WINDY CITY TIMES
||Sec. Sebelius appoints Nancy Mahon, ED of MAC AIDS Fund, Chair of Presidential HIV/AIDS Advisory Council
From a Health and Human Services news release, posted Dec. 1, 2011
This article shared 3252 times since Wed Nov 30, 2011
Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius today announced the appointment of Nancy Mahon as the new Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS ( PACHA ) . Ms. Mahon, executive director of the MAC AIDS Fund, has many years of experience in leading large philanthropic endeavors. In her role as chair, she will maintain the continuity of PACHA-related activities and, on occasion, represent the administration at PACHA-related events.
"Nancy has built a remarkable career leading major HIV/AIDS organizations around the country. She brings a wealth of experience managing international partnerships to eliminate HIV and AIDS as well as overseeing grassroots and on the ground support for those battling the disease," said Secretary Sebelius. "Nancy knows the power of working together to improve people's lives. She will be an invaluable advisor and a perfect choice to lead the Council as we continue to build on President Obama's commitment to an AIDS-free generation."
"Recently, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton spoke of the opportunity to begin creating an 'AIDS-free generation'," said Christopher Bates, executive director of the PACHA. "Ms. Mahon is an excellent choice to guide PACHA's efforts in support of that goal. She has demonstrated leadership in responding to HIV/AIDS over many years and in many different capacities. She has developed public-private partnerships to provide care and support services for people living with HIV/AIDS, and she knows the power of working together to change their lives for the better. We look forward to working with her, and to strengthening PACHA's support for the National HIV/AIDS Strategy under her leadership."
As a senior vice president at MAC and executive director of the MAC AIDS Fund, Ms. Mahon serves as a member of the brand's senior management team, while overseeing the strategic direction and day-to-day operation of the MAC AIDS Fund. Currently, the fund gives away over $18 million annually throughout the world, particularly in the 65 countries in which MAC has affiliates. Before joining MAC in June 2006, Ms. Mahon was executive director of God's Love We Deliver ( GLWD ) , the nation's oldest and largest provider of life-sustaining nutritional support services for people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other serious illnesses. She is the author of numerous research, advocacy, and prevention articles, which have been published in a wide range of periodicals, including the American Journal of Public Health, the New York Times, and various academic journals.
PACHA was established to provide policy recommendations on the U.S. government's response to the AIDS epidemic. The council provides advice, information, and recommendations to the HHS Secretary on programs and policies intended to promote effective prevention of HIV disease, and to advance research on HIV disease and AIDS. The HHS Secretary selects members and the chair for their expertise in, or knowledge of, HIV/AIDS issues. The council may have up to 25 members, including the chair. In addition, the Secretary can appoint ex officio members from relevant HHS programs.
For more information about PACHA, visit http://www.aids.gov/federal-resources/policies/pacha/.
This article shared 3252 times since Wed Nov 30, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...
|PrEP pills to be free for insured people 2021-07-25|
- The U.S. government has stated that nearly all health insurers must cover the entire cost of HIV prevention treatments, according to U.S. News & World Report. That includes the two approved pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) drugs Truvada ...
|Summit looking for BIPOC LGBTQ+ attendees 2021-07-22|
- Pride Action Tank (PAT) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will co-host "Co-Creating Futures: A BIPOC LGBTQ+ Policy & Practices Summit," starting virtually on Saturday, July 31, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. CT. According to the event's webpage, "T ...
|30th Annual 2021 AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to benefit 25 groups, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-07-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Now in its 30th year, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Soldier Field on Saturday, October 2 to support individuals living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses. AIDS Run & ...
|NATIONAL Spa incident, N.J. items, AIDS gala, Tenn. lawsuits 2021-07-11|
- Tensions rose between protesters and counterprotesters in Los Angeles over a spa incident involving a transgender woman, The Hill reported. Recently, a cisgender woman complained to staff at Wi Spa in Koreatown after a transgender woman ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...
|Gilead requests approval of twice-a-year HIV medication 2021-07-02|
- Biopharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences recently submitted a new drug application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administrationand it's for the drug lenacapavir, a long-acting HIV inhibitor that is under clinical ...