WINDY CITY TIMES
||Passages: columnist Gay Boy Ric
This article shared 8588 times since Wed Feb 25, 2004
Windy City Times TV columnist Gay Boy Ric, a frequent guest on The Howard Stern Show and known for his 'fuck Eminem' Web site, has died. His mother sent WCT a note notifying us that he had died in Los Angeles after an illness.
Gay Boy Ric was an actor/writer/comedian and pop/rap singer. He performed numerous one-man shows in L.A. and New York, most recently Gay Boy Ric: For Straight Guys Only! at Theatre/Theatre in L.A. and Surfing with The Straight Boys at The Comedy Store in L.A. In addition, he wrote a nationally syndicated column called GAY TV and was host of The Gay Boy Ric TV Show, seen on several public access stations in L.A. A regular feature on the The GBR TV Show is 'The Keanu Song Corner,' during which GBR and guitarist Dylan Kelly perform acoustic garage tributes to Keanu Reeves, including 'Keanu, I'm Yours,' '(Keanu, I'm Already) Torn,' 'Keanu Wants It That Way,' and 'Visions of Keanu.' Ric discussed Eminem and performed his MP3 single on MTV's FANOGRAPHY: EMINEM, MuchMusic Canada's NEW MUSIC show and on PUBLIC EMINEM NUMBER ONE, a documentary that aired on the U.K. music channel PLAY UK and BBC Choice. As a pop/rap singer, GBR specialized in adapting classic rock and R&B songs to reflect and incorporate his own personal experiences. His 'boom-box-quality-only' cassette, Comin! At Ya!: The Ghetto-Blaster Bootleg Mix includes I'm Da Beastie Gay (Yo!), I'm Da Beastie Gay (a variation on Aerosmith's and Run-DMC's 'Walk This Way'), Boys, You Know It's True and Don't Blame It on The Gays. Reflective of how deeply entrenched homophobia is in the music industry, Billboard magazine once tried to censor a GBR ad in their annual rap issue simply because it contained the song title, I'm Into GUYS! 'They refused to print the title I'm Into GUYS!,' recounted GBR, 'even though the issue had song titles like 'Suck on This, Bitch.' The matter was only resolved when it was brought down to ad dollars and cents. I said I would withdraw the ad completely unless the title stayed. Rather than lose the ad, the magazine agreed to run the ad in its entirety.'
Ric was born in Lake Charles, La., and was raised as a military kid overseas in Turkey and Spain. 'We were Military Kids, not military brats!,' Ric said. 'It was the Embassy Kids who were the real brats!' Even as a young child growing up in Turkey and Spain, Gay Boy Ric liked to hang out in coffee shops and drink black coffee.
This article shared 8588 times since Wed Feb 25, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Groundbreaking U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein passes away at 90 2023-09-29|
- Dianne Feinstein—the oldest member of the U.S. Senate and the longest-serving senator from California—has passed away at age 90. Feinstein had planned to retire at the end of her 2024 term, according to CNBC. Shecast her ...
|PASSAGES: Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo 2023-09-24|
- Queer Chicago musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, was fatally stabbed on the evening of Sept. 12 in his Avondale neighborhood apartment building. He died Sept. 15 at Illinois Masonic Hospital after ...
|Marge Summit's life to be celebrated Oct. 15 2023-09-15|
--From a press release - A celebration of the extraordinary life of Marge Summit, the legendary Chicago bar owner, promoter of live music artists, political advocate and much more who passed away on May 16, 2023. Born Sept. 3, 1935 in ...
|PASSAGES Beauman "Beau" Kent Breeden 2023-08-16|
- Beauman "Beau" Kent Breeden, 41, passed away Friday, Aug. 11, 2023. Beau is survived by his partner, Eddie Gamboa, and their rabbits Cap and Debbie, as well as queer family that went above and beyond to ...
|PASSAGES: Former OPALGA+ board member, editor JoAnn Ziebarth 2023-08-10|
- Former Oak Park Area Lesbian and Gay Association (OPALGA+) board member and editor JoAnn Ziebarth died July 18 after suffering a bad fall. She was 67. Ziebarth was born Dec. 27, 1955, in DeKalb, where ...
|Legendary film director William Friedkin dies at 87 2023-08-08|
- Famed movie director/producer/screenwriter William Friedkin has died at age 87. According to IMDb, Friedkin's career was extremely varied, as he directed everything from the classic horror film The Exorcist to the influential 1969 gay film The ...
|Singer Sinead O'Connor dies at 56 2023-07-26|
- Sinead O'Connor—the Irish singer and activist who scored a global smash with a cover of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U" in 1990 and who was banned from Saturday Night Live for tearing up a photo of ...
|PASSAGES Performer-teacher Jeffrey Stephen Carlson 2023-07-11|
- Jeffrey Stephen Carlson, 48, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood passed away July 6. He was both an accomplished Broadway actor and esteemed classical performer, as well as a dedicated teacher of Shakespeare, who leaves behind a legacy ...
|PASSAGES Radical poet, theorist, educator, activist Minnie Bruce Pratt 2023-07-07|
- Radical poet, essayist, educator, theorist and feminist, LGBTQ+, anti-racist and anti-imperialist activist Minnie Bruce Pratt died June 2 in Syracuse, New York surrounded by friends and family members, after a brief and sudden illness. She was ...
|Passages: Benjamin Feathers passes away 2023-07-06|
- Benjamin Feathers, "Pup Fenrir", 41, of Chicago's Uptown neighborhood, died in an apartment fire on July 1. Ben lived a very lively life. He was a lifestyle member of Chicago's Leather community. Like so many others, ...
|PASSAGES Music producer, vocalist, business owner Ralph Lampkin Jr. 2023-06-30|
- Music producer, vocalist and business owner Ralph Lampkin, Jr. died June 24 of a heart attack. He was 66. Lampkin was born April 29, 1957, in New York City, where he lived with his parents Ralph ...
|PASSAGES Athlete and retired restaurant manager Michael L. Reid 2023-06-17|
- Athlete and retired restaurant manager Michael L. Reid died peacefully under hospital care June 11 due to complications from a decade-long battle with cancer. He was 65. Reid was born February 28, 1958, in Dayton, Ohio ...
|Anti-LGBTQ+ televangelist Pat Robertson dies at 93 2023-06-08|
- The Rev. Marion Gordon "Pat" Robertsonan influential and controversial voice of conservative Christianity who even ran for president in 1988has died at age 93. The Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) initially ...
|Openly gay experimental artist/filmmaker Kenneth Anger dies at 96 2023-05-24|
- Experimental filmmaker and artist Kenneth Anger has died at age 96. According to Variety, his gallerySprueth Magers, operated by Monika Spruth and Philomene Magersconfirmed the news on their website, writing ...
|PASSAGES Chicago cultural and music advocate, poet, educator Diane Gomez 2023-05-18|
- Chicago cultural and music advocate, poet and educator Diane Gomez died May 5 due to complications from cancer. She was 70. Gomez was born September 28, 1952, on the South Side of Chicago to a very ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|