||SLDN commends Shaheen, calls for Panetta to extend benefits
From a news release
This article shared 3011 times since Sun Oct 23, 2011
( Washington, D.C. ) A day after Senator Jeanne Shaheen ( D-NH ) intervened on behalf of CW2 Charlie Morgan of the New Hampshire National Guard, prompting the Pentagon to clarify regulations governing the participation of same-sex partners in yellow ribbon family reintegration events, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network praised Senator Shaheen and renewed its call for Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta to immediately extend all benefits and family support available under existing laws to the families of legally married gay and lesbian service members.
"At SLDN, we salute Senator Shaheen for her efforts, but the truth is that this service member should not have had to call on her Senator to intervene at the Pentagon in order for her family to be recognized and supported in the same ways as her straight, married counterparts. We again call upon Secretary Panetta to confer now all the benefits and recognition he is authorized to extend to gay and lesbian service members and their families," said Army Veteran and SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis.
In August, SLDN wrote to Secretary Panetta, outlining areas of family support and benefits that could be immediately extended under existing law to legally married LGBT service members and their families. To view the letter, click here.
"We are not advocating any special treatment for gay and lesbian service members and their families, but we want to underscore that all service members and their families should be treated the same when it comes to benefits and family support programs," said Sarvis.
This article shared 3011 times since Sun Oct 23, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...
|Trans U.S. Army doctor, wife charged with helping Russia in war against Ukraine 2022-09-30|
- A U.S. Army major doctor and their physician wife were arrested for an alleged criminal plot to give Russia confidential medical information about people connected to the U.S. military and government, CNBC reported. Federal prosecutors claim ...
|Palm Center to close permanently on Sept. 30 2022-09-26|
- The Palm Centeran independent research institute that uses scholarship to inform the national conversation about military policy concerning LGBTQ+ service memberswill close permanently on Sept. 30 after running for 24 ...
|Real-life-based gay military movie 'The Inspection' coming out Nov. 18 2022-08-23|
Video below - The movie The Inspection—based on director Elegance Bratton's own life—will be out in theaters on Friday, Nov. 18. In Bratton's film inspired by his own story, a young, gay Black man—rejected by his mother and with ...
|VIEWS The gay general at Valley Forge 2022-06-18|
- Friedrich Wilhelm Ludolf Gerhard Augustin von Steuben was born on Sept. 17, 1730, in Magdeburg, Germany. Son of a military father, Friedrich joined the Prussian army considered the most advanced professional army in Europe at the ...
|New military policy keeps HIV-positive service members deployable 2022-06-09|
- A new Defense Department policy allows HIV-positive service members with an undetectable viral load to not only stay in uniform but remain deployable, Military Times reported. ...
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|WORLD Soldiers, Everywhere Is Queer, soccer items 2022-04-24|
Video below - The South Korean Supreme Court ruled that soldiers of the same sex who have consensual sex in a private space cannot be charged with assault under the Military Criminal Act, The Hankyoreh reported. Previously, the court ...
|Federal court strikes down Pentagon's restrictions on military service of people Living with HIV as unconstitutional 2022-04-07|
-- From a press release - "The court ruled that the Pentagon's policies regarding service members with HIV are not only outdated, but unlawful, arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional . . . one of the strongest judicial rulings in over two decades ...
|Leader in fight to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to join virtual book club with LGBTQ veterans April 7 2022-04-07|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), will join the Chicago chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) April 7 at 7 p.m. for a virtual Book ...
|Gov. Pritzker lauds legislation to strengthen Illinois' response to military sexual violence 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In a nation-leading effort to protect survivors of military sexual violence and hold perpetrators accountable, the Illinois National Guard worked closely with state Senate Assistant Majority Leader Tony ...
|NATIONAL Oregon ruling, bomb threat, military lawsuit, Tim Cook, Netflix 2022-01-30|
- The Oregon Court of Appeals upheld a 2015 ruling by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) that the owners of Gresham-based Sweetcakes By Melissa violated the state's nondiscrimination statutes when they refused to bake ...
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|Resolution recognizes 10th anniversary of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2021-09-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC Today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), along with Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) and Rep. Chris Pappas (D-NH), lead a resolution to recognize the 10th anniversary of the enactment of the repeal of "Don't Ask, ...