WINDY CITY TIMES
||White House AIDS czar leaving post
News update posted Nov. 3, 2011
White House Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy ( ONAP ) /Senior Advisor on Disability Policy Jeff Crowley issued a letter to friends and colleagues stating that he's leaving his post, according to LGBTpov.com .
The letter reads as follows:
"I am writing to let you know that I have made the decision to leave my position as the Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy ( ONAP ) and Senior Advisor on Disability Policy at the end of this year. There is never a good time to make this type of transition and there is always more work to be done and more opportunities in front of us. After developing and releasing the National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States and spending a year and a half on implementation, now is an appropriate time for me to move on to the next phase of my life.
"I have been incredibly fortunate to serve in President Obama's Administration and contribute to his important work on behalf of the American people. I cannot fully express how honored I feel to have been given the task of leading the process to develop our country's first comprehensive National HIV/AIDS Strategy. I am grateful to the HIV community and our many, many partners inside and outside of government that helped us develop a roadmap for moving forward at this critical juncture in our Nation's response to the domestic HIV epidemic. I am very proud of what we have accomplished together and I will leave knowing that we wrote a report that has not been soon forgotten, and we developed an evidence-based plan built on the lessons of the past 30 years that has and will continue to be implemented long after my tenure at ONAP. I am also grateful to the many members of the disability community with whom I have worked on issues related to health and long-term services and supports, civil rights, housing, and other issues.
"I will continue to serve in the White House through the end of the year, and the White House has already begun the process for finding my replacement. Regardless of who that is, the President has said that the implementation of the Strategy cannot fall to the Federal government alone. I know that the President is deeply committed to responding to HIV epidemic in the United States and around the globe and that he will continue to need your strong support. I am humbled by the opportunity I have had to work at the White House and I would like to thank all of you who have been critical partners, personal supporters, and committed advocates on behalf of people living with HIV and other people with disabilities."
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|AIDS Foundation of Chicago's 'Gala35' Nov. 19 2020-10-25|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's (AFC's) "Gala35"marking its 35th anniversarywill be a virtual event taking place Thursday, Nov. 19, at 6 p.m. Gala35 marks the organization's 35th year of service and will be its premier gatheri ...
|NATIONAL Autistic trans guide, trans death, AIDS Quilt, intersex study 2020-10-19|
- The National LGBTQ Task Force and the AWNNetwork released a collaborative guide, "Before You Go: Know Your Rights & What to Expect at the Doctor and in the Hospital"a groundbreaking first-of-its-kind publication filled with tips and ...
|TPAN names Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO
- TPAN has announced the hiring of Colleen O'Neill as its new CEO to assist in empowering the organization to continue to provide care and far-reaching education to people affected by HIV/AIDS, hepatitis and all related issues, ...
|Nat'l AIDS Memorial to launch 50-state AIDS Memorial Quilt Virtual Exhibition 2020-10-09|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO (October 9, 2020) — The National AIDS Memorial is announcing a virtual exhibition of the AIDS Memorial Quilt (the Quilt) that will feature more than 10,000 Quilt panels representing all 50 state and U.S. ...
|PASSAGES Timothy Ray Brown, who was cured of HIV, dies of cancer at 54
- After a five-month battle with leukemia, Timothy Ray Brownpublicized as the first known person to be cured of HIV, and also known by many as "The Berlin Patient"has died of cancer, according to the International AIDS ...
|NBJC releases statement on National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2020-09-27|
- In honor of National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (Sept. 27), the National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) released a statement: "Today is a day to celebrate that HIV is no longer the death sentence it once ...
|AIDS Run & Walk Chicago returns with reformatted 2020 event 2020-09-24|
- AIDS Foundation of Chicago's annual AIDS Run & Walk Chicago has been reformatted and expanded so community members can participate in the fundraiser while still social-distancing and adhering to public-safety guidelines. While an event at Soldier ...
|Chicago House moves central hub 2020-09-03|
- Chicago Housefounded in September 1985 as an organization committed to providing a home to individuals dying of HIVhas relocated its central hub to the South Loop, at 2229 S. Michigan Ave., Ste. 304. The central hub ...
|WORLD Tom of Finland, India items, Denmark legislation, PrEP study 2020-09-02|
- The works of the iconic Finnish artist Tom of Finland will be exhibited in Japan for the first time ever, a press release noted. The exhibition is the result of a collaboration between the Finnish Institute ...
|Open House Chicago taking place Oct. 16-25 2020-08-18|
- The Chicago Architecture Center (CAC) announced the return of Open House Chicago (OHC) for a 10th consecutive year. It will take place Oct. 16-25, and the festival has been reconfigured for both in-person and remote attendance. ...
|NATIONAL Streisand/Summer, HIV treatment, Alex Morse, Barney Frank 2020-08-18|
- MeidasTouch, a progressive Democratic political action group, teamed with the LGBTQ voting initiative Vote Proud for their latest video, titled "Enough Is Enough," Billboard noted. The video focuses on rallying queer people to vote by pointing ...
|INT'L AIDS CONFERENCE: HIV research informing COVID-19 vaccine development 2020-07-13|
- Journalist Lisa Ling hosted the second season premiere of "The Road to a Vaccine," which was a part of AIDS 2020: The 23rd International AIDS Conference. Panelists discussed how efforts for an HIV vaccine have assisted ...
|TPAN letter: We stand with you 2020-06-08|
- June 8 marks two weeks since the violent death of George Floyd at the hands of four former Minneapolis police officers, who have since been charged with murder. On a personal level, I am heartbroken and ...
|WORLD Zambia pardon, fashion house, HIV+ mayor, Costa Rica marriage
- Zambia's president pardoned a gay couple sentenced to 15 years in prison in November under colonial-era sodomy laws in a case that caused a diplomatic conflict with the United States, Reuters reported. Japhet Chataba, 39, and ...
|THEATER Larry Kramer (1935-2020), polemicist and playwright 2020-05-30|
- Larry Kramer was an angry man and he made sure people knew it. The language of his public discoursethe hundreds of articles he wrote and speeches he made, his novels and playsdrips with venom, insult, sarcasm, ...