WINDY CITY TIMES
||AIDS: Remarks by Sec. Clinton on World AIDS Day
Text of remarks from a news release, posted Dec. 1, 2011
This article shared 3627 times since Wed Dec 7, 2011
Today we pay tribute to the millions of lives lost and families affected by HIV/AIDS. We also recognize the brave individuals living with HIV who carry the burden of this disease every day. It is in their honor that we remain steadfast in our pursuit of an AIDS-free generation.
President Obama's announcement today of the goal to provide lifesaving antiretroviral treatment to 6 million people living with HIV worldwide represents a critical step towards this goal. Since AIDS was identified 30 years ago, we have made significant progress, saving and improving the lives of millions of people around the world. Remarkable scientific breakthroughs in preventing and managing this disease have given us the tools for even greater action. Through the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief ( PEPFAR ) , a cornerstone of the Obama Administration's Global Health Initiative, we are working to translate these advances into lifesaving programs.
This vision of an AIDS-free generation can only be realized by working together. Partner governments, civil society, the private sector and multilateral organizations like the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria must collaborate and share best practices. We must engage the world's brightest scientists, advocates, and public health experts to find more effective ways to fight HIV. High-impact interventions like antiretroviral treatment, prevention of mother-to-child transmission, and voluntary medical male circumcision have the potential to move us toward the end of this epidemic.
We have come a long way in the fight against AIDS, but there is still a long road ahead to realize our ambitious goals. If we continue to work together and coordinate a global effort guided by science, we may one day live in a AIDS-free generation.
This article shared 3627 times since Wed Dec 7, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Kinsey Institute exhibiting iconic Tom Fox HIV/AIDS photo series 2022-08-05|
- An exhibition of 60 iconic photographs documenting Indiana University alumnus Tom Fox's battle with AIDS in the late 1980s will hang in the Grand Hall of Maxwell Hall on the Indiana University-Bloomington campus. "Wild Horse Running: ...
|Black AIDS Institute seeks president/CEO 2022-07-27|
- The Black AIDS Institute (BAI) has partnered with Coleman Lew Canny Bowen, a retained executive search firm, to conduct a search for a president/CEO. This position reports directly to the board of directors and leads a ...
|Registration for the 31st Annual AIDS Run & Walk only $24 for 24 hours on July 24 2022-07-23|
-- From a press release - (Chicago, IL) AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) announces the return of its popular $24 for 24 promotion on July 24 for discounted registration for the 31st annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago (ARWC) taking place Oct. 2 ...
|Fifteen organizations receive funding from Illinois African American HIV/AIDS Response Act 2022-07-22|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — JULY 22, 2022 — Thirteen African American-led community-based organizations (of 15 possible as the maximum) in Illinois have been awarded grants ranging up to $500,000+ from the ...
|White House Office of National AIDS Policy hosts historic Prosecutor Roundtable on HIV Criminal Law 2022-07-08|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON — On June 30, 2022, the Center for HIV Law & Policy (CHLP) and the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys (APA), in partnership with the White House Office of National AIDS Policy, brought together the nation's ...
|Sen. Baldwin, colleagues applaud confirmation of Global AIDS Coordinator, push for global LGBTQI+ rights 2022-07-02|
-- From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Sen.Tammy Baldwin joined her colleagues in congratulating John Nkengasong on his recent confirmation as U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator. The lawmakers also urged Ambassador Nkengasong to ensure ...
|Out at CHM: Panelists discuss HIV/AIDS' continued impact on dance community 2022-06-25|
- The Chicago History Museum (CHM) hosted a June 23 panel with doctors and dancers who shared their experiences with the HIV/AIDS epidemic as well as ideas for continuing to address the disease today. Following the discussion, ...
|CDC reminds people that National HIV Testing Day is June 27 2022-06-24|
-- From a press release - June 27 is National HIV Testing Day (NHTD), a day to emphasize the importance of HIV testing and make sure everyone knows their status so they can take steps to improve their health, regardless of the ...
|100 HIV groups call on Congress to fund Biden's National PrEP Program 2022-06-16|
-- From a press release - (New York City, NY) Wednesday, June 15, 2022—PrEP4All, Inc., along with 100 HIV organizations, are leading the push for Congress to fund a National Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Program that would ...
|TPAN to host Closing Ceremony for Ride For Life Chicago June 19 2022-06-15|
-- From a press release - Chicago, IL—TPAN will host the Closing Ceremony of the Ride For Life Chicago on Sunday, June 19 at Foster Beach from noon-5pm. Cyclists will complete their 200-, 100-, and 50-mile rides to converge at the beach ...
|Governor signs bills expanding access to HIV- and AIDS-related care and prevention 2022-06-14|
-- From a press release - Chicago—Governor JB Pritzker signed HB4430 and HB5549 into law today, removing barriers to access for HIV and AIDS care and prevention. HB4430 allows pharmacists to dispense both pre- and post-exposure prophylaxis drugs (PrEP and PEP) without ...
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to now take place Oct. 2 2022-06-08|
- The 31st Annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago will now take place on Sunday, October 2. The annual event helps raise awareness and funds for individuals who are living with or vulnerable to HIV/AIDS across Chicagoland. ...
|Community and politicians gather to open the AIDS Memorial Garden 2022-06-02|
- Chicagoans gathered at the lakefront the morning of June 2 for the ribbon-cutting and grand opening of the city's long-awaited AIDS Memorial Garden. "There are so many ones who have passed who have come to witness ...
|amfAR gala is highlight of Cannes Film Festival, raises $19M 2022-05-28|
- The amfAR gala, the highlight of the famed Cannes Film Festival, returned as a glamorous in-person event May 26 at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes, France, according to a press release. amfAR, The Foundation for ...
|Howard Brown Health unveils Pride mural at Walsh Park 2022-05-26|
- On May 25, Howard Brown Health unveiled a mural celebrating Pride month, in collaboration with local artist David Anthony Geary. The unveiling took place at Walsh Park, 1722 N. Ashland Ave. Wintrust Bank's ongoing community partnership ...