WINDY CITY TIMES
|Sec. Sebelius appoints Nancy Mahon, ED of MAC AIDS Fund, Chair of Presidential HIV/AIDS Advisory Council
From a Health and Human Services news release, posted Dec. 1, 2011
This article shared 3762 times since Wed Nov 30, 2011
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced the appointment of Nancy Mahon as the new Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS ( PACHA ) . Ms. Mahon, executive director of the MAC AIDS Fund, has many years of experience in leading large philanthropic endeavors. In her role as chair, she will maintain the continuity of PACHA-related activities and, on occasion, represent the administration at PACHA-related events.
"Nancy has built a remarkable career leading major HIV/AIDS organizations around the country. She brings a wealth of experience managing international partnerships to eliminate HIV and AIDS as well as overseeing grassroots and on the ground support for those battling the disease," said Secretary Sebelius. "Nancy knows the power of working together to improve people's lives. She will be an invaluable advisor and a perfect choice to lead the Council as we continue to build on President Obama's commitment to an AIDS-free generation."
"Recently, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke of the opportunity to begin creating an 'AIDS-free generation'," said Christopher Bates, executive director of the PACHA. "Ms. Mahon is an excellent choice to guide PACHA's efforts in support of that goal. She has demonstrated leadership in responding to HIV/AIDS over many years and in many different capacities. She has developed public-private partnerships to provide care and support services for people living with HIV/AIDS, and she knows the power of working together to change their lives for the better. We look forward to working with her, and to strengthening PACHA's support for the National HIV/AIDS Strategy under her leadership."
As a senior vice president at MAC and executive director of the MAC AIDS Fund, Ms. Mahon serves as a member of the brand's senior management team, while overseeing the strategic direction and day-to-day operation of the MAC AIDS Fund. Currently, the fund gives away over $18 million annually throughout the world, particularly in the 65 countries in which MAC has affiliates. Before joining MAC in June 2006, Ms. Mahon was executive director of God's Love We Deliver ( GLWD ) , the nation's oldest and largest provider of life-sustaining nutritional support services for people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other serious illnesses. She is the author of numerous research, advocacy, and prevention articles, which have been published in a wide range of periodicals, including the American Journal of Public Health, the New York Times, and various academic journals.
PACHA was established to provide policy recommendations on the U.S. government's response to the AIDS epidemic. The council provides advice, information, and recommendations to the HHS Secretary on programs and policies intended to promote effective prevention of HIV disease, and to advance research on HIV disease and AIDS. The HHS Secretary selects members and the chair for their expertise in, or knowledge of, HIV/AIDS issues. The council may have up to 25 members, including the chair. In addition, the Secretary can appoint ex officio members from relevant HHS programs.
For more information about PACHA, visit www.aids.gov/federal-resources/policies/pacha/ .
This article shared 3762 times since Wed Nov 30, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|HIV criminal laws disproportionately impact Black men in Mississippi 2024-02-21
--From a press release - A new report by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that at least 43 people in Mississippi were arrested for HIV-related crimes between 2004 and 2021. Half of all arrests in the state ...
|'West Side Story' gets a sex-positive spin with new burlesque show 2024-02-19
- In partial observance of National Condom Day, which was Feb. 14, Los Angeles-based AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) presented A West Side Story Burlesque at the Harris Theater for two hour-long performances on Feb. 17. The show, ...
|$200,000+ raised at AIDS Foundation Chicago's World of Chocolate Fundraiser to fight HIV/AIDS 2024-02-13
--From a press release - (Chicago, IL) More than 950 guests gathered at Chicago's famed Union Station (500 W. Jackson) for Chicago's Sweetest Fundraiser, AIDS Foundation Chicago's (AFC), World of Chocolate on Friday, February 9. ...
|Munar prepares to step away from Howard Brown leadership 2024-02-11
- After 10 years of leadership at Howard Brown Health, President and CEO David Ernesto Munar has decided to step down from his post on Feb. 29. Munar, who'd previously been president and CEO of AIDS Foundation ...
|National Black Justice Coalition commemorates National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2024-02-07
--From a press release - WASHINGTON — Today, Feb. 7, marks National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD). In commemoration, Dr. David J. Johns, CEO of the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC), a leading Black LGBTQ+/same-gender ...
|NATIONAL Wis. report, gender dysphoria, HIV research, Stonewall exhibit, gay CEOs 2024-01-19
- A new annual report from Wisconsin's Office of Children's Mental Health shows that the state's minorsespecially girls, children of color and LGBTQ+ youthcontinue to struggle with anxiety, depression and thoughts ...
|WORLD Activist honored, marriages in Estonia, Madrid law, trans sports item 2024-01-05
Video below - The National AIDS Commission (NAC) recently honored Caleb Orozco—a leading figure in the fight for LGBTQ+ rights in Belize—for his instrumental contributions to the national HIV response, BNN reported. According ...
|SAVOR World of Chocolate, Jaleo and 'Superhot' 2023-12-31
- World of wonder: I am excited to announce that I will be a judge at AIDS Foundation Chicago's World of Chocolate fundraiser! Join me in sampling delicious chocolate from local chefs and help support a great ...
|PASSAGES Frankie Franklin-Foxx 2023-12-18
- Frankie Franklin-Foxx (born Waverlynn Franklin), a resident of Chicago's North Side, passed away peacefully Dec. 13 at St. Francis Hospital in Evanston. She was 68. Born at Cook County Hospital, Frankie graduated from South Shore High ...
|NATIONAL Dr. Rachel Levine, World AIDS Day, trans deaths, Philly bar art 2023-12-08
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama Liles C. Burke ruled that emails and other records from U.S. Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Rachel Levine are relevant to a lawsuit challenging Alabama's ban ...
|STRUT marks World AIDS Day with 14th Annual Fashion Show 2023-12-05
- On Dec. 3, John Fleming and Madman Productions presented the 14th annual STRUT fashion show at Joe's on Weed Street, 940 W. Weed St. As in previous years, the standing room only show was a fundraiser, ...
|World AIDS Day commemorated at AIDS Garden Chicago 2023-12-03
- On the rainy morning of Dec. 1, Chicago Parks Foundation and the AIDS Garden Chicago Board of Directors hosted a World AIDS Day commemoration at AIDS Garden Chicago, just south of Belmont Harbor on the Lakefront. ...
|GLAAD marks World AIDS Day with launch of global resource hub, new HIV report 2023-12-01
--From a press release - New York, New York — Friday, Dec. 1 — GLAAD marked World AIDS Day this year by sharing the results of its fourth annual State of HIV Stigma Report, a national survey among U.S. adults measuring ...
|Wrightwood 659 to present 'Daniel Goldstein: The Marks We Leave Behind' on World AIDS Day 2023-11-29
- (CHICAGO, Nov. 29, 2023) Alphawood Exhibitions will present Daniel Goldstein: The Marks We Leave Behind, an exhibition of works from the San Francisco-based artist & HIV/AIDS activist's iconic "Icarian Series," ...
|WTTW doc chronicles the activism of Danny Sotomayor 2023-11-03
- Practically everything the late Chicago AIDS activist Danny Sotomayor did was "a fight." So says fellow activist Victor Salvo in the new WTTW documentary The Outrage of Danny Sotomayor, which is part of the station's Chicago ...