||Obama's DOJ stepping back on 2 DOMA cases
From a GLAD News Release
This article shared 5071 times since Fri Feb 25, 2011
The Department of Justice followed Wednesday's withdrawal from two DOMA cases in the Second Circuit, including GLAD's Pedersen v. OPM www.glad.org/work/cases/pedersen-v-opm/ by notifying the clerk of the First Circuit that they will also "cease to defend" the two consolidated DOMA cases, Gill v. Office of Personnel Management www.glad.org/work/cases/gill-v-office-of-personnel-management/ and Massachusetts v. HHS.
The DOJ has not sent a letter to the Congress declining to defend DOMA in toto in the Gill case, so its determination may only apply to the extent the court determines that heightened scrutiny is the proper standard of review for DOMA's constitutionality. No matter what happens, the case will proceed with DOJ as the attorneys for the government defendants.
"It is increasingly clear to everyone what has been clear to gay and lesbian families for years - that DOMA's denial of protections available to all other married families is discriminatory, harmful, and unjustifiable," said Mary L. Bonauto, GLAD's Civil Rights Project Director and lead attorney on both Gill and Pedersen. "DOJ's acknowledgement of this is momentous. At the same time, we know this isn't the end of the road."
In a letter to the court www.glad.org/uploads/docs/cases/gill-v-office-of-personnel-management/doj-letter-re-ma-doma-cases-02-2011.pdf Assistant Attorney General Tony West writes that "the Department will cease its defense of Section 3" in cases including Gill and Massachusetts. DOJ also "notifies the courts of our interest in providing Congress a full and fair opportunity to participate in the litigation of those cases", and that "we will remain parties to the case and continue to represent the interests of the United State throughout the litigation."
GLAD filed Gill, in which it represents 8 married couples and three widowers, in the U.S District Court in March 2009, and in July 2010, won a ruling that DOMA Section 3 is unconstitutional from U.S. District Court Judge Joseph L. Tauro. With the case now pending on appeal in the First Circuit, Congress will have an opportunity to decide whether it wants to have its voice heard in the appeal."
Consistent with their February 23 letter to Speaker of the House John Boehner, the DOJ seeks to provide Congress "a full and fair opportunity to participate" in the case. All of the parties, including GLAD, agree that Congress should be given this opportunity, and will request an extension from the court on the briefing schedule to accommodate Congress's decision-making.
Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders is New England's leading legal organization dedicated to ending discrimination based on sexual orientation, HIV status, and gender identity and expression.
This article shared 5071 times since Fri Feb 25, 2011
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
- "You can't say that marriage is a union between one man and one woman. Until very recently, that's what the vast majority of Americans thought. Now it's considered bigotry."Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito. So much for ...
|WORLD Canada museum, gay NZ leader, marriage items, 'Drag Race' 2020-11-09|
- The embattled Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) said it's planning sweeping changes to rebuild the organization more than four months after staff came forward with shocking allegations of racism and LGBT censorship, CBC.ca reported. The ...
|Jennifer N. Pritzker, Erin E. Solaro wed 2020-11-02|
--From a press release - Jennifer N. Pritzker and Erin E. Solaro were married in a private ceremony in Chicago on Oct. 31, 2020. Ms. Pritzker is President & CEO of TAWANI Enterprises Inc., Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Army, Retired, and Founder ...
|WORLD Taiwan marriages, Nigeria court, protests, GQ Awards 2020-11-02|
- Two women became the first military officers to marry their same-sex civilian partners at a mass military wedding in Taiwanmarking another landmark for LGBTQ+ rights in Asia, CNN.com reported. The island's defense ministry called it an ...
|LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus co-chairs bring resolution affirming court's marriage ruling 2020-10-30|
--From a press release - Washington, D.C. - Tomorrow the Congressional LGBTQ+ Equality Caucus Co-Chairs, Chris Pappas (NH-01), David Cicilline (RI-01), Angie Craig (MN-02), Sharice L. Davids (KS-03), Sean Patrick Maloney ...
|NATIONAL Marriage support, GLSEN, LGBTQ voting campaigns 2020-10-26|
- Seventy percent of Americans support same-sex marriage, according to the 11th annual American Values Surveythe highest percentage recorded by a major national poll, NBC News reported. The results found just 28 percent of respondents oppose the ...
|Pope calls for same-sex civil unions in documentary (UPDATED) 2020-10-21|
- In a departure from the position held by the Vatican's doctrinal office, Pope Francis called for the passage of civil union laws for same-sex couples in a documentary that aired in Rome, NBC News noted. "Homosexuals ...
|WORLD India couple, Japan items, pro-trans writers, Nigeria job fair 2020-10-12|
- In India, a same-sex couple approached the Delhi High Court seeking legal recognition of their marriage under the Foreign Marriage Act, India.com reported. The petitioners, an Indian citizen and an overseas citizen, are two gay men ...
|NATIONAL Marriage equality, minister and trans journalist die, HRC 2020-10-12|
- LGBTQ-rights advocates are warning of a renewed threat to marriage equality, NBC News reported. President Donald Trump's nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court to succeed Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg ignited fears of ...
|Threat to marriage equality looms at Supreme Court, Lambda Legal responds 2020-10-05|
--From a press release - (Washington, D.C., October 5, 2020) — Today, in a statement in Davis v. Ermold, authored by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and joined by Justice Samuel Alito, the Justices indicated a desire to overturn Obergefell v. ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|NATIONAL Bakery situation, tribal marriage, anti-LGBTQ crimes, Penn. lawmakers 2020-08-10|
- Extreme right-wing organization the Church Militant requested that Detroit bakery Good Cakes and Bakes co-owner April Anderson (who's LGBTQ) put on a cake, "Homosexual acts are gravely evil. (Catholic Catechism ...
|WORLD Israel incident, Cayman marriage, singer comes out, Poland arrests 2020-08-10|
- The Israel Police arrested a 16-year-old from the central Israeli city of Lod on suspicion that he took part in a violent attack on two young gay men in the Jaffa Port, Haaretz reported. The suspect ...
|Ken Ilio, one of the first gay men to marry in Illinois, dies at 63 2020-08-02|
- Keneth Yerro Iliowho became one of the first gay men to wed in Illinois when he married Ron Dorfman in December 2013has died in Chicago. He was 63. Windy City Times reported that on Dec. 16, ...
|NATIONAL Marriage video, non-binary person killed, memo, Buttigieg, Fauci 2020-07-13|
- U.S. District Judge William Orrick, a federal judge in San Francisco, ordered videos of a landmark 2010 trial that led to the striking down of California's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage be released next month, Politico ...