WINDY CITY TIMES
||President Obama & the First Lady address bullying in Facebook video
From a White House News Release
President Obama and the First Lady talk about bullying and the growing movement, led by young people, to make our communities places where young people can thrive:
While it may not always be in the headlines, bullying is an issue that affects every young person in America, and we all have a responsibility to do something about it.
Tomorrow, the President and First Lady will host parents, teachers, students, community leaders and others at a White House Conference on Bullying Prevention. WhiteHouse.gov/live will have live video throughout the day, including online chats where you can discuss bullying with experts on the subject. We're already taking questions for one of them at www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2011/03/08/answering-your-questions-bullying-prevention, and you can RSVP for a special "Facebook Live" chat at www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139608676106112.
Learn more about the issue at StopBullying.gov and make sure you join StopBullying.gov's facebook page.
From Macon Phillips on March 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM EST
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Suicide Prevention Month summary of data on LGBT suicide 2020-09-01|
--From a Williams Institute press release - Research shows that anti-LGBT discrimination and victimization contribute to an increase in the risk of suicidality and that LGBT people are at disproportionate risk of suicidal ideation, planning, and attempts. In recognition ...
|LGBs who have undergone conversion therapy more likely to attempt suicide 2020-06-15|
- A new report by the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law finds that non-transgender LGB people who experienced conversion therapy were almost twice as likely to think about suicide and to attempt suicide compared to ...
|Federal, private sectors unite in mental health, suicide prevention response 2020-05-06|
- WASHINGTON, D.C. Recognizing the significant impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the country's mental health and well-being, the National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention (Action Alliance), which serves as the ...
|Survey: One in four LGBT Colombians have attempted suicide 2020-05-06|
- Findings from the largest and most comprehensive study conducted on LGBT people in Colombia A new survey from the Williams Institute at UCLA School of Law and the Colombia Collaborative Project finds that the majority (72%) ...
|School official dismisses trans-related suicides 2019-12-02|
- In Evansville, Indiana, a school board member seemingly dismissed activists' concerns about safety for LGBTQ kids and trans-related suicides, Advocate.com reported. Members of the Tri-State Alliancea social service and educational ...
|NATIONAL Manhattan sculpture, Pulse memorial, TrevorLIVE LA, unsolved murder 2019-11-12|
- A 10-foot tall sculpture dedicated to the transgender and gender nonconforming community (TGNC) was unveiled at Tribeca Park in Manhattan, ABC7NY.com reported. Internationally known visual artist Rubem Robierb is the ...
|Study says bias experiences affect suicides in trans adults 2019-09-10|
- New analysis of data from the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey (USTS) found that more than half (51.2 percent) of respondents who had experienced four instances of anti-transgender discrimination and violence ...
|AFSP Illinois Suicide Prevention Walk Sept. 21 2019-08-27|
- The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention's (AFSP) Out of the Darkness walk will take place Saturday, Sept. 21, at 11 a.m. at Montrose Harbor. Suicide is the number-one leading cause of death for people ages 10 ...
|Reports: Man to testify about role in suicide-murder plot 2019-07-22|
- An Oxford University official will testify against a Northwestern University researcher with whom he carried out a murder plot as part of a plea deal, according to Chicago Sun-Times. Andrew Warren, who worked as a clerk ...
|Trevor Project gala raises more than $2M 2019-06-26|
- On June 17, The Trevor Project hosted its 2019 TrevorLIVE New York gala at Cipriani Wall Street. With actress/comedian/writer Nicole Byer and actor/director/digital producer Eugene Lee Yang co-hosting, the event helped raise more than $2 million. ...
|Trevor Project survey shows link between suicide, conversion therapy 2019-06-11|
- The Trevor Project released a new survey showing that 57 percent of young people who experienced conversion therapy attempted suicide in the last year. The National Survey on LGBTQ Youth: Mental Health 2019 is consistent with ...
|NATIONAL Teen suicide, scholarship loss, discrimination cases 2019-04-23|
- Out.com reported that Alabama high-school student Nigel Shelby died by suicide after being the target of homophobic bullying, according to reports that began to surface over the weekend on Facebook. Rocket City Pridethe local LGBTQ+ Pride ...
|National Black Justice Coalition Statement on Nigel Shelby Suicide: "This Must End" 2019-04-22|
- WASHINGTON — Over the weekend it was reported that Nigel Shelby, a high schooler in Huntsville, Alabama, died by suicide. In response to the tragic news, National Black Justice Coalition Executive Director David Johns released the ...
|THEATER REVIEW For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf 2019-03-24|
- Playwright: Ntozake Shange At: Court Theatre, 5535 S. Ellis Ave. Tickets: 773-753-4472; CourtTheatre.org; $50-$74. Runs through: April 14 Ntozake Shange's death in October, at age 70, unleashed an outpouring of tributes from ...
|Steans works to update state's suicide prevention strategy 2019-03-07|
- SPRINGFIELD — State Senator Heather Steans (D-Chicago) spoke at a press conference today with leaders from the Illinois chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) about her legislation ...