WINDY CITY TIMES
|President Obama & the First Lady address bullying in Facebook video
From a White House News Release
This article shared 7015 times since Thu Mar 10, 2011
President Obama and the First Lady talk about bullying and the growing movement, led by young people, to make our communities places where young people can thrive:
While it may not always be in the headlines, bullying is an issue that affects every young person in America, and we all have a responsibility to do something about it.
Tomorrow, the President and First Lady will host parents, teachers, students, community leaders and others at a White House Conference on Bullying Prevention. WhiteHouse.gov/live will have live video throughout the day, including online chats where you can discuss bullying with experts on the subject. We're already taking questions for one of them at www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/03/08/answering-your-questions-bullying-prevention, and you can RSVP for a special "Facebook Live" chat at www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139608676106112.
Learn more about the issue at StopBullying.gov and make sure you join StopBullying.gov's facebook page.
From Macon Phillips on March 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM EST
This article shared 7015 times since Thu Mar 10, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE
|WORLD Queer teen dies, trans activist honored, HIV drugs, mpox, British lesbian 2023-12-01
- In India, queer makeup artist Pranshu reportedly died by suicide—at age 16—after being subjected to relentless attacks online, PinkNews noted. On social media, LGBTQIA+-rights advocacy collective Yes, We Exist claimed ...
|NATIONAL Trevor Project, anti-trans crimes, priest sentenced, hate-crimes unit 2023-11-24
- The Trevor Project announced the extension of its partnership with the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline, reaffirming its commitment to providing specialized assistance to LGBTQ+ people who call 9-8-8, The Advocate reported. Interim Senior Vice President ...
|Study: 40% of trans people have attempted suicide 2023-07-21
- A new study from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law found that 81% of transgender adults in the country have thought about suicide, 42% of transgender adults have attempted it and 56% have engaged ...
|New 988 National Suicide Prevention Hotline number launches 2022-07-17
- On July 16, Vibrant Emotional Health—the nonprofit that operates the lifeline on behalf of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)—launched ...
|Trevor Project: 45% of LGBTQ youth considered suicide in the past year 2022-05-26
- The Trevor Project recently released its 2022 survey on the mental health of LGBTQ+ youth. According to an introduction from Trevor Project CEO & Executive Director Amit Paley, the survey demonstrates that rates of suicidal thoughts ...
|WORLD Trevor Project, Ukraine items, LGBTQ politician, Kosovo's anti-gay move 2022-03-20
- The Trevor Projectthe LGBTQ+ suicide-prevention organization named after "Trevor," an Academy Award-winning short film about a gay teenager who attempts suicideis expanding its services into Mexico, NBC News reported. The ...
|Gay Maryland mayor dies by suicide 2022-01-30
- The Maryland city of Hyattsville released a statement announcing its city's openly gay mayor, Kevin Ward, had died by an apparent suicide, The Washington Blade reported. On Twitter, the city posted, "It is with great sadness ...
|NATIONAL Bullying items, non-binary student, trans ornaments, Hillary Clinton 2021-12-12
- In Tennessee, a Bedford County seventh-grader died by suicide Nov. 28 after he was ruthlessly bullied for being gay, according to LGBTQ Nation. The parents of 12-year-old Eli Fritchley say his peers repeatedly told him he ...
|Lil Nas X receives inaugural Trevor Project award 2021-09-05
- The Trevor Project announced that "Old Town Road" rapper Lil Was X was the recipient of its inaugural Suicide Prevention Advocate of the Year Award. On its website, the organization stated, " Lil Nas X has ...
|Gender-affirming care associated with lower suicide risk for transgender people 2021-09-01
--From a Williams Institute press release - A summary of current data on suicide risk and prevention among transgender people in recognition of Suicide Prevention Month Transgender people who need and receive gender-affirming medical care have a lower prevalence of suicide thoughts and ...
|Trevor Project data on LGBTQ youth suicide shows urgency of Equality Act 2021-07-06
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC Today, Freedom & Opportunity For All, a national campaign advocating for the urgent passage of the Equality Act, and The Trevor Project, the world's largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ ...
|PASSAGES Social-justice activist, dominatrix Mistress Velvet dies 2021-05-21
- PASSAGES Social-justice activist, dominatrix Mistress Velvet dies By Carrie Maxwell Social-justice activist and dominatrix Mistress Velvet (who used they/them pronouns) died by suicide May 9 in Chicago. They were 33. ...
|Trevor Project releases 2021 National Survey on LGBTQ Youth Mental Health 2021-05-19
--From a press release - WASHINGTON, DC May 19, 2021 The Trevor Project, the world's largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people ...
|GLAAD responds to increase in suicide attempts among trans youth in Arkansas 2021-04-19
--From a press release - (New York, NY - April 19, 2021) GLAAD is responding to reports of an increase in suicide attempts among transgender youth in Arkansas, which on April 6 became the first U.S. state to outlaw gender-affirming ...
|Study: 30% of young LGBQ people have attempted suicide in their lifetimes
--From a press release - A new study by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds younger LGBQ adults experience greater psychological distress and suicidal behavior than older LGBQ people. Researchers examined a representative sample of LGBQ people in ...