WINDY CITY TIMES
||DADT discharges down in 2010
News update posted March 24, 2011
This article shared 6382 times since Wed Mar 30, 2011
Servicemembers United, the nation's largest organization of gay and lesbian troops and veterans, announced that it has obtained documents showing that the total official number of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ( DADT ) discharges for fiscal year 2010 was 261.
The annual fiscal year DADT discharge statistic combines the total number of discharges reported by the Department of Defense, which was 250, with the total number of discharges reported by the Department of Homeland Security for the Coast Guard, which was 11.
"While this latest official discharge number represents an all-time annual low, it is still unusually high considering that the secretary of defense issued a directive half-way through the fiscal year to make it much harder for military units to discharge troops under 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell,'" said Alexander Nicholson, executive director of Servicemembers United. For the most comprehensive collection of polling data, discharge statistics, academic works, legislative and congressional material, and more, visit www.DADTArchive.org .
This article shared 6382 times since Wed Mar 30, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|New study: Military transgender ban hurts readiness 2020-11-23|
--From a press release - SAN FRANCISCO, CA — A new study has found that the current ban on military service by transgender Americans has harmed the armed forces, contradicting claims by the Trump administration that the ban was needed to ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...
|New coalition advocates voting accessibility for military, veterans, including LGBTQs 2020-09-02|
--From a press release - Today, the Military Vote Coalition (MVC) is taking action to protect access to the ballot box for military families and veterans. Among those groups is the Modern Military Association of America, a non-profit organization dedicated to ...
|House members demand LGBTQ Pride flags be allowed on military installations 2020-07-31|
- WASHINGTON, D.C. House Armed Services Committee Vice Chair and 30-year Army veteran Congressman Anthony Brown (MD-04), Subcommittee on Military Personnel Chair Congresswoman Jackie Speier (CA-14) ...
|U.S. House of Representatives votes to end Trump-Pence transgender military ban
--From a MMAA press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA), the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization, released the following statement following the U.S. House of Representatives' vote ...
|Former state National Guard enlistee alleges anti-trans discrimination 2020-07-18|
- Former Illinois Army National Guard enlistee Liam Papworth has filed a complaint with the Illinois Department of Human Rights (IDHR) against Dr. Lawrence Gottlieb and UChicago Medicine, alleging anti-trans medical ...
|Pentagon confirms LGBTQ Pride flag banned
--From a press release - WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America, the nation's largest LGBTQ military and veteran non-profit organization, responded to Secretary Mark Esper's decision to ban the LGBTQ pride flag. ...
|On Memorial Day, LGBT monuments honor those who have died 2020-05-24|
- Memorial Day is a time to honor military personnel who have made the ultimate sacrifice while serving in the United States Armed Forces. The Abraham Lincoln National Cemeterylocated in Elwood, Illinoisis the site of the first ...
|Navy grants first waiver for trans service member 2020-05-15|
- The U.S. Navy granted a waiver allowing a transgender service member to serve "in their preferred gender" for the first time since the military enacted an anti-transgender ban, CNN.com reported. "The acting Secretary of the Navy ...
|NATIONAL Lesbian bishop, iconic activist dies, military lawsuit, drag legend passes 2020-03-31|
- Rev. Bonnie Perry was recently ordained as the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Michiganbeconing the first woman and openly gay person to hold the position, ClickOnDetroit.com noted. "Jesus said almost nothing about homosexuality," Perry ...
|Judge releases Chelsea Manning from jail 2020-03-12|
- On March 12, U.S. District Judge Anthony Trenga ordered the release of former Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manningending about a year of incarceration that she had served for refusing to testify to a grand jury, a ...
|Majority of active duty servicemembers oppose trans military ban 2020-02-27|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest non-profit organization dedicated to advancing fairness and equality for the LGBTQ military and veteran community ...
|LGBTQ military non-profit names veteran Jennifer Dane Interim ED 2020-01-22|
- WASHINGTON Today, the Modern Military Association of America (MMAA) the nation's largest non-profit organization working to advance fairness and equality for the LGBTQ military and veteran community ...
|Federal court upholds injunction preventing discharge of HIV+ airmen 2020-01-10|
- (Richmond, VA, January 10, 2020) Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit upheld a lower court ruling inRoe & Voe v. Esper that halted efforts by the Trump administration to discharge members ...
|Panel faces legal challenges for trans and HIV-positive service members 2019-12-03|
- U.S. Rep. Mike Quigley (D-5) was joined by legal experts at the Pritzker Military Museum the afternoon of Dec. 2 for a discussion of the ongoing challenges facing U.S. military personnel who are transgender and/or HIV ...