||Passages: columnist Gay Boy Ric
This article shared 7524 times since Wed Feb 25, 2004
Windy City Times TV columnist Gay Boy Ric, a frequent guest on The Howard Stern Show and known for his 'fuck Eminem' Web site, has died. His mother sent WCT a note notifying us that he had died in Los Angeles after an illness.
Gay Boy Ric was an actor/writer/comedian and pop/rap singer. He performed numerous one-man shows in L.A. and New York, most recently Gay Boy Ric: For Straight Guys Only! at Theatre/Theatre in L.A. and Surfing with The Straight Boys at The Comedy Store in L.A. In addition, he wrote a nationally syndicated column called GAY TV and was host of The Gay Boy Ric TV Show, seen on several public access stations in L.A. A regular feature on the The GBR TV Show is 'The Keanu Song Corner,' during which GBR and guitarist Dylan Kelly perform acoustic garage tributes to Keanu Reeves, including 'Keanu, I'm Yours,' '(Keanu, I'm Already) Torn,' 'Keanu Wants It That Way,' and 'Visions of Keanu.' Ric discussed Eminem and performed his MP3 single on MTV's FANOGRAPHY: EMINEM, MuchMusic Canada's NEW MUSIC show and on PUBLIC EMINEM NUMBER ONE, a documentary that aired on the U.K. music channel PLAY UK and BBC Choice. As a pop/rap singer, GBR specialized in adapting classic rock and R&B songs to reflect and incorporate his own personal experiences. His 'boom-box-quality-only' cassette, Comin! At Ya!: The Ghetto-Blaster Bootleg Mix includes I'm Da Beastie Gay (Yo!), I'm Da Beastie Gay (a variation on Aerosmith's and Run-DMC's 'Walk This Way'), Boys, You Know It's True and Don't Blame It on The Gays. Reflective of how deeply entrenched homophobia is in the music industry, Billboard magazine once tried to censor a GBR ad in their annual rap issue simply because it contained the song title, I'm Into GUYS! 'They refused to print the title I'm Into GUYS!,' recounted GBR, 'even though the issue had song titles like 'Suck on This, Bitch.' The matter was only resolved when it was brought down to ad dollars and cents. I said I would withdraw the ad completely unless the title stayed. Rather than lose the ad, the magazine agreed to run the ad in its entirety.'
Ric was born in Lake Charles, La., and was raised as a military kid overseas in Turkey and Spain. 'We were Military Kids, not military brats!,' Ric said. 'It was the Embassy Kids who were the real brats!' Even as a young child growing up in Turkey and Spain, Gay Boy Ric liked to hang out in coffee shops and drink black coffee.
This article shared 7524 times since Wed Feb 25, 2004
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Maya Kali Evans dies at 53 2021-02-19|
- Maya Kali Evans (formerly Curtis O. Love)—a tattoo artist and caregiver who resided in Newark, Illinois, and who previously lived in Chicago and Philadelphia—passed away peacefully Feb. 18, 2021, at home in Newark. She was 53. ...
|PASSAGES Dr. Gary B. Beringer, epidemiologist, dies at 70 2021-02-17|
- Epidemiologist Gary B. Beringer, Dr. P.H., age 70, passed away suddenly Wednesday, Jan. 27 at his home in Chicago, IL. Gary, an only child, is survived by his wife, Nancy M. Abbate, who worked closely with ...
|Queer musician Ari Gold dies at 47
- New York City-based dance artist Ari Gold has died at age 47 after a long battle with cancer, according to out.com. Gold—who was also known as Sir Ari and GoldNation— released seven albums as a part ...
|PASSAGES Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D. dies at 70 2021-02-11|
- Robert Thomas Cichocki, J.D., passed away peacefully at home in Chicago's Lake View neighborhood on Feb. 5. He was 70. After earning his B.A. from Wayne State University and his J.D. from The John Marshall Law ...
|PASSAGES Gordon Keith Richardson 2021-02-08|
- Gordon Keith Richardson of Washington, D.C., passed away on Feb. 4, 2021, at the age of 60 from complications of COVID-19. Keith was born in Leadville, CO, and raised primarily in St. Charles, Missouri. He graduated ...
|Former CTU President Karen Lewis dies at 67
- Former Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Karen Lewis has died at age 67, The Chicago Tribune reported. She led a seven-day strike in 2012 (the first in a quarter-century) and was a one-time mayoral hopeful who ...
PASSAGES Elzie Bates
- Elzie Bates was born at home April 6, 1931, in McComb, Mississippi. His birth was never officially recorded so for most of his adult life, his many friends celebrated his birthday on the day of Elzie's ...
|PASSAGES Carmen Vazquez, social justice activist 2021-01-28|
--From press releases - The National LGBTQ Task Force: The National LGBTQ Task Force is deeply saddened to announce the death of Carmen Vàzquez, long-time LGBTQ+ and social justice activist. Carmen died on Jan. 27, 2021 of COVID related complications. ...
|Pioneering AIDS researcher Dr. Joseph Sonnabend dead at 88 2021-01-24|
--From a media release by HIVPlusMagazine - Pioneering AIDS researcher and clinician Joseph Sonnabend, 88, died Jan. 24, 2021 at the Wellington Hospital in London, after suffering a heart attack on Jan.3, 2021. Born in Johannesburg, South Africa, to a physician mother and ...
|Broadcasting legend Larry King dies at 87
- Broadcasting icon Larry King has died at age 87, CNN.com reported. King died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, Ora Media, the studio and network he co-founded, tweeted. No cause of death was given, but ...
|PASSAGES Kevin McCarthy 2021-01-19|
- Kevin Creedon McCarthy, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood, passed away after a brief illness on Jan. 11. He was 53. Raised in Arlington Heights, Kevin studied communications at the University of Missouri before embarking on a long ...
|PASSAGES George H. Gibson 2021-01-06|
- George Horner Gibson died at his home in Chicago on Jan. 3, 2021. He was 88. Gibson was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and grew up in Charlotte, North Carolina. He graduated from Furman University with bachelor's ...
|PASSAGES Chicago activist Benny Montgomery dies
- Benny M. Montgomery Jr.—a longtime Chicago-based LGBTQ-rights activist who had worked as a constituent services administrator for U.S. Rep. Danny Davis and former Congresswoman Cardiss Collins, among other politicians—passed away ...
|Chicago trans woman Eshay Key, 25, dies in Christmas shooting 2020-12-28|
Column by Sue Kerr - Just a week after writing about the ugly shooting death of a 19-year-old Black gender nonconforming young adult while they were at a Christmas party, I was hopeful there would be no more deaths to cover ...
|'Party Monster' killer Michael Alig dies at 54
- Michael Alig who was at the center of the LGBTQ "club kids" scene in late 1980s and early '90s Manhattan, and whose involvement in the murder and dismemberment of his drug dealer was chronicled in the 2003 film Party Monster died Dec. 25th ...