||Letter: The search for Kevin
This article shared 3436 times since Wed Apr 30, 2008
I hope the Kevin Clewer story in Windy City Times ( April 23, 2008 ) is productive though, sadly, it does not reflect any new proactive law enforcement initiatives toward resolving this tragic and unsolved homicide. I am perplexed by the continued search for the hardly elusive 'Fernando' suspect, as he was identified, arrested, questioned and released in March 2005. 'Fernando' was the last known person to be with Kevin at a Halsted Street bar and is therefore a suspect, though not necessarily the killer. This investigative tunnel vision resulting from exclusively focusing on 'Fernando' may well leave the actual offender undetected and free to commit additional crimes.
Investigative personnel unfamiliar with and/or biased toward certain non-traditional communities will reflect this bias throughout the investigation, whether LGBT, immigrant, homeless or other marginalized and underserved population segments. To be blunt, heterosexism and homophobia are as endemic in law enforcement as in society in general. Law enforcement agencies in general, and the Chicago Police Department ( CPD ) in particular, fail to welcome initiative, instead focusing on maintaining the status quo that is reflected in the hierarchal attitude of the organization and personnel.
This was readily apparent in the Chicago newspaper story at the time 'Fernando' was arrested by Area 3 police personnel, who disclosed their personal opinions to reporters in order to discredit that particular initiative after much investigative inertia. Additionally, there is a deliberate unwillingness to consider commonalities between similar crimes. As a former police officer, I know this institutional mindset can be improved and people better served if the decision is made to confront this attitude and institute change.
The CPD 'clears' only 38.8 percent of homicides, according to the 2006 annual report. The rate of actual solved and prosecuted cases is lower. This is a police department that has established an Animal Crimes Unit dedicated toward investigating violence against animals, yet refuses to establish a LGBT-focused unit with investigational authority to investigate crimes oriented toward the LGBT community.
This article shared 3436 times since Wed Apr 30, 2008
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD European Union, groundbreaking case, Caster Semenya 2020-11-23|
- The European Union announced its first strategy to protect the rights of LGBTQ+ people, out.com noted. Many saw the development as a response to the rising anti-LGBTQ+ hate and rhetoric in Poland and Hungary. The new ...
|Billy Masters 2020-11-23|
- "I think maybe I had something to do with it, because I was always a big fan of doing fancy dress with them when they were smaller, which Gemma hated, but Harry always embraced. Who doesn't love playing dress up?"Harry Styles' ...
|Hate crimes rise to highest level in a decade
- The FBI revealed that hate-crime reports in the United States surged in 2019 to the highest level since 2008, CNN.com reported. The new figures indicate that hate crimes reported to the FBI by law enforcement agencies ...
|NATIONAL Texas board, intersex portfolio, hate crimes, beauty queen dies
- A Texas regulatory board reinstated protections that bar social workers from refusing services to LGBTQ people and people with disabilities, NBC News reported. The Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, or BHEC, on Tuesday unanimously reversed an ...
|NATIONAL Attacks, TGNC emojis, lawsuits, 'Divas for Democracy'
- A 24-year-old man was punched in the face and called an anti-gay slur while filming a TikTok video with a female friend in lower Manhattan, and police are investigating the attack as a hate crime, according ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|Aurora garden damage seen as possible hate crime 2020-09-02|
- In Aurora, a garden that included a shed painted rainbow colors to support the LGBTQ community was destroyed recently after someone smashed it with a pickup truckand local authorities are viewing the attack as a possible ...
|Annual event spotlights trans lives lost 2020-08-30|
- On Aug. 30, Valerie Griffin celebrated the life of her daughter—Dejanay Stanton, a trans woman of color—with an annual summer get-together billed as "The Main Event Part 2." The event, in its second year, was also ...
|MOVIES 'Disarm Hate' features LGBTQ+ gun-control activists after massacre 2020-08-18|
- Narrated by the iconic actor Harvey Fierstein, the film Disarm Hate seeks to create awareness about gun violence against the LGBTQ+ community following the 2016 Pulse Nightclub massacre in Orlando that took 49 lives as the ...
|NATIONAL Early release, Zara settlement, arrests in Puerto Rico, D.C. gay bars close 2020-05-12|
- U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Timothy J. Shea, the city's lead prosecutor, informed his office's Hate Bias Task Force that he objected to a decision by a judge to grant the early release of ...
|Judge tosses Smollett prosecution lawsuit 2020-04-23|
- On April 22, U.S. District Court Judge Virginia Kendall dismissed a suit by embattled actor Jussie Smollett in which he alleged he was the victim of a malicious prosecution over his allegedly staged January 2019 hate-crime ...
|SPLC releases 'Hate and Extremism' report 2020-03-23|
- The Southern Poverty Law Center released its annual "Year in Hate and Extremism" report, identifying 940 active hate groups across the United States in 2019. The number of hate groups represents a slight decline from the ...
|NATIONAL Puerto Rico trans death, APA revisions, conversion therapy, LGBTQ gym 2020-03-10|
- Puerto Rico's governor condemned the killing of a transgender womanwhose death ignited a dialogue about transphobia on the islandas a hate crime, HuffPost reported. The body of Alexa Negron Luciano, who was also known as Neulisa ...
|Smollett indicted on new charges 2020-02-11|
- Embattled actor Jussie Smollett has been indicted on new criminal charges nearly a year after Cook County prosecutors dropped disorderly-conduct counts against him for allegedly arranging a racist, homophobic attack ...
|NATIONAL Backlash in Tennessee, judge dies, voucher program, hate-crimes bill 2020-02-11|
- More than 140 businesses signed a letter announcing their opposition to Tennessee's recent slew of anti-LGBTQ laws, which has been dubbed the "slate of hate" by activist groups, NBC News noted. The collective, known as the ...