WINDY CITY TIMES
||UCAN holds open house for its LGBT home program
Special to the online edition of Windy City Times
by Terrence Chappell, Windy City Times
This article shared 2916 times since Wed Apr 27, 2011
Uhlich Children's Advantage Network (UCAN) welcomed guests and prospective foster parents to an April 20 open house to learn more about the organization's LGBTQ Host Home Program, additional youth outreach initiatives, and how they can help.
The LGBTQ Host Home Program is designed to identify and recruit adults who have an extra bedroom in their home to host an LGBTQ youth member. According to UCAN's website, the program is an alternative approach to shelters that provides a more stable temporary home for homeless youth ages 17-21, and labels the programs as a "permanent" transition from homelessness to independence. The program also aims to work with youth on their educational and vocational goals. Co-founder and associated director of the LGBTQ Host Home Program Bonnie Wade views the program as a great opportunity for young people who experience homelessness.
"We're trying to offer one more option for our young people who experience homelessness," said Wade.
UCAN volunteer and full-time Harold Washington College student Malaundja Gayles shared with guests her past story of struggle and personal experiences with homelessness. Unlike some shelters, Gayles believes that the program offers a friendlier, more comfortable atmosphere for growth. Gayles sees the LGBT Host Home Program as an intergenerational approach to combating homelessness that is mutually beneficial for both the participant and the host.
"The most unique aspect of this program is the sense of healing - the sense of learning and growth that you will get one on one in a family environment as opposed to living in an institutionalized setting. This program offers hope and opportunity to youth," said Gayles.
Youth enrolled in the program must be working full time and/or a full-time student. Qualified hosts must be at least 25 years old and have lived in Chicago for at least one year. They must also provide three references; complete a criminal background check, go through an initial interview and follow-up home interview; have an extra bedroom for the youth; possess renter/homeowner's insurance; and complete comprehensive training with an LGBT affirmative practice model. For more information about UCAN and the LGBTQ Host Home Program, visit www.ucanchicago.org .
This article shared 2916 times since Wed Apr 27, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...
|WORLD Canadian groups, Moroccan refugee, LGBT+ Rights Ghana, trans heroine 2021-02-21|
- From $400,000 in funding for a national initiative aimed at expanding two-spirit advocacy, to $239,000 to improve LGBTQ youth housing access in the Prairies, 76 Canadian community groups are being sent nearly $15 million from the ...
|Court Theatre announces 2021 Southside Youth Fest, platform for teens 2021-02-18|
--From a press release - Chicago, IL - Court Theatre, under the continuing leadership of Charles Newell, Marilyn F. Vitale Artistic Director, and Executive Director Angel Ysaguirre, announces Court's 2021 Southside Youth Fest, inviting South Side teens to submit original digi ...
|WORLD School items, Olympics, Angola law, Dutch senate 2021-02-14|
- Toronto's Catholic school board reinstated the link to an LGBT support phone line on its website following outrage from the community, according to Yahoo! News, citing The Canadian Press. The school board removed LGBT YouthLine from ...
|ACLU of Illinois reacts to Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care 2021-02-10|
- In response to the Auditor General's report on LGBTQ youth in DCFS care, Ghirlandi Guidetti, Staff Attorney with the ACLU of Illinois made the following statement: "Today's Auditor General's report reveals a sad but unsurprising truth: ...
|GLAAD: Senators vote against response to riot but introduce anti-trans bill 2021-02-10|
--From a press release - Five of the eight senators objecting to Electoral College votes and voting against the second Trump impeachment trial have cosponsored a new bill targeting transgender youth, adding to history of anti-LGBTQ votes and views GLAAD: "More ...
|Equality Illinois, Rainbow Cafe, legislators, PPIA reintroduce REACH Act
- Illinois state Sen. Ram Villivalam (D-8), state Rep. Kathleen Willis (D-77), Planned Parenthood Illinois Action (PPIA), Equality Illinois and Rainbow Cafe LGBTQ Youth Center held a press conference Feb. 2 ...
|Indianapolis council condemns conversion therapy; Indiana Stonewall Dems celebrate
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats celebrated the Indianapolis City-County Council and its LGBTQ councillors for passing a proclamation on Feb. 1 that formally condemns "conversion therapy" and the long-term health complications it ...
|Book helps families with kids discuss gender roles, same gender attraction 2021-01-29|
--From a press release - A new book, Pepito Has a Doll, is centered on the experience of a shy young boy who lives with his grandmother. Pepito has only one friend, his doll Lola, until Miguel appears and they begin a joyful adventure together. Bilingual ...
|Day 1 executive orders impact millions of LGBTQ youth, adults of diverse communities 2021-01-20|
--From a Williams Institute press release - Today, President Biden signed a sweeping executive order directing federal agencies to adopt a comprehensive approach to advancing equity for all, including in federal employment, policies, programs, and services. This is the first day one executive ...
|Indiana to open first home for LGBTQ+ homeless youths
- Indiana's first dedicated residential facility for LGBTQ+ young adults experiencing homelessness is slated to open this year in Indianapolis, according to WLFI.com. This home was years in the making. Trinity ...
|Indiana pols propose anti-conversion therapy bill
- Indiana Stonewall Democrats issued a press release lauding state Sen. JD Ford (District 39) and state Rep. Sue Errington (District 26) for introducing a new bill to effectively end so-called "conversion therapy" practices across the state ...
|National LGBTQ organizations call for Trump's removal from office 2021-01-08|
--From a press release - New York, NY - Thursday, Jan. 7, 2020 - GLAAD, the world's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) media advocacy organization, along with leading LGBTQ legal, health, youth, justice and equality organizations, is callin ...
|WORLD Lithuania outlook, HIV/AIDS and COVID, lawyer arrested, trans youth 2020-12-27|
- Lithuania appears set to legalize same-sex civil partnerships next year, but same-sex marriage could be up to a decade away, according to Tomas Raskevicius—the country's only openly LGBT+ lawmaker, Reuters reported. "We're going to submit t ...
|11th Circuit urged to reverse decision allowing LGBTQ youth conversion therapy 2020-12-21|
--From a Born Perfect press release - ATLANTA, GA — The Born Perfect campaign submitted a friend-of-the-court brief on Friday urging reversal of a recent decision by a three-judge federal panel validating the dangerous unethical practice known ...