WINDY CITY TIMES
This article shared 3924 times since Wed Jan 18, 2012
Bill Ortleb, a longtime Chicago resident, died Dec. 18, 2011. He was 53.
Ortleb moved to Chicago from Bloomington, Ill., in the early 1980s, and lived here the remainder of his life. In recent years he was very attached to his dog, Honey.
Socially, he was known to frequent Buck's Saloon, Cell Block, the Granville Anvil and Little Jim's, where he made many friends. He was known for his interest and knowledge of world affairs, and particularly the U.S. political scene. Although at times a quiet, introverted person, he could provide a lively, informed debate, very much holding his own on subjects that interested him.
Ortleb enjoyed collectibles, and he frequented flea markets and antique venues alone and with friends in search of treasures. He enjoyed nostalgia, and through the years he collected old postcards, vintage LPs and other pieces of memorabilia. He successfully restored several antique radios and was also an avid fan of film noir.
He traveled to many places in the United States and Canada, and also made it to Europe twice with close friends John and David. He had a particular love of Switzerland.
Ortleb came from a large family that included four sisters and five brothers. He worked in fields ranging from graphics to accounting.
He was a very meaningful person to his close friends. He was preceded in death by his partner of several years, Karl.
A gathering in Ortleb's remembrance is planned for Feb. 11. Interested parties can email John Morris at email@example.com .
This article shared 3924 times since Wed Jan 18, 2012
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Groundbreaking U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein passes away at 90 2023-09-29|
- Dianne Feinstein—the oldest member of the U.S. Senate and the longest-serving senator from California—has passed away at age 90. Feinstein had planned to retire at the end of her 2024 term, according to CNBC. Shecast her ...
|PASSAGES: Chicago musician, producer and DJ Don Crescendo 2023-09-24|
- Queer Chicago musician, producer and DJ Rodney Donovan Taylor, a.k.a. Don Crescendo, was fatally stabbed on the evening of Sept. 12 in his Avondale neighborhood apartment building. He died Sept. 15 at Illinois Masonic Hospital after ...
|Marge Summit's life to be celebrated Oct. 15 2023-09-15|
--From a press release - A celebration of the extraordinary life of Marge Summit, the legendary Chicago bar owner, promoter of live music artists, political advocate and much more who passed away on May 16, 2023. Born Sept. 3, 1935 in ...
|PASSAGES Beauman "Beau" Kent Breeden 2023-08-16|
- Beauman "Beau" Kent Breeden, 41, passed away Friday, Aug. 11, 2023. Beau is survived by his partner, Eddie Gamboa, and their rabbits Cap and Debbie, as well as queer family that went above and beyond to ...
|PASSAGES: Former OPALGA+ board member, editor JoAnn Ziebarth 2023-08-10|
- Former Oak Park Area Lesbian and Gay Association (OPALGA+) board member and editor JoAnn Ziebarth died July 18 after suffering a bad fall. She was 67. Ziebarth was born Dec. 27, 1955, in DeKalb, where ...
|Legendary film director William Friedkin dies at 87 2023-08-08|
- Famed movie director/producer/screenwriter William Friedkin has died at age 87. According to IMDb, Friedkin's career was extremely varied, as he directed everything from the classic horror film The Exorcist to the influential 1969 gay film The ...
|Singer Sinead O'Connor dies at 56 2023-07-26|
- Sinead O'Connor—the Irish singer and activist who scored a global smash with a cover of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U" in 1990 and who was banned from Saturday Night Live for tearing up a photo of ...
|PASSAGES Performer-teacher Jeffrey Stephen Carlson 2023-07-11|
- Jeffrey Stephen Carlson, 48, of Chicago's Andersonville neighborhood passed away July 6. He was both an accomplished Broadway actor and esteemed classical performer, as well as a dedicated teacher of Shakespeare, who leaves behind a legacy ...
|PASSAGES Radical poet, theorist, educator, activist Minnie Bruce Pratt 2023-07-07|
- Radical poet, essayist, educator, theorist and feminist, LGBTQ+, anti-racist and anti-imperialist activist Minnie Bruce Pratt died June 2 in Syracuse, New York surrounded by friends and family members, after a brief and sudden illness. She was ...
|Passages: Benjamin Feathers passes away 2023-07-06|
- Benjamin Feathers, "Pup Fenrir", 41, of Chicago's Uptown neighborhood, died in an apartment fire on July 1. Ben lived a very lively life. He was a lifestyle member of Chicago's Leather community. Like so many others, ...
|PASSAGES Music producer, vocalist, business owner Ralph Lampkin Jr. 2023-06-30|
- Music producer, vocalist and business owner Ralph Lampkin, Jr. died June 24 of a heart attack. He was 66. Lampkin was born April 29, 1957, in New York City, where he lived with his parents Ralph ...
|PASSAGES Athlete and retired restaurant manager Michael L. Reid 2023-06-17|
- Athlete and retired restaurant manager Michael L. Reid died peacefully under hospital care June 11 due to complications from a decade-long battle with cancer. He was 65. Reid was born February 28, 1958, in Dayton, Ohio ...
|Anti-LGBTQ+ televangelist Pat Robertson dies at 93 2023-06-08|
- The Rev. Marion Gordon "Pat" Robertsonan influential and controversial voice of conservative Christianity who even ran for president in 1988has died at age 93. The Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN) initially ...
|Openly gay experimental artist/filmmaker Kenneth Anger dies at 96 2023-05-24|
- Experimental filmmaker and artist Kenneth Anger has died at age 96. According to Variety, his gallerySprueth Magers, operated by Monika Spruth and Philomene Magersconfirmed the news on their website, writing ...
|PASSAGES Chicago cultural and music advocate, poet, educator Diane Gomez 2023-05-18|
- Chicago cultural and music advocate, poet and educator Diane Gomez died May 5 due to complications from cancer. She was 70. Gomez was born September 28, 1952, on the South Side of Chicago to a very ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|