Tuesday, May 14 Chicago, IL To mark the arrival of Cirque du Soleil's latest spellbinding production, VOLTA, in Chicago, more than 60 men and women, including many Chicagoans, pushed more than 100 supporting poles to raise the canvas of the iconic Big Top to its final position for the opening of the show on Friday, May 18!
30 years in Chicago
2019 is a special year for Chicago and Cirque du Soleil as it marks the 30th anniversary of the coming of the circus troupe in the Windy City. Indeed, the first-ever Cirque du Soleil touring show to visit the USA, CIRQUE REINVENTE , stopped by Chicago in 1989 for the first time. This year, VOLTA will then be the 25th production to be presented in the area since the Canadian company first visited.
30 years in numbers:
* Cirque du Soleil visited Chicago for the first time 30 years ago with CIRQUE REINVENTE in 1989
* VOLTA is the 25th Cirque du Soleil production to visit the Chicago area
* VOLTA is the FIRST show to ever be presented at Soldier Field
* Chicago is the 10th city to be visited by VOLTA in the USA
* VOLTA employs 200 local employees from Chicago for the duration of its stay
A few facts about the VOLTA Big Top:
* The Big Top seats more than 2,500 people
* The entire site set-up takes six days. This includes installation of the Big Top, the entrance tent, the VIP tent and the rehearsal spaces
* The Big Top is held down by roughly 500 stakes
* The Big Top can withstand winds up to 120 km/h ( 75 mph )
* It measures 167 feet in diameter and is supported by four 80-feet steel masts
* The cupola is 62 feet above the ground
* The light-colored canvas helps counter the effects of the sun, thereby reducing energy consumption and minimizing greenhouse gas emissions
* VOLTA travels via 72 trailer trucks carrying close to 2,000 tons of equipment
Energetic, urban and contemporary, VOLTA is a captivating voyage of discovery that showcases never-before-seen under the Big Top acrobatics in a visually striking world. Driven by a stirring melodic score and inspired in part by the adventurous spirit that fuels the culture of street sports, VOLTA is a story of transformation. It is about being true to oneself, fulfilling one's true potential, and recognizing one's own power to make it possible. Ultimate freedom comes with self-acceptance, and with the liberation of the judgement of others.
VOLTA gratefully acknowledges its Official Partners, Hennessy Black and Champagne Nicolas Feuillatte.
From a press release