||SLDN commends Shaheen, calls for Panetta to extend benefits
From a news release
( Washington, D.C. ) A day after Senator Jeanne Shaheen ( D-NH ) intervened on behalf of CW2 Charlie Morgan of the New Hampshire National Guard, prompting the Pentagon to clarify regulations governing the participation of same-sex partners in yellow ribbon family reintegration events, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network praised Senator Shaheen and renewed its call for Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta to immediately extend all benefits and family support available under existing laws to the families of legally married gay and lesbian service members.
"At SLDN, we salute Senator Shaheen for her efforts, but the truth is that this service member should not have had to call on her Senator to intervene at the Pentagon in order for her family to be recognized and supported in the same ways as her straight, married counterparts. We again call upon Secretary Panetta to confer now all the benefits and recognition he is authorized to extend to gay and lesbian service members and their families," said Army Veteran and SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis.
In August, SLDN wrote to Secretary Panetta, outlining areas of family support and benefits that could be immediately extended under existing law to legally married LGBT service members and their families. To view the letter, click here.
"We are not advocating any special treatment for gay and lesbian service members and their families, but we want to underscore that all service members and their families should be treated the same when it comes to benefits and family support programs," said Sarvis.
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|New coalition advocates voting accessibility for military, veterans, including LGBTQs 2020-09-02|
--From a press release - Today, the Military Vote Coalition (MVC) is taking action to protect access to the ballot box for military families and veterans. Among those groups is the Modern Military Association of America, a non-profit organization dedicated to ...
|House members demand LGBTQ Pride flags be allowed on military installations 2020-07-31|
- WASHINGTON, D.C. House Armed Services Committee Vice Chair and 30-year Army veteran Congressman Anthony Brown (MD-04), Subcommittee on Military Personnel Chair Congresswoman Jackie Speier (CA-14) ...
|U.S. House of Representatives votes to end Trump-Pence transgender military ban
--From a MMAA press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA), the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization, released the following statement following the U.S. House of Representatives' vote ...
|Former state National Guard enlistee alleges anti-trans discrimination 2020-07-18|
- Former Illinois Army National Guard enlistee Liam Papworth has filed a complaint with the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) against Dr. Lawrence Gottlieb and UChicago Medicine, alleging anti-trans medical ...
|Pentagon confirms LGBTQ Pride flag banned
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America, the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization, responded to Secretary Mark Esper's decision to ban the LGBTQ pride flag. ...
|Navy grants first waiver for trans service member 2020-05-15|
- The U.S. Navy granted a waiver allowing a transgender service member to serve "in their preferred gender" for the first time since the military enacted an anti-transgender ban, CNN.com reported. "The acting Secretary of the Navy ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian bishop, iconic activist dies, military lawsuit, drag legend passes 2020-03-31|
- Rev. Bonnie Perry was recently ordained as the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Michiganbeconing the first woman and openly gay person to hold the position, ClickOnDetroit.com noted. "Jesus said almost nothing about homosexuality," Perry ...
|Judge releases Chelsea Manning from jail 2020-03-12|
- On March 12, U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga ordered the release of former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manningending about a year of incarceration that she had served for refusing to testify to a grand jury, a ...
|Majority of active duty servicemembers oppose trans military ban 2020-02-27|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest non-profit organization dedicated to advancing fairness and equality for the LGBTQ military and veteran community ...
|LGBTQ military non-profit names veteran Jennifer Dane Interim ED 2020-01-22|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest non-profit organization working to advance fairness and equality for the LGBTQ military and veteran community ...
|Federal court upholds injunction preventing discharge of HIV+ airmen 2020-01-10|
- (Richmond, VA, January 10, 2020) Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit upheld a lower court ruling inRoe & Voe v. Esper that halted efforts by the Trump administration to discharge members ...
|Panel faces legal challenges for trans and HIV-positive service members 2019-12-03|
- U.S. Rep. Mike Quigley (D-5) was joined by legal experts at the Pritzker Military Museum the afternoon of Dec. 2 for a discussion of the ongoing challenges facing U.S. military personnel who are transgender and/or HIV ...
|Trans/HIV+ military ban panel Dec. 2 with U.S. Rep. Quigley 2019-11-26|
- U.S. Congressman Mike Quigley (D-Illinois) is hosting a panel discussing the transgender/HIV-positive military ban Monday, Dec. 2, at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library, 104 S. Michigan Ave., 1:30-3 p.m. In addition to Quigley, panelists are ...
|LGBTQ veterans observe Veterans Day with 27th annual dinner 2019-11-13|
- Tatyana Moaton, a former U.S. Army intelligence analyst, was keynote speaker at the The American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER ) Chicago Chapter's 27th annual LGBTQ Veterans Day Dinner held at Ann Sathers on Belmont. Moaton ...
|LGBTQ veterans denied honorable discharges regain NY state benefits 2019-11-12|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA), the nation's largest non-profit organization for the LGBTQ military and veteran community, released the following statement praising New York Governor ...