WINDY CITY TIMES
||White House AIDS czar leaving post
News update posted Nov. 3, 2011
This article shared 4762 times since Wed Nov 9, 2011
White House Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy ( ONAP ) /Senior Advisor on Disability Policy Jeff Crowley issued a letter to friends and colleagues stating that he's leaving his post, according to LGBTpov.com .
The letter reads as follows:
"I am writing to let you know that I have made the decision to leave my position as the Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy ( ONAP ) and Senior Advisor on Disability Policy at the end of this year. There is never a good time to make this type of transition and there is always more work to be done and more opportunities in front of us. After developing and releasing the National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States and spending a year and a half on implementation, now is an appropriate time for me to move on to the next phase of my life.
"I have been incredibly fortunate to serve in President Obama's Administration and contribute to his important work on behalf of the American people. I cannot fully express how honored I feel to have been given the task of leading the process to develop our country's first comprehensive National HIV/AIDS Strategy. I am grateful to the HIV community and our many, many partners inside and outside of government that helped us develop a roadmap for moving forward at this critical juncture in our Nation's response to the domestic HIV epidemic. I am very proud of what we have accomplished together and I will leave knowing that we wrote a report that has not been soon forgotten, and we developed an evidence-based plan built on the lessons of the past 30 years that has and will continue to be implemented long after my tenure at ONAP. I am also grateful to the many members of the disability community with whom I have worked on issues related to health and long-term services and supports, civil rights, housing, and other issues.
"I will continue to serve in the White House through the end of the year, and the White House has already begun the process for finding my replacement. Regardless of who that is, the President has said that the implementation of the Strategy cannot fall to the Federal government alone. I know that the President is deeply committed to responding to HIV epidemic in the United States and around the globe and that he will continue to need your strong support. I am humbled by the opportunity I have had to work at the White House and I would like to thank all of you who have been critical partners, personal supporters, and committed advocates on behalf of people living with HIV and other people with disabilities."
This article shared 4762 times since Wed Nov 9, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|HHS awards $48M to health centers to expand HIV prevention, treatment 2021-09-16|
- On Sept. 16, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), awarded more than $48 million to 271 HRSA-supported health centers across 26 states, Puerto Rico and ...
|New safety precautions announced for 30th annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago Oct. 2 2021-09-08|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) has announced proof of full vaccination or negative COVID-19 test result within 72 hours of event will be required for all in-person participants for the 30th annual AIDS Run & ...
|HIV AT 40: Global activist Phill Wilson talks Chicago, the '80s and vaccines 2021-09-01|
- Phill Wilson is one of the best-known HIV/AIDS activists/educators around the globe. The Chicago native was the co-founder of the National Black Lesbian and Gay Leadership Forum and the National Task Force on AIDS Prevention. He ...
|Feds expand insurers' requirements for PrEP coverage 2021-08-26|
- Insurers and service-providers have until September to comply with a new federal guidance requiring insurance companies to cover the entire cost of PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) interventions. Many insurers have been ...
|NATIONAL Ann Arbor ban, Buttigieg, NYC settlement, Gloria Allred 2021-08-22|
- Using gay conversion therapy on minors to try to change their sexual orientation or gender identity is now officially banned in Ann Arbor, Michigan, according to MLive.com. "So-called conversion therapy is, of course, an abomination," Mayor ...
|Chicago Academy's 25th annual AIDS benefit show Sept. 24-25 2021-08-12|
- Each year, Chicago Academy for the Arts students produce and perform in a variety show to support HIV/AIDS research and organizations. The 25th Annual AIDS Benefit will take place Sept. 24-25 at The Academy, 1010 W. ...
|U.S. Conference on HIV/AIDS moves to virtual 2021-08-10|
--From a press release - Aug. 10, 2021 - NMAC today announced that the 2021 US Conference on HIV/AIDS will move from an in-person conference to a virtual meeting due to the continued spread of the Delta variant of the Covid ...
|DaBaby apologizes for 'misinformed' comments about AIDS, LGBTQ people 2021-08-03|
- After his headlining sets at Lollapalooza, Governors Ball and Day N Vegas festivals were canceled within 24 hours of each other, rapper DaBaby issued another apology to the LGBTQ community, Variety reported. "Social Media moves so ...
|PrEP pills to be free for insured people 2021-07-25|
- The U.S. government has stated that nearly all health insurers must cover the entire cost of HIV prevention treatments, according to U.S. News & World Report. That includes the two approved pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) drugs Truvada ...
|Summit looking for BIPOC LGBTQ+ attendees 2021-07-22|
- Pride Action Tank (PAT) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) will co-host "Co-Creating Futures: A BIPOC LGBTQ+ Policy & Practices Summit," starting virtually on Saturday, July 31, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. CT. According to the event's webpage, "T ...
|30th Annual 2021 AIDS Run & Walk Chicago to benefit 25 groups, AIDS Foundation Chicago 2021-07-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Now in its 30th year, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns to Soldier Field on Saturday, October 2 to support individuals living with and vulnerable to HIV/AIDS and other chronic illnesses. AIDS Run & ...
|NATIONAL Spa incident, N.J. items, AIDS gala, Tenn. lawsuits 2021-07-11|
- Tensions rose between protesters and counterprotesters in Los Angeles over a spa incident involving a transgender woman, The Hill reported. Recently, a cisgender woman complained to staff at Wi Spa in Koreatown after a transgender woman ...
|ALMA, AFC host Latino/a/x-focused COVID-19 grand rounds virtual presentation 2021-07-08|
- Association of Latino/as/x Motivating Action (ALMA) and AIDS Foundation Chicago (AFC) hosted a "COVID-19 Grand RoundsSystemic Racism and Health Disparities: The Impact of COVID-19 on Latino/a/x populations" virtual presentation July ...
|Gilead requests approval of twice-a-year HIV medication 2021-07-02|
- Biopharmaceutical company Gilead Sciences recently submitted a new drug application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administrationand it's for the drug lenacapavir, a long-acting HIV inhibitor that is under clinical ...