WINDY CITY TIMES
||LGBT immigrant-rights forum Sept. 27
This article shared 3452 times since Wed Sep 21, 2011
An LGBT immigrant-rights forum will take place Tuesday, Sept. 27, 6-8 p.m., at the Adler School of Professional Psychology, 17 N. Dearborn St. U.S. Reps. Luis Gutierrez and Mike Quigley are slated to be part of the event.
Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Human Relations and Amigas Latinas co-founder Mona Noriega is hosting the forum. According to its Facebook page, "This is an opportunity for immigrant rights advocates, community members, representatives of LGBT institutions, members of faith-based organizations, and anyone interested in the intersection between the LGBT community and immigration policy, to ask their representatives about the political landscape in Washington D.C."
Seating is limited at this free event. Guests must RSVP at bit.ly/lgbtimmigrationRSVP.
This article shared 3452 times since Wed Sep 21, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|CAIC announces 2021 Collaborative Works Festival, immigration, migration in song 2021-09-13|
--From a press release - CHICAGO— Collaborative Arts Institute of Chicago (CAIC) begins its eleventh anniversary season with its annual Collaborative Works Festival, held in venues around Chicago from October 6—9, 2021. The 2021 Collaborative ...
|Quigley again calls for end to detention of trans migrants 2021-07-09|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding Member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, led thirty House Democrats in calling for an end to ...
|OP-ED Foreign drug pricing puts America's most vulnerable patients last 2021-07-03|
By Guy Anthony - It's no coincidence that American companies led the charge to develop COVID-19 vaccines. Numerous policies—from strong patent protections to a welcoming immigration system—help ensure that the world's smartest scientists can ...
|Quigley advocates for trans immigrants during ICE hearing 2021-05-13|
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), Vice-Chair of the LGBT Equality Caucus and a founding member of the Transgender Equality Task Force, questioned Acting Director of Immigration ...
|Applications for asylum based on LGBT status top 11,000 between 2012, 2017
--From a press release - A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law estimates that 11,400 applications for asylum on the basis of LGBT status were filed in the U.S. between 2012 and 2017. Three out of ...
|TANIA UNZUETA: Fighting for justice, one cause at a time 2021-03-04|
- LGBTQ, immigration and political activist Tania Unzueta has spent the last three years living in Georgia involved in political and electoral organizing. She returned to Chicago in January with her partner. Unzueta came to Chicago from ...
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...
|Cook County Board unanimously approves immigration resolution
- On Jan. 28, the Cook County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved resolution #21-0495, which calls upon the federal government to implement policies to protect the immigrant community and strengthen the immigration system in the United States. ...
|Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
- In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its ...
|Lambda Legal, others challenge Trump administration's asylum rule
- Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality and co-counsel Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP filed a federal lawsuit, Immigration Equality v. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, challenging the Trump administration's recently published ...
|Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality to challenge asylum ban
- On Dec. 10, the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice announced they will soon publish a new rule that Lambda Legal said "eviscerates the United States asylum system," according to a joint press release ...
|Largest survey of undocumented immigrants finds acute economic distress 2020-12-07|
- LOS ANGELES — The members of the California Immigrant Relief Assistance Coalition announce the release of one of the largest surveys of undocumented immigrant needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. More than 91,000 Californians participated in the ...
|Judge orders restoration of DACA
- Judge Nicholas Garaufis, of the U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, ordered the Trump administration to fully restore Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)an Obama-era initiative that protects undocumented immigrants brought ...
|'Lives at Stake' virtual panel Oct. 19 2020-10-14|
- On Monday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m. Rainbow Railroad, joined by the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Chicago chapter, will present a unique and timely virtual panel discussion entitled, "Lives at Stake: Implications of the U.S. Election ...
|Rainbow Railroad panel to discuss election implications for displaced LGBTQIs 2020-10-07|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, ILLINOIS Rainbow Railroad, joined by the Chicago Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, will host a virtual panel discussion Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m , CT, focusing on the life and death implications ...