Since 1993, our in-house legal team has responded to more than 11,000 requests for assistance. To learn more, visit www.sldn.org .
SLDN FREE HOTLINE: Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender service members with questions are urged to contact the SLDN hotline to speak with a staff attorney: Call 1-800-538-7418 or 202-328-3244 x100.
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Pope calls for same-sex civil unions in documentary (UPDATED) 2020-10-21|
- In a departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office, Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome, NBC News noted. "Homosexuals ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|Threat to marriage equality looms at Supreme Court, Lambda Legal responds 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., October 5, 2020) — Today, in a statement in Davis v. Ermold, authored by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and joined by Justice Samuel Alito, the Justices indicated a desire to overturn Obergefell v. ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|NATIONAL Bakery situation, tribal marriage, anti-LGBTQ crimes, Penn. lawmakers 2020-08-10|
- Extreme right-wing organization the Church Militant requested that Detroit bakery Good Cakes and Bakes co-owner April Anderson (who's LGBTQ) put on a cake, "Homosexual acts are gravely evil. (Catholic Catechism ...
|WORLD Israel incident, Cayman marriage, singer comes out, Poland arrests 2020-08-10|
- The Israel Police arrested a 16-year-old from the central Israeli city of Lod on suspicion that he took part in a violent attack on two young gay men in the Jaffa Port, Haaretz reported. The suspect ...
|Ken Ilio, one of the first gay men to marry in Illinois, dies at 63 2020-08-02|
- Keneth Yerro Iliowho became one of the first gay men to wed in Illinois when he married Ron Dorfman in December 2013has died in Chicago. He was 63. Windy City Times reported that on Dec. 16, ...
|NATIONAL Marriage video, non-binary person killed, memo, Buttigieg, Fauci 2020-07-13|
- U.S. District Judge William Orrick, a federal judge in San Francisco, ordered videos of a landmark 2010 trial that led to the striking down of California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage be released next month, Politico ...
|Chicago church that hosted historic same-sex event demolished 2020-07-08|
- Following an extended effort to save the building, Misericordia Homes recently demolished the former Chicago Town and Tennis Club/Unity Church building at 1925 W. Thome Ave., in the West Ridge area of the city. Originally designed ...
|Consulates holding Pride talk June 30 2020-06-28|
- On Tuesday, June 30, at 12 p.m., the Australian and Irish consulates of Chicago will hold a Pride virtual panel. Participants will celebrate the marriage equality campaigns of both countries and discuss the ongoing work to ...
|NCLR celebrates five-year anniversary of Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality 2020-06-26|
- WASHINGTON, DC — The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) today joins with millions of LGBTQ people and allies in celebrating the five-year anniversary of the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling establishing marriage equality in all ...
|Study says LGBT emotional well-being improved post marriage equality ruling 2020-06-10|
- A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, which extended marriage equality nationwide in June 2015, had a positive impact on ...
|WORLD Zambia pardon, fashion house, HIV+ mayor, Costa Rica marriage
- Zambia's president pardoned a gay couple sentenced to 15 years in prison in November under colonial-era sodomy laws in a case that caused a diplomatic conflict with the United States, Reuters reported. Japhet Chataba, 39, and ...
|Report: Same-sex weddings boost state economies $3.8 B since marriage equality ruling 2020-05-29|
- More than half of all married same-sex couples in the United States married after the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, which extended marriage equality nationwide in June 2015. Wedding spending by these 293,000 ...