WINDY CITY TIMES
||AIDS: Remarks by Sec. Clinton on World AIDS Day
Text of remarks from a news release, posted Dec. 1, 2011
This article shared 3925 times since Wed Dec 7, 2011
Today we pay tribute to the millions of lives lost and families affected by HIV/AIDS. We also recognize the brave individuals living with HIV who carry the burden of this disease every day. It is in their honor that we remain steadfast in our pursuit of an AIDS-free generation.
President Obama's announcement today of the goal to provide lifesaving antiretroviral treatment to 6 million people living with HIV worldwide represents a critical step towards this goal. Since AIDS was identified 30 years ago, we have made significant progress, saving and improving the lives of millions of people around the world. Remarkable scientific breakthroughs in preventing and managing this disease have given us the tools for even greater action. Through the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief ( PEPFAR ) , a cornerstone of the Obama Administration's Global Health Initiative, we are working to translate these advances into lifesaving programs.
This vision of an AIDS-free generation can only be realized by working together. Partner governments, civil society, the private sector and multilateral organizations like the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria must collaborate and share best practices. We must engage the world's brightest scientists, advocates, and public health experts to find more effective ways to fight HIV. High-impact interventions like antiretroviral treatment, prevention of mother-to-child transmission, and voluntary medical male circumcision have the potential to move us toward the end of this epidemic.
We have come a long way in the fight against AIDS, but there is still a long road ahead to realize our ambitious goals. If we continue to work together and coordinate a global effort guided by science, we may one day live in a AIDS-free generation.
This article shared 3925 times since Wed Dec 7, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago: moving against HIV/AIDS 2023-10-04|
- AIDS Run & Walk Chicago photos by Vern Hester. ...
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago 2023 to draw thousands to Soldier Field on Sept. 30 2023-09-09|
- The AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Chicago's Soldier Field on Saturday, Sept. 30 to help create equity and justice across Chicagoland and raise awareness and funds for individuals who are living with or vulnerable ...
|Chicago Dancers United raises more than $365K at Dance for Life 2023-08-29|
- Chicago Dancers United (CDU)which supports the health and wellness of Chicago's professional dance communitywelcomed 1,600 people to the 32nd annual Dance for Life on Aug. 19 at Auditorium Theatre, per ...
|New guidelines increase HIV antiretroviral options 2023-08-26|
- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) is expanding its recommendation for HIV antiretrovirals because more options are available on the market, according to MedScape. The guidance, published Aug. 22 in JAMA, updates the group's prev ...
|'Show up, Show out!' 32nd Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago on Sept. 30 2023-08-07|
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) Registration is now open for the 32nd annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) presented by AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) on Saturday, September 30 at Soldier Field. "Show up, Show Out" is this year's ...
|Chicago House indulges in Champagne Wrapture 2023-08-06|
- Chicago House's annual fundraiser, Champagne Wrapture, returned to the Windy City the evening of Aug. 3. The event was held at 600 N. Fairbanks Court on the rooftop deck and featured a silent auction, free-flowing champagne, ...
|LGBTQ+ cycling club builds both community and awareness 2023-08-01|
By Charlie Kolodziej - For the second summer in a row, Cruise Chi, Chicago's new LGBTQ+ cycling club, has been fostering a sense of community while supporting queer- and trans-advocacy. The group, led by co-founders Alton Deon and Shai Garcia, ...
|Gilead prevails in HIV antitrust suit brought by consumers 2023-07-01|
- On June 30, pharmaceutical giant Gilead Sciences triumphed over consumers in a $3.6-billion class-action suit that claimed the company deliberately manipulated the market in order to profit off of its expensive HIV treatment drugs, Courthouse News ...
|Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles first out HIV+ board chair works to grow visibility 2023-06-28|
--From a press release - Chicago, Illinois — Lakeside Pride Music Ensembles, Chicago's premiere music groups for the LGBTQ+ community members and allies, is currently under the direction of its first out HIV+ board chair, Brandon Strawn. Strawn has been a ...
|PASSAGES Artist Stash Kybartas 2023-06-17|
- Stashu Kybartas, a video artist who also worked in installation and performance art, passed away May 17 at his home in Chicago. Robert Colucci, his husband of 48 years, was with him at the time of ...
|NATIONAL Google Doodle, drag laureate, Nebraska bill, NYC AIDS Walk 2023-05-26|
- D.C. poet/activist/journalist Ivy Young passed away at age 75, per a press release. Among other things, Young worked at Chicago's VISTA; the Center for Black Education and Drum and Spear Book Store in D.C.; the ...
|TaskForce Chicago's ED talks organization, AIDS stigma and queerness 2023-05-25|
- Among the many organizations helping Chicago youths is TaskForce Prevention & Community Services. The West Side-based organization helps hundreds of youths by being committed to addressing the HIV/STI-related needs of ...
|HB 1286 would allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms, Chicago groups respond 2023-05-19|
--From a press release - Statement from AIDS Foundation Chicago, Equality Illinois, and Pride Action Tank regarding HB 1286 to allow gender-inclusive multi-occupancy restrooms: We applaud the Illinois Senate for passing HB 1286 and urge the Illinois House to act expeditiously ...
|Belting for Life returns for an 8th edition 2023-05-18|
- On May 15, Jeff Award-winning director and activist Christopher Pazdernik celebrated his birthday with the eighth edition of Belting for Life, his annual Chicago-style theatrical concert and fundraiser for AIDS ...
|Chicago House welcomes spring with 'Secret Garden' event 2023-05-12|
- On May 7, Chicago House presented its annual spring fashion brunch, this year titled The Secret Garden, in the Winter Green Ballroom of the Harold Washington Library. The annual event, which some now regard as the ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|