WINDY CITY TIMES
||2nd Ward Race a Dogfight
This article shared 4080 times since Wed Apr 11, 2007
It's a fight to the finish in the race involving incumbent 2nd Ward Alderman Madeline Haithcock and challenger Bob Fioretti, with everything from name-calling to stalking charges being bandied about.
Last month, Haithcock sent out 13,000 mailings that had the word 'stalker' on them—and that featured Fioretti's picture on them, CBS-2 reported. Fioretti followed up by filing a lawsuit, claiming libel. The mailings referred to a restraining order filed four years ago against Fioretti.
However, that restraining order led the National Organization for Women ( NOW ) to rescind its support for Fioretti—for a second time. Initially, NOW supported Fioretti, but then changed its mind and took back its endorsement days before the primary election on Feb. 27, citing the order. In late March, the organization again decided to back Fioretti, but then again took back its endorsement after feeling that he was misleading regarding his relationship with the woman who filed the order.
This article shared 4080 times since Wed Apr 11, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|Treasurer Frerichs honors Illinois leaders during Women's History Month 2021-03-01|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD — In honor of Women's History Month, Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerichs today kicked off a virtual campaign to highlight and celebrate the achievements of women in Illinois. This year's national theme for Women's Histo ...
|WORLD Ghana turmoil, Malaysia case, Copenhagen 2021, Brazil churches 2021-02-28|
- Anti-gay outcry has forced Ghana's first LGBT+ community center to temporarily close to protect its staff and visitors three weeks after it opened, Reuters reported. Church groups, politicians and anti-gay rights groups have called on the ...
|Equality Act would provide federal civil rights protections to 13M LGBTs 2021-02-26|
--From a press release - Today, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Equality Act, federal legislation that would expressly prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity under existing civil rights laws. LGBT ...
|ELECTIONS Chicago alderman exploring secretary of state run 2021-02-26|
- According to Politico Playbook, Chicago Ald. Pat Dowell (3rd Ward) is exploring the possibility of running for secretary of state. I know I can build on the work that Secretary [of State Jesse] White has done ...
|Harris reveals legislative agenda for 2021 2021-02-26|
--From a press release - With remote committee hearings starting next week, the Spring Session is now truly underway. I wanted to share my legislative agenda for this year with you. In addition to my duties as chief budget negotiator for ...
|Mike Madigan picks second successor
- On Feb. 25, Angelica Guerrero-Cuellar was sworn in as the new 22nd District state representative, media outlets reported. Guerrero-Cuellar is the second person to succeed now-former Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan in less than a week. ...
|House passes Equality Act, LGBTQ Victory Institute demands Senate vote 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute — the only national organization dedicated to supporting LGBTQ elected officials — applauded the U.S. House for passing the Equality Act and called on U.S. senators not to filibuster ...
|Vaccine eligibility opens to Illinoisans with serious medical conditions 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - CHICAGO — Building on efforts to equitably distribute the COVID-19 vaccine, Governor Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Health today announced that Illinoisans with serious medical conditions can be vaccinated ...
|Dr. Rachel Levine confirmation hearing today, to be first trans Senate-confirmed appointee 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today Dr. Rachel Levine will testify before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions about her experience and qualifications to be the next U.S. Assistant Secretary of Health. If moved ...
|Victory Institute condemns Rand Paul attack on
Dr. Rachel Levine, trans youth 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - Washington, DC — Today LGBTQ Victory Institute condemned Senator Rand Paul's transphobic attack on Dr. Rachel Levine during her confirmation hearing before the U.S. Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. He attacked trans you ...
|Advocates, legislators introduce bill to
decriminalize HIV in Illinois 2021-02-25|
--From a press release - SPRINGFIELD, IL - Legislation was introduced in Springfield this week to end criminal penalties against people living with HIV (PLWH), which serve only to stigmatize and discriminate against PLWH. Current Illinois law makes legal behavior — ...
|Three Illinoisans among Victory Fund's latest endorsed candidates
- On Feb. 24, LGBTQ Victory Fund—the only national organization dedicated to electing LGBTQ leaders to public office—issued a press release announcing its endorsement of 30 more LGBTQ candidates for 2021 races. Illinois candidates in the group ...
|Daniel Biss wins Evanston mayoral race
- Former Illinois state Sen. Daniel Biss, a Democrat, won the Evanston mayoral race on Feb. 23, media outlets reported. An hour after polls closed, Biss had collected more than 73 percent of the votes counted and ...
|Mike Madigan now wants successor to step down
- Just two days after appointing Edward Guerra Kodatt as his successor, former Illinois House Speaker Mike Madigan has asked him to step down, according to various media outlets. Marty Quinn, alderman of Chicago's 13th Ward, joined ...
|1.3 million adult immigrants in the US identify as LGBT
--From a press release - LGBT immigrants are more often male and younger compared to all immigrants in the country An estimated 1,274,500 LGBT foreign-born adults live in the U.S., including 289,700 who are undocumented and 984,800 who are documented, according ...