WINDY CITY TIMES
||LGBT immigrant-rights forum Sept. 27
This article shared 3385 times since Wed Sep 21, 2011
An LGBT immigrant-rights forum will take place Tuesday, Sept. 27, 6-8 p.m., at the Adler School of Professional Psychology, 17 N. Dearborn St. U.S. Reps. Luis Gutierrez and Mike Quigley are slated to be part of the event.
Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Human Relations and Amigas Latinas co-founder Mona Noriega is hosting the forum. According to its Facebook page, "This is an opportunity for immigrant rights advocates, community members, representatives of LGBT institutions, members of faith-based organizations, and anyone interested in the intersection between the LGBT community and immigration policy, to ask their representatives about the political landscape in Washington D.C."
Seating is limited at this free event. Guests must RSVP at bit.ly/lgbtimmigrationRSVP.
This article shared 3385 times since Wed Sep 21, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...
|Cook County Board unanimously approves immigration resolution
- On Jan. 28, the Cook County Board of Commissioners unanimously approved resolution #21-0495, which calls upon the federal government to implement policies to protect the immigrant community and strengthen the immigration system in the United States. ...
|Calif. court blocks Trump administration's asylum rule
- In response to a request from Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, and Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California issued an order on Jan. 8 blocking, in its ...
|Lambda Legal, others challenge Trump administration's asylum rule
- Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality and co-counsel Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP filed a federal lawsuit, Immigration Equality v. U.S. Department of Homeland Security, challenging the Trump administration's recently published ...
|Lambda Legal, Immigration Equality to challenge asylum ban
- On Dec. 10, the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice announced they will soon publish a new rule that Lambda Legal said "eviscerates the United States asylum system," according to a joint press release ...
|Largest survey of undocumented immigrants finds acute economic distress 2020-12-07|
- LOS ANGELES — The members of the California Immigrant Relief Assistance Coalition announce the release of one of the largest surveys of undocumented immigrant needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. More than 91,000 Californians participated in the ...
|Judge orders restoration of DACA
- Judge Nicholas Garaufis, of the U.S. District Court in Brooklyn, ordered the Trump administration to fully restore Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)an Obama-era initiative that protects undocumented immigrants brought ...
|'Lives at Stake' virtual panel Oct. 19 2020-10-14|
- On Monday, Oct. 19, at 7:30 p.m. Rainbow Railroad, joined by the American Immigration Lawyers Association's Chicago chapter, will present a unique and timely virtual panel discussion entitled, "Lives at Stake: Implications of the U.S. Election ...
|Rainbow Railroad panel to discuss election implications for displaced LGBTQIs 2020-10-07|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, ILLINOIS Rainbow Railroad, joined by the Chicago Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, will host a virtual panel discussion Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m , CT, focusing on the life and death implications ...
|ICIRR, coalition of immigrant rights groups sue over the unlawful fee rule 2020-08-21|
--From a press release - [Chicago] The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR) today announced that it has joined a coalition of nine of the nation's leading immigrant rights organizations in filing a lawsuit ...
|81,000 'Dreamers' identify as LGBT, 39,000 of them have participated in DACA 2020-06-18|
- There are an estimated 81,000 LGBT Dreamers in the U.S., including 39,000 who have participated in Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), according to an updated report by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law. ...
|NCLR cheers court ruling invalidating attempt to end DACA 2020-06-18|
- WASHINGTON, DC — Today, the U.S. Supreme Court invalidated the Trump Administration's attempt to end the Department of Homeland Security's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which provides relief ...
|NATIONAL Lawsuit against ICE, election items, Rufus Gifford, Puerto Rico killings 2020-05-04|
- A coalition of LGBTQ and immigration activists filed a class-action lawsuit demanding the immediate release of all transgender detainees in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention, NBC News reported. The ...
|COVID-19 First cases confirmed at ICE facility in Illinois 2020-04-10|
- Chicago, IL In response to the news of the first confirmed cases of COVID-19 at the Pulaski County Detention Center, community organizers with Organized Communities Against Deportations offered the following statement. "It was only a ...
|Trump administration suspends asylum processing, elected officials respond
- Washington, D.C. — Today, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot L. Engel (D-NY), and Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-MS) issued the ...