WINDY CITY TIMES
by Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 3067 times since Wed Aug 31, 2011
Playwright: Barbara Lhota. At: Babes With Blades at Lincoln Square in the Berry Methodist Church, 4754 N. Leavitt St. Phone: 773-904-0391; $20, Runs through: Sept. 24
Listen up, kidshere's your premise: It's 1940 and, in support of women's contribution to the war effort (Rosie the Riveter, don't ya know?), Broadway producer Saul Bloomfield is financing a modern-day production of Cyrano de Bergeracwith Roxane fighting alongside her beloved men at the frontthat he hopes Warner Brothers will consider for a possible movie. To that end, he has assembled a bevy of Hollywood personalities, among them a female fencing master whose younger sister has, coincidentally, been hired to stunt-double for the leading lady.
Welcome to the world of screwball comedy! Barbara Lhota's homage to the film classics of this romantic genre adheres to formula with a plot encompassing elements of the backstage-intrigue scenario (lecherous leading men, temperamental divas, etc.), the class-differences scenario (stage vs. cinematic acting styles) and no less than three pairs of lovers unsure of their affectionsespecially two young women, initially enamored of the same man, who find themselves increasingly drawn to one another. Lhota's cupid being an equal-opportunity facilitator, everyone eventually gets what they want.
Oh, but not until an escalating series of complications have threatened to scuttle the best-laid plans of sweethearts and show biz. Will ex-spouses Charles Fontaine and Rosalind Rollins (the latter played by Lisa Herceg in full Rosalind-you-know-who drag) reunite? Will onscreen villain George Hall overcome his shyness and profess his passion for his feisty swordmistress? Will childhood companions Minnie Sparks and Olivia Wood acknowledge their mutual attraction and come up with a scheme for preserving their careers guaranteeing their likewise lavender swain safety as well? Will the West Coast moguls applaud the experimental Cyrano and make everybody rich?
Lhota's dialogue for this Babes With Blades production crackles with rat-a-tat authenticity (despite being sometimes blurred by its church-basement acoustics), while Leigh Barrett's direction keeps the pace crisp and high-stepping. The athletic cast combines precision comic timing and unflagging agilityDid I mention Alison Dornheggen's swing-dance numbers?to fulfill the demands of this period romcom. Theatergoers dismissing the Babes With Blades as a stunt troupe instead of a bona fide theater company are advised to re-assess their assumptions, even as they thrill to Libby Beyreis' dazzlingand hilariousclimactic swordplay scene featuring BWB founding member Kathrynne Wolf swinging steel in the role of the entire attacking Spanish army! How can you pass up spectacle like that?
This article shared 3067 times since Wed Aug 31, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|THEATER Theo Ubique hosting production about Elizabeth Taylor 2022-06-29|
- Evanston's Theo Ubique Cabaret Theatre, 721 Howard St., will run Call Me Elizabethan acclaimed one-woman show about the early life of Elizabeth Tayloron Aug. 20 (at 7:30 p.m.) and 21 (at 2:30 p.m.) only. The production ...
|Production based on Larry Kramer speech at Center on July 22-31 2022-06-28|
- Open Space Arts announced its inaugural production of The Kramer Project, directed and adapted by David Zak from activist Larry Kramer's watershed speech "The Tragedy of Today's Gays." This will be the first production for Open ...
|SHOWBIZ Elliot Page, NPH, Madonna, Chita Rivera, Jennifer Lopez 2022-06-26|
- Elliot Page talked with talk-show host Seth Meyers about how her Netflix show The Umbrella Academy incorporated the actor's own personal transition into season three of the series, Deadline noted. "With Steve Blackman, the showrunner of ...
|Writers Theatre's 2022-23 season to include 'Tiger Style!,' 'Once' and other productions 2022-06-21|
-- From a press release - Glencoe, ILWriters Theatre Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma and Interim Artistic Director Bobby Kennedy announce the company's 2022/23 four-play season, to include Mike Lew's Tiger Style!, directed by Brian Balcom; ...
|Goodman Theatre running musical 'Life After' through July 17 2022-06-20|
- Goodman Theatre is running the musical Life After through Sunday, July 17. With humor and wit, this "luminous new musical…lush, poetic and surprisingly funny" (The San Diego Union-Tribune) explores how people move through and live with ...
|Billy Masters 2022-06-20|
- "u don't know my alphabet."Sexy Lukas Gage (from The White Lotus; Love, Victor; and the rebooted Queer as Folk) tweets his response to criticism that Hollywood shouldn't hire him to play LGBTQIA+ roles. When asked to ...
|WORLD Pride disruption, trans journalists, Tunisian play, marriage bills 2022-06-19|
- Turkish police officers carrying clear-plastic riot shields, wielding batons and deploying pepper powder balls as well as tear gas violently broke up a Pride parade that Middle East Technical University students organized in the capital of ...
|SHOWBIZ 'Lightyear,' celebrity event, LGBT runner, Mariah Carey 2022-06-19|
Video below - Pixar's latest film Lightyear is hitting theaters, and it has a special moment for gay fans—a same-sex kiss between the character Hawthorne (voiced by Uzo Aduba) and her female partner—that almost didn't happen, Out Magazine note ...
|Steep Theatre's race-centered 'Paris' running June 17-July 23 2022-06-17|
- Steep Theatre, 1044 W. Berwyn Ave., will run the Eboni Booth work Paris on June 17-July 23. Jonathan Berry will direct. Returning home to the small town of Paris, Vermont, Emmie tries to make ends meet ...
|PERFORMANCE 'Moonset Sunrise' at Navy Pier on June 16 and 18 2022-06-15|
- Collaboraction announced that Moonset Sunrise, its 25th-anniversary production, with live performances on June 16 and 18 at 7:30 p.m. at Beat Kitchen's new Bar Sol on Navy Pier, 700 E. Grand Ave. Through healing ritual, storytelling, ...
|Queer-themed plays win Tonys; Hudson reaches EGOT status 2022-06-13|
- On June 12, the 75th annual Tony Awards were held to honor the top performances from the theater industry. The event—hosted by LGBTQ+ Oscar winner/Tony nominee Ariana DeBose at New York City's Radio City Music Hall—followed ...
|SHOWBIZ Jodie Comer, 'Queer As Folk,' trans film, Tom of Finland photos 2022-06-12|
- Jodie Comerthe Emmy- and BAFTA-winning actress perhaps best known for playing LGBTQ+ assassin Villanelle on BBC America's Killing Evewill make her Broadway debut next spring in Prima Facie, a new play by Suzie Miller, Deadline noted. ...
|Theo Ubique marks 25th-anniversary season with four musicals 2022-06-11|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO (JUNE 10, 2022) Theo Ubique Cabaret Theatre's Artistic Director Fred Anzevino and Managing/Casting Director Christopher Pazdernik announced the 25th Anniversary season today with four musicals including a Midwest Premiere ...
|Strawdog Theatre announces new managing director and production manager 2022-06-10|
- Strawdog Theatre Company announced the appointments of Paul Cook (he/him) as its new managing director and Donna "Dante" Gary (they/them) as its new production manager. Cook has been the production manager at Strawdog since 2019 and ...
|TRAVEL Chicago theater blooms outside and out of town 2022-06-08|
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater is keeping its show docked at its Navy Pier facility and Oak Brook's First Folio Theatre is taking the summer off before re-commencing in the fall, but playgoers eager to swap the urban ...