||Online petition urges president to sign executive order prohibiting discrimination in military
From a news release
This article shared 3601 times since Tue Jul 26, 2011
(WASHINGTON, D.C.) Today, Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN) launched an online petition calling on President Barack Obama to issue an executive order prohibiting discrimination and harassment in the armed forces based on sexual orientation and gender identity. SLDN first urged the President to issue such an order in a February letter, recommending that the order go into effect on the date of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) repeal, now set for Tuesday, September 20, 2011. SLDN renewed its call for the order last week, when the President, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Michael Mullen, issued formal certification to the Congress that the military is ready for repeal. The order would give LGBT service members recourse outside their chain of command if they are experiencing discrimination or harassment.
"Signing legislation that allows for repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' was an historic milestone, and we appreciate the President's leadership and commitment in making that happen. But repeal alone is not sufficient for ensuring equality in the military. Today, we invite advocates for equality to join us in calling on the President to issue this order. Every service member deserves equal respect in the work environment, and it's critical that gay and lesbian service members have the same avenues for recourse as their straight counterparts when it comes to discrimination and harassment," said Army Veteran and SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis.
The petition is conducted through Change.org and is available at the following link:
STILL AT RISK: Despite the certification issued July 22, 2011, it is still unsafe for service members to come out until September 20, 2011, when repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" will become final. Click here to read our warning to service members.
SLDN FREE HOTLINE: Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender service members with questions are urged to contact the SLDN hotline to speak with a staff attorney: 202-328-3244 x100.
ABOUT SLDN: Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN) was established in 1993 when "Don't Ask" originally passed. In addition to working on repeal, SLDN offers free, confidential legal services to those impacted by the discriminatory law. We have received more than 11,000 calls for assistance to our legal hotline.
This article shared 3601 times since Tue Jul 26, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|Resolution recognizes 10th anniversary of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2021-09-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), along with Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) and Rep. Chris Pappas (D-NH), lead a resolution to recognize the 10th anniversary of the enactment of the repeal of "Don't Ask, ...
|BOOKS 'Mission Possible' released before 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anniversary 2021-09-20|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), has written Mission Possible: The Story of the Repealing 'Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is the inside story of SLDN, which was ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|VA to offer surgery to transgender vets for the first time
- U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denis McDonough announced that officials, for the first time, will offer surgeries for transgender veterans seeking to transition, Military Times reported. The move follows ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...
|Pritzker Military Museum hosting June 23 Pride panel 2021-06-09|
- Chicago's Pritzker Military Museum & Library is presenting a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wed., June 23, at noon CT in celebration of Pride Month. The virtual ...
|Chicago LGBT veterans honor the fallen on Memorial Day 2021-05-31|
- The Chicago Chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) honored the fallen on Memorial Day with flowers at the granite monument on Halsted Street and Addison which honors LGBTQ veterans. The monument was commissioned ...
|NATIONAL Military bill, LGBTQ teen, trans deaths, Pride items, children's book 2021-05-09|
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy signed a bill that directs the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in the Garden State to assist former Armed Forces service members who were denied an honorable discharge due to ...
|Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Blackhawks Foundation Military Appreciation Night May 1 2021-04-30|
--From a press release - The Chicago Blackhawks and the Chicago Blackhawks Foundation, in partnership with USO Illinois and Boeing, will kick off May's National Military Appreciation Month with the team's Military Appreciation Night game on Saturday, May 1 as the ...
|Pentagon reverses Trump-era ban on trans military service, GLAAD responds 2021-03-31|
--From a GLAAD press release - New York, NY - Wednesday, March 31, 2021 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, celebrates news that the Pentagon will issue ...
|Modern Military Association of America names executive director 2021-02-09|
--From a press release - MMAA is pleased to announce that the board of directors has selected Jennifer Dane as executive director. Jennifer is a U.S. Air Force veteran and has served as the organization's interim executive director since February 2020. ...
|MMAA condemns Cong. Marjorie Taylor Greene's 'Hate American Flags' statement
--From a Modern Military Association of America press release - WASHINGTON Tonight, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization condemns Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene's statement on 'hate Ameri ...
|Biden's repeal of trans military ban impacts over 15,500 adults in the military
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on transgender military service in U.S. Today, President Biden signed an executive order ending the ban on transgender military service. The directive instructs the Department of Defense to reinstate the 2016 ...