WINDY CITY TIMES
||WCMG Profile: Mary Shen Barnidge
This article shared 9442 times since Wed Feb 7, 2007
Mary Shen Barnidge is a freelance theatre critic for Windy City Times ( 1993-present ) and The Chicago Reader ( 1989-present ) . She is a member of the American Theatre Critics Association; Poets & Writers, Inc.; and is a friend of the Society of American Fight Directors. Previus to her career as a freelance journalist, she authored two poetry collections—Parties and Poets in Whitewater, Milwaukee, DeKalb, Philadelphia, Okinawa and Chicago ( 1977, Bloody Mac's Commandos Press ) and Piano Player at The Dionysia ( 1984, Thompson Hill ) , in addition to pioneeering the Performance Poetry movement during the 1980s.
Windy City Media Group ( WCMG ) profiles will continue each week.
This article shared 9442 times since Wed Feb 7, 2007
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|PASSAGES Writer, attorney, activist Takeia R. Johnson 2021-07-25|
- The local organization Affinity Community Services announced the recent passing of Takeia R. Johnson. According to Johnson's LinkedIn profile, she was editor-in-chief and lead writer at Inclusion at Work as well as a Ph.D. student focusing ...
|SAVOR Talking with new Travelle Chef de Cuisine Qi Ai; Profile of Travelle's breakfast 2021-06-09|
- Travelle Chef de Cuisine Qi Ai Travelle at the Langham (330 N Wabash Ave.; https://www.travellechicago.com/) has undergone a major change during the COVID pandemic: New Chef de Cuisine Qi (pronounced "tee") Ai was promoted from sous ...
|MOVIES Dutch journalist talks about making 'My Friend, the Mayor' 2021-02-17|
- In the Amazon Prime Video documentary My Friend, the Mayor: Small-town Democracy in the Age of Trump, Dutch journalist Max Westerman profiles friend Sean Strub, an openly gay activist, activist, long-term AIDS survivor and POZ magazine ...
|Booksellers launch "Boxed Out" campaign, a look at consumer choices 2020-10-22|
--From a press release - (New York, New York) 20% of independent bookstores across the country are in danger of closing. Today, theAmerican Booksellers Association launched the "Boxed Out" campaign to draw attention to the high stakes indie bookstores face this ...
|Author/academic John D'Emilio on new book, future endeavors 2020-10-01|
- Queer Legacies: Stories from Chicago's LGBTQ Archives is a new book by Gerber/Hart Library and Archives President and University of Illinois at Chicago History and Women's and Gender Studies Professor Emeritus John ...
|Out Illinois State coach dives into new position 2020-09-16|
- Logan Pearsall, an accomplished college diver who has since transitioned into master's level diving, was competing at the 2017 FINA World Masters Championships in Budapest, Hungary. He was doing a challenging inward dive from a one-meter ...
|Joseph Baar Topinka preserves legacy of mother: Pro-gay Republican Judy 2020-09-02|
- Riverside resident Joseph Baar Topinka is still impressed with the resolve and stamina with which his late mother, longtime GOP politician Judy Baar Topinka, was able to "slug it out" in the political arena. "She got ...
|'Making Sweet Tea': Out NU dean talks about new documentary 2020-08-18|
- Performer and Northwestern University Dean E. Patrick Johnson discussed his new film and the importance of reclaiming storytelling agency in a virtual Q&A Lambda Legal hosted Aug. 9. Johnson, dean of Northwestern University's School of Communication, ...
|Asha Ransby-Sporn talks building on the anti-racism movement's legacy 2020-08-05|
- With anti-racism protests happening around the United States, in what some media outlets are saying is the largest movement in this country's history, demands to abolish the police have increasingly been a part of the rallying ...
|Local lesbian couple celebrate 50 years together 2020-08-05|
- When Alice Cozad and Linda Young met each other as freshmen at the University of Iowa they knew almost instantly that they would be together as a couple for the rest of their lives. "The electricity ...
|Teen LGBTQ+ activist aims to inspire with Be You Tiful Initiative 2020-07-31|
- Allison Frank is a 16-year-old lesbian activist from Lincolnshire's Stevenson High School who found her passion for activism and began the Be You Tiful Initiative. It all started when Frank was feeling overwhelmed in a makeup ...
|Cicero student finds his voice 2020-07-29|
- When Jorge Martinez-Arevalo was in eighth grade, he was elected president of an LGBTQ+ after-school club at Unity Junior High School, in Cicero. During his eighth-grade year, the club, which is known as NJAW (short for ...
|Chicago man takes face masks into luxury 2020-07-10|
- During COVID-19 David Altman is encouraging people to wear their heart on their face with masks that his brand Vintage Luxe Up is currently making out of vintage luxury designer silk scarves. Altman grew up on ...
|E. Patrick Johnson, a man of firsts 2020-07-08|
- E. Patrick Johnson is a man often associated with the word "first." He was the first in his family to go to college, and the first Black native of Hickory, North Carolina, to receive a Ph.D., ...
|Gay sign-language interpreter on press conferences, LGBTQs 2020-04-01|
- As a child, Michael Spencer Albert never knew how important his hands would be one day as an interpreter for the deaf community. He was born in Edgewater Hospital and grew up in Skokie. In college, ...