WINDY CITY TIMES
||DADT discharges down in 2010
News update posted March 24, 2011
This article shared 7051 times since Wed Mar 30, 2011
Servicemembers United, the nation's largest organization of gay and lesbian troops and veterans, announced that it has obtained documents showing that the total official number of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ( DADT ) discharges for fiscal year 2010 was 261.
The annual fiscal year DADT discharge statistic combines the total number of discharges reported by the Department of Defense, which was 250, with the total number of discharges reported by the Department of Homeland Security for the Coast Guard, which was 11.
"While this latest official discharge number represents an all-time annual low, it is still unusually high considering that the secretary of defense issued a directive half-way through the fiscal year to make it much harder for military units to discharge troops under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,'" said Alexander Nicholson, executive director of Servicemembers United. For the most comprehensive collection of polling data, discharge statistics, academic works, legislative and congressional material, and more, visit www.DADTArchive.org .
This article shared 7051 times since Wed Mar 30, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Under secretary leaving, gay man killed, anti-trans moves, SF gay bar 2023-02-19|
- Under Secretary Gina Ortiz Jones—the Air Force's second-highest ranking civilian—is stepping down on March 6, after a year and a half in the position, according to military.com. Jones was appointed by President Joe Biden as the ...
|Rubio, Banks introduce bill that would ban some trans people from military 2023-02-17|
- Republicans are introducing measures in both houses of Congress that, if passed, would ban some transgender people from serving in the military, The Hill reported. The Ensuring Military Readiness Act, sponsored by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida), ...
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...
|Trans U.S. Army doctor, wife charged with helping Russia in war against Ukraine 2022-09-30|
- A U.S. Army major doctor and their physician wife were arrested for an alleged criminal plot to give Russia confidential medical information about people connected to the U.S. military and government, CNBC reported. Federal prosecutors claim ...
|Palm Center to close permanently on Sept. 30 2022-09-26|
- The Palm Centeran independent research institute that uses scholarship to inform the national conversation about military policy concerning LGBTQ+ service memberswill close permanently on Sept. 30 after running for 24 ...
|Real-life-based gay military movie 'The Inspection' coming out Nov. 18 2022-08-23|
Video below - The movie The Inspection—based on director Elegance Bratton's own life—will be out in theaters on Friday, Nov. 18. In Bratton's film inspired by his own story, a young, gay Black man—rejected by his mother and with ...
|VIEWS The gay general at Valley Forge 2022-06-18|
- Friedrich Wilhelm Ludolf Gerhard Augustin von Steuben was born on Sept. 17, 1730, in Magdeburg, Germany. Son of a military father, Friedrich joined the Prussian army considered the most advanced professional army in Europe at the ...
|New military policy keeps HIV-positive service members deployable 2022-06-09|
- A new Defense Department policy allows HIV-positive service members with an undetectable viral load to not only stay in uniform but remain deployable, Military Times reported. ...
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|WORLD Soldiers, Everywhere Is Queer, soccer items 2022-04-24|
Video below - The South Korean Supreme Court ruled that soldiers of the same sex who have consensual sex in a private space cannot be charged with assault under the Military Criminal Act, The Hankyoreh reported. Previously, the court ...
|Federal court strikes down Pentagon's restrictions on military service of people Living with HIV as unconstitutional 2022-04-07|
-- From a press release - "The court ruled that the Pentagon's policies regarding service members with HIV are not only outdated, but unlawful, arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional . . . one of the strongest judicial rulings in over two decades ...
|Leader in fight to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to join virtual book club with LGBTQ veterans April 7 2022-04-07|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), will join the Chicago chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) April 7 at 7 p.m. for a virtual Book ...
|Gov. Pritzker lauds legislation to strengthen Illinois' response to military sexual violence 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In a nation-leading effort to protect survivors of military sexual violence and hold perpetrators accountable, the Illinois National Guard worked closely with state Senate Assistant Majority Leader Tony ...
|NATIONAL Oregon ruling, bomb threat, military lawsuit, Tim Cook, Netflix 2022-01-30|
- The Oregon Court of Appeals upheld a 2015 ruling by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) that the owners of Gresham-based Sweetcakes By Melissa violated the state's nondiscrimination statutes when they refused to bake ...
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...