WINDY CITY TIMES
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 3455 times since Wed Aug 31, 2011
Playwright: Barbara Lhota. At: Babes With Blades at Lincoln Square in the Berry Methodist Church, 4754 N. Leavitt St. Phone: 773-904-0391; $20, Runs through: Sept. 24
Listen up, kidshere's your premise: It's 1940 and, in support of women's contribution to the war effort (Rosie the Riveter, don't ya know?), Broadway producer Saul Bloomfield is financing a modern-day production of Cyrano de Bergeracwith Roxane fighting alongside her beloved men at the frontthat he hopes Warner Brothers will consider for a possible movie. To that end, he has assembled a bevy of Hollywood personalities, among them a female fencing master whose younger sister has, coincidentally, been hired to stunt-double for the leading lady.
Welcome to the world of screwball comedy! Barbara Lhota's homage to the film classics of this romantic genre adheres to formula with a plot encompassing elements of the backstage-intrigue scenario (lecherous leading men, temperamental divas, etc.), the class-differences scenario (stage vs. cinematic acting styles) and no less than three pairs of lovers unsure of their affectionsespecially two young women, initially enamored of the same man, who find themselves increasingly drawn to one another. Lhota's cupid being an equal-opportunity facilitator, everyone eventually gets what they want.
Oh, but not until an escalating series of complications have threatened to scuttle the best-laid plans of sweethearts and show biz. Will ex-spouses Charles Fontaine and Rosalind Rollins (the latter played by Lisa Herceg in full Rosalind-you-know-who drag) reunite? Will onscreen villain George Hall overcome his shyness and profess his passion for his feisty swordmistress? Will childhood companions Minnie Sparks and Olivia Wood acknowledge their mutual attraction and come up with a scheme for preserving their careers guaranteeing their likewise lavender swain safety as well? Will the West Coast moguls applaud the experimental Cyrano and make everybody rich?
Lhota's dialogue for this Babes With Blades production crackles with rat-a-tat authenticity (despite being sometimes blurred by its church-basement acoustics), while Leigh Barrett's direction keeps the pace crisp and high-stepping. The athletic cast combines precision comic timing and unflagging agilityDid I mention Alison Dornheggen's swing-dance numbers?to fulfill the demands of this period romcom. Theatergoers dismissing the Babes With Blades as a stunt troupe instead of a bona fide theater company are advised to re-assess their assumptions, even as they thrill to Libby Beyreis' dazzlingand hilariousclimactic swordplay scene featuring BWB founding member Kathrynne Wolf swinging steel in the role of the entire attacking Spanish army! How can you pass up spectacle like that?
This article shared 3455 times since Wed Aug 31, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Glessner House to present A Theater in the Dark's staged reading of The White City 2023-10-04|
--From a press release. Video below - Immersive staged reading of WHITE CITY - a theatrical thriller surrounding the notorious Chicago serial killer H. H. Holmes, who is said to have murdered more than 20 people during the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. ...
|55th anniversary Jeff Awards for Equity theaters announced 2023-10-03|
--From a press release - (October 2, 2023 — CHICAGO) — At the 55th anniversary celebration of Equity theater excellence, the Jeff Awards recognized 46 award recipients selected from among 214 theater artist nominees across ...
|Beyonce concert film 'Renaissance' debuting Dec. 1 2023-10-03|
- Media outlets have reported that the theatrical release date for Renaissance: A Film By Beyoncea movie chronicling the superstar's most recent world touris Dec. 1. Advance tickets are already available for sale on major theater chains ...
|OPERA REVIEW Lyric's new season at full-sail with debuting 'Dutchman' production 2023-09-30|
- Lyric Opera of Chicago is off to a flying start with its new-to-Chicago production of Richard Wagner's The Flying Dutchman. Magnificent performances by the leads and chorusnot to mention masterful work by Lyric's orchestra, conducted by ...
|THEATER REVIEW 'Little Voice' showcases big talents 2023-09-29|
- The Gift Theatre at Filament Theatre, 4041 N. Milwaukee Through Oct. 15 thegifttheatre.org � I kept thinking of Walter, one of the regulars at (late, lamented) Bucks Saloon, when watching The Gift Theatre's current production of ...
|SAVOR Jam-packed Chicago Gourmet; Easy Bar's 'Drag Me to Bingo' 2023-09-28|
- Hundreds of people recently took part in one of the city's annual culinary highlights: Chicago Gourmet. Spanning Sept. 21-24 mostly at the Harris Theater rooftop at Millennium Park, Chicago Gourmet featured, as usual, several events, including ...
|DANCE Deeply Rooted performing Nov. 3 at the Auditorium Theatre 2023-09-27|
- The Auditorium Theatre, 50 E. Ida B. Wells Dr., is presenting Deeply Rooted Dance Theatera Chicago-based contemporary dance company rooted in traditions of American and African-American dancein a one-night-only performance ...
|Teatro Zinzanni returning to Cambria Hotel on Oct. 5 2023-09-25|
- Teatro ZinZanni is returning to the Chicago Loop—tucked inside a mirrored spiegeltent within the 14th floor of the Cambria Hotel, 32 W. Randolph St. The cast features returning fan favorites including Duo 19, a dynamic trapeze ...
|THEATER Mosaic Players revives 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche 2023-09-24|
- Are suburban Illinois and Wisconsin towns ready to welcome 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche into their churches, synagogues and community colleges? The artists of a Lake County theater company certainly think so. "I was very pleasantly ...
|SHOWBIZ John Waters, Madonna, Miriam Margoyles, Angelica Ross, 'Cassandro' 2023-09-21|
- Openly gay film director John Waters (Pink Flamingos, Serial Mom, Cry-Baby) received his star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, The Hollywood Reporter noted. (Actors Ricki Lake and Mink Stole as well as photographer Greg Gorman were ...
|SHOWBIZ Kim Petras, LGBTQ+ movies, TIFF, canceled shows, yachts 2023-09-15|
Video below - Ahead of her Feed the Beast world tour, Grammy-winning international trans pop singer/songwriter Kim Petras has shared reimagined, symphonic, seven-piece string-ensemble performances of fan favorites from her debut album Feed ...
|THEATER Queer actor Kyle Patrick reflects on leading 'American Psycho: The Musical' 2023-09-14|
- American Psychoboth the Bret Easton Ellis novel and the Mary Harron-directed film led by Christian Balewould seem ripe for a musical treatment, given the omnipresent campy elements (despite, or maybe because of, the gore). And, in ...
|Chicago Opera Theater starts 50th-anniv. season with 'Soldier Songs' 2023-09-13|
- Chicago Opera Theater (COT) is kicking off its 50th-anniversary season with David T. Little's Grammy-nominated Soldier Songs—described as "a haunting, heavy-metal infused theatrical cantata about the psychological impact of war." ...
|Porchlight Music Theatre's announces 29th season 2023-09-12|
--From a press release - This past Friday at our special event, Porchlight ICONS: Celebrating Ben Vereen, we shared the exclusive announcement of our 29th Season! The new season launches with The Cole Porter Festival - A Celebration of the Man ...
|THEATER Jim Henson production in Chicago on Nov. 14-Dec. 31 2023-09-12|
- A live theatrical adaptation of Jim Henson's Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas is making its Chicago debut Nov. 14-Dec. 31, at the Studebaker Theater at the historic Fine Arts Building, 410 S. Michigan Ave., Broadway World revealed. ...
|SHOWBIZ Outfest, Halo, 'Sex Education,' trans singer, 'Doctor Who'|
|NATIONAL Bisexual politicians, DADT, NBJC awards, crimes, Buttigieg|
|WORLD African efforts, HIV in Amsterdam, Donatella Versace, 'The Queen in Me'|
|MUSIC Former 'Idol' finalist Jim Verraros on his new song, Chicago and Kelly Clarkson|
|Support group for LGBT widows and widowers unites members in grief|