WINDY CITY TIMES
||Gates calls for DADT repeal now
News update Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010
This article shared 2954 times since Wed Nov 3, 2010
FROM A PRESS RELEASE
WASHINGTON, D.C.Servicemembers Legal Defense Network ( SLDN ) , a national, legal services and policy organization dedicated to ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ( DADT ) , issued a statement Nov. 7 regarding U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates' call for the Senate to act on repeal this year during the lame-duck session.
SLDN Executive Director Aubrey Sarvis said, "We welcome Secretary Gates call for the Senate to act on repeal in the lame duck session. Indeed, the Senate should call up the defense bill reported out of committee and pass it before it goes home for the year. If the President, Majority Leader Reid, Secretary Gates, and a handful of Republican senators are committed to passing the comprehensive defense bill, there is ample time to do so. Any talk about a watered down defense bill, whereby the 'Don't Ask' revisions would be stripped out, is unacceptable and offensive to the gay and lesbian service members who risk their lives every day."
This article shared 2954 times since Wed Nov 3, 2010
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|VIEWS The gay general at Valley Forge 2022-06-18|
- Friedrich Wilhelm Ludolf Gerhard Augustin von Steuben was born on Sept. 17, 1730, in Magdeburg, Germany. Son of a military father, Friedrich joined the Prussian army considered the most advanced professional army in Europe at the ...
|New military policy keeps HIV-positive service members deployable 2022-06-09|
- A new Defense Department policy allows HIV-positive service members with an undetectable viral load to not only stay in uniform but remain deployable, Military Times reported. ...
|NATIONAL Campus Pride, HIV and the military, IVF suit, Billie Jean King 2022-05-01|
- Campus Pridealong with 36 other national/regional organizations such as GLSEN, PFLAG National and TransAthlete.comrequested that the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) incorporate non-binary students into ...
|WORLD Soldiers, Everywhere Is Queer, soccer items 2022-04-24|
Video below - The South Korean Supreme Court ruled that soldiers of the same sex who have consensual sex in a private space cannot be charged with assault under the Military Criminal Act, The Hankyoreh reported. Previously, the court ...
|Federal court strikes down Pentagon's restrictions on military service of people Living with HIV as unconstitutional 2022-04-07|
-- From a press release - "The court ruled that the Pentagon's policies regarding service members with HIV are not only outdated, but unlawful, arbitrary and capricious, and unconstitutional . . . one of the strongest judicial rulings in over two decades ...
|Leader in fight to repeal 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' to join virtual book club with LGBTQ veterans April 7 2022-04-07|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), will join the Chicago chapter of the American Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER) April 7 at 7 p.m. for a virtual Book ...
|Gov. Pritzker lauds legislation to strengthen Illinois' response to military sexual violence 2022-04-01|
-- From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In a nation-leading effort to protect survivors of military sexual violence and hold perpetrators accountable, the Illinois National Guard worked closely with state Senate Assistant Majority Leader Tony ...
|NATIONAL Oregon ruling, bomb threat, military lawsuit, Tim Cook, Netflix 2022-01-30|
- The Oregon Court of Appeals upheld a 2015 ruling by the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) that the owners of Gresham-based Sweetcakes By Melissa violated the state's nondiscrimination statutes when they refused to bake ...
|Veterans Day event features Col. Pritzker, Kinzinger and Duckworth 2021-11-12|
- On Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the Pritzker Military Museum & Library (PMML), 104 S. Michigan Ave., hosted a free Veteran's Day program that was livestreamed live via YouTube. Transgender Col. (IL) Jennifer Pritzker, IL ARNG (Retired ...
|Pritzker Military Museum, Library to screen TransMilitary doc, Q&A with special guests 2021-09-28|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, IL (September 27, 2021) On Thursday, Sept. 30, at 5:30 p.m., the Pritzker Military Museum & Library will host the screening of the 2018 SXSW Audience Award Winner for Best Documentary TransMilitary. The program will ...
|Resolution recognizes 10th anniversary of the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2021-09-20|
--From a press release - Washington, DC Today, Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA), along with Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI) and Rep. Chris Pappas (D-NH), lead a resolution to recognize the 10th anniversary of the enactment of the repeal of "Don't Ask, ...
|BOOKS 'Mission Possible' released before 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anniversary 2021-09-20|
- C. Dixon Osburn, co-founder and former CEO of the Servicmembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), has written Mission Possible: The Story of the Repealing 'Don't Ask Don't Tell. This is the inside story of SLDN, which was ...
|NATIONAL Carl Bean dies, LGBT History Month, military events, Dykes on Bikes 2021-09-19|
- Archbishop Carl Beanan openly gay former Motown singer, longtime AIDS activist and leader in the LGBTQ church movementdied at age 77, The New York Daily News reported. In a statement entitled "The Giant Sleeps," the Unity ...
|VA to offer surgery to transgender vets for the first time
- U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) Denis McDonough announced that officials, for the first time, will offer surgeries for transgender veterans seeking to transition, Military Times reported. The move follows ...
|Pritzker Military Museum to hold panel on Department of Defense and transgender employees 2021-06-10|
--From a press release - CHICAGO, June 8, 2021 — The Pritzker Military Museum & Library is proud to present a panel discussion, "Exploring the Intersection of the U.S. Military and the LGBTQ Community," on Wednesday, June 23rd at Noon CDT ...