||Anti-Same-Sex Anti-Same-Sex Marriage Initiative Returns
This article shared 7259 times since Fri Jun 1, 2007
Nine months after the Illinois State Board of Elections refused to certify an anti-same-sex marriage referendum proposed by the conservative group Protect Marriage Illinois ( PMI ) , it appears that another drive to place the same measure on the 2008 ballot.
The Gay Liberation Network ( GLN ) recently issued a press release discussing the new drive, with lists of advantages and drawbaks that anti- and pro-LGBT supporters have.
Last summer, several organizations—including GLN and Fair Illinois—countered PMI's referendum push by checking the validity of hundreds of thousands of signatures. However, However, a sample of the names did not satisfy the state's requirement of 95 percent; only 91 percent were considered valid, leading the elections board to issue its ruling on Aug. 11.
The GLN release states, in part, that 'anti-gay forces have several advantages ... compared to their last effort,' among them experienced conservative activists who will not repeat the errors committed last year. However, the statement also mentions splits in the anti-LGBT contingent ( naming Peter LaBarbera's departure from the Illinois Family Institute ) and Illinois itself becoming increasing pro-LGBT as reasons for the gay community to be optimistic.
The referendum drive comes as House Bill 1826, which would grant same-sex couples in Illinois civil unions, is being considered in the state House. In February, Harris introduced a bill, the Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act, which would legalize same-sex marriage in Illinois. However, after speaking with his colleagues, he decided it would be best to take a different approach in order to give gay Illinoisans the rights and protections they need as soon as possible.
In opposition to the drive, the GLN has already started what it calls the 'Occupation Project,' which would involve 'a non-violent occupation of the Cook County marriag elicense bureau in the event of a passsage of the advisory referendum in November 2008.' The plan's pledge is at the organization's Web site, www.GayLiberation.net .
This article shared 7259 times since Fri Jun 1, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Pope calls for same-sex civil unions in documentary (UPDATED) 2020-10-21|
- In a departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office, Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome, NBC News noted. "Homosexuals ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|Threat to marriage equality looms at Supreme Court, Lambda Legal responds 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., October 5, 2020) — Today, in a statement in Davis v. Ermold, authored by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and joined by Justice Samuel Alito, the Justices indicated a desire to overturn Obergefell v. ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|NATIONAL Bakery situation, tribal marriage, anti-LGBTQ crimes, Penn. lawmakers 2020-08-10|
- Extreme right-wing organization the Church Militant requested that Detroit bakery Good Cakes and Bakes co-owner April Anderson (who's LGBTQ) put on a cake, "Homosexual acts are gravely evil. (Catholic Catechism ...
|WORLD Israel incident, Cayman marriage, singer comes out, Poland arrests 2020-08-10|
- The Israel Police arrested a 16-year-old from the central Israeli city of Lod on suspicion that he took part in a violent attack on two young gay men in the Jaffa Port, Haaretz reported. The suspect ...
|Ken Ilio, one of the first gay men to marry in Illinois, dies at 63 2020-08-02|
- Keneth Yerro Iliowho became one of the first gay men to wed in Illinois when he married Ron Dorfman in December 2013has died in Chicago. He was 63. Windy City Times reported that on Dec. 16, ...
|NATIONAL Marriage video, non-binary person killed, memo, Buttigieg, Fauci 2020-07-13|
- U.S. District Judge William Orrick, a federal judge in San Francisco, ordered videos of a landmark 2010 trial that led to the striking down of California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage be released next month, Politico ...
|Chicago church that hosted historic same-sex event demolished 2020-07-08|
- Following an extended effort to save the building, Misericordia Homes recently demolished the former Chicago Town and Tennis Club/Unity Church building at 1925 W. Thome Ave., in the West Ridge area of the city. Originally designed ...
|Consulates holding Pride talk June 30 2020-06-28|
- On Tuesday, June 30, at 12 p.m., the Australian and Irish consulates of Chicago will hold a Pride virtual panel. Participants will celebrate the marriage equality campaigns of both countries and discuss the ongoing work to ...
|NCLR celebrates five-year anniversary of Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality 2020-06-26|
- WASHINGTON, DC — The National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR) today joins with millions of LGBTQ people and allies in celebrating the five-year anniversary of the landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling establishing marriage equality in all ...
|Study says LGBT emotional well-being improved post marriage equality ruling 2020-06-10|
- A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, which extended marriage equality nationwide in June 2015, had a positive impact on ...
|WORLD Zambia pardon, fashion house, HIV+ mayor, Costa Rica marriage
- Zambia's president pardoned a gay couple sentenced to 15 years in prison in November under colonial-era sodomy laws in a case that caused a diplomatic conflict with the United States, Reuters reported. Japhet Chataba, 39, and ...
|Report: Same-sex weddings boost state economies $3.8 B since marriage equality ruling 2020-05-29|
- More than half of all married same-sex couples in the United States married after the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, which extended marriage equality nationwide in June 2015. Wedding spending by these 293,000 ...