WINDY CITY TIMES
||Statement by President on DOD Don't Ask, Don't Tell Report
From a White House News Release, posted Nov. 30, 2010
This article shared 3614 times since Wed Dec 1, 2010
THE WHITE HOUSE, Office of the Press Secretary
Statement by President Obama on DOD Report on Don't Ask, Don't Tell
As Commander in Chief, I have pledged to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" law because it weakens our national security, diminishes our military readiness, and violates fundamental American principles of fairness and equality by preventing patriotic Americans who are gay from serving openly in our armed forces. At the same time, as Commander in Chief, I am committed to ensuring that we understand the implications of this transition, and maintain good order and discipline within our military ranks. That is why I directed the Department of Defense earlier this year to begin preparing for a transition to a new policy.
Today's report confirms that a strong majority of our military men and women and their familiesmore than two thirdsare prepared to serve alongside Americans who are openly gay and lesbian. This report also confirms that, by every measurefrom unit cohesion to recruitment and retention to family readinesswe can transition to a new policy in a responsible manner that ensures our military strength and national security. And for the first time since this law was enacted 17 years ago today, both the Secretary of Defense and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff have publicly endorsed ending this policy.
With our nation at war and so many Americans serving on the front lines, our troops and their families deserve the certainty that can only come when an act of Congress ends this discriminatory policy once and for all. The House of Representatives has already passed the necessary legislation. Today I call on the Senate to act as soon as possible so I can sign this repeal into law this year and ensure that Americans who are willing to risk their lives for their country are treated fairly and equally. Our troops represent the virtues of selfless sacrifice and love of country that have enabled our freedoms. I am absolutely confident that they will adapt to this change and remain the best led, best trained, best equipped fighting force the world has ever known.
This article shared 3614 times since Wed Dec 1, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|NATIONAL Under secretary leaving, gay man killed, anti-trans moves, SF gay bar 2023-02-19|
- Under Secretary Gina Ortiz Jones—the Air Force's second-highest ranking civilian—is stepping down on March 6, after a year and a half in the position, according to military.com. Jones was appointed by President Joe Biden as the ...
|Rubio, Banks introduce bill that would ban some trans people from military 2023-02-17|
- Republicans are introducing measures in both houses of Congress that, if passed, would ban some transgender people from serving in the military, The Hill reported. The Ensuring Military Readiness Act, sponsored by Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Florida), ...
|Lambda Legal challenges anti-HIV military policy 2022-11-13|
- Lambda Legal filed a legal challenge to the U.S. military policy that prevents people living with HIV from enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, according to a press release. The current policy requires that applicants for ...
|Trans U.S. Army doctor, wife charged with helping Russia in war against Ukraine 2022-09-30|
- A U.S. Army major doctor and their physician wife were arrested for an alleged criminal plot to give Russia confidential medical information about people connected to the U.S. military and government, CNBC reported. Federal prosecutors claim ...
|Palm Center to close permanently on Sept. 30 2022-09-26|
- The Palm Centeran independent research institute that uses scholarship to inform the national conversation about military policy concerning LGBTQ+ service memberswill close permanently on Sept. 30 after running for 24 ...
|Real-life-based gay military movie 'The Inspection' coming out Nov. 18 2022-08-23|
Video below - The movie The Inspection—based on director Elegance Bratton's own life—will be out in theaters on Friday, Nov. 18. In Bratton's film inspired by his own story, a young, gay Black man—rejected by his mother and with ...
|VIEWS The gay general at Valley Forge 2022-06-18|
- Friedrich Wilhelm Ludolf Gerhard Augustin von Steuben was born on Sept. 17, 1730, in Magdeburg, Germany. Son of a military father, Friedrich joined the Prussian army considered the most advanced professional army in Europe at the ...
|New military policy keeps HIV-positive service members deployable 2022-06-09|
- A new Defense Department policy allows HIV-positive service members with an undetectable viral load to not only stay in uniform but remain deployable, Military Times reported. ...
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|WORLD Soldiers, Everywhere Is Queer, soccer items 2022-04-24|
Video below - The South Korean Supreme Court ruled that soldiers of the same sex who have consensual sex in a private space cannot be charged with assault under the Military Criminal Act, The Hankyoreh reported. Previously, the court ...
|Federal court strikes down Pentagon's restrictions on military service of people Living with HIV as unconstitutional 2022-04-07|
-- From a press release - "The court ruled that the Pentagon's policies regarding service members with HIV are not only outdated, but unlawful, arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional . . . one of the strongest judicial rulings in over two decades ...
|Leader in fight to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to join virtual book club with LGBTQ veterans April 7 2022-04-07|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), will join the Chicago chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) April 7 at 7 p.m. for a virtual Book ...
|Gov. Pritzker lauds legislation to strengthen Illinois' response to military sexual violence 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In a nation-leading effort to protect survivors of military sexual violence and hold perpetrators accountable, the Illinois National Guard worked closely with state Senate Assistant Majority Leader Tony ...
|NATIONAL Oregon ruling, bomb threat, military lawsuit, Tim Cook, Netflix 2022-01-30|
- The Oregon Court of Appeals upheld a 2015 ruling by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) that the owners of Gresham-based Sweetcakes By Melissa violated the state's nondiscrimination statutes when they refused to bake ...
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|WORLD German bishops, trans woman's death, Hungary, human-rights event|
|SHOWBIZ 'Black Adam,' Cyndi Lauper, Sondheim, Oscars, OutFest|
|NATIONAL Ritchie Torres, N.J. towns, Karine Jean-Pierre, Tennessee items|
|Navratilova says she is cancer-free|
|UpRising Bakery and Cafe could soon close due to revenue losses, ongoing anti-LGBTQ+ harassment|