WINDY CITY TIMES
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 2898 times since Wed Oct 11, 2006
#1 Nick Verreos and David Paul. Project ALMA photos by Andrew Davis and Emmanuel Garcia
Hundreds of patrons packed The FlatFile Gallery, 217 N. Carpenter, Sept. 30, as the Association of Latino Men for Action ( ALMA ) , an organization for Latino GBQ men, held Project ALMA.
The event was a take-off of the popular Bravo TV show Project Runway, down to a runway show that featured the clothes of local Latino designers Miguel Becerril; Carol Piñeiro, Horacio Nieto, Carla S. Rivera and James De Colón. There was also a silent auction that showcased everything from artwork to goods from Steamworks to Lisa Marie Presley concert tickets; in addition, there were vendors present, including E&J Designs and Marlene Saadia's Boutique & Bridal.
In another reference to the aforementioned TV series, the special guest for the event ( and the VIP reception ) was designer Nick Verreos, who competed on season two of Project Runway. Before the show began, Verreos acknowledged that he is actually half Venezuelan and half Greek but added that he is '100 percent Latina,' to the cheers of the crowd. After the show, he told Windy City Times that he was impressed by what he saw: 'It was amazing. One thing that I said when I judged [ applicants for the third season ] was, 'Where are the Chicago designers?'—and here they are, and I wished they had shown up when I was here. The actual person we picked from Chicago was actually from Kansas. Hopefully, next season [ the designers ] won't feel like the show is below them.'
This article shared 2898 times since Wed Oct 11, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|amfAR gala is highlight of Cannes Film Festival, raises $19M 2022-05-28|
- The amfAR gala, the highlight of the famed Cannes Film Festival, returned as a glamorous in-person event May 26 at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in Antibes, France, according to a press release. amfAR, The Foundation for ...
|Chicago Fashion Week taking place April 24-May 1 2022-04-19|
- FashionBar, LLC announced Chicago Fashion Week will take place April 24-May 1 on the third floor of Water Tower Place, 835 N. Michigan Ave. Some of the shows will include "Emerging Students" (April 26), "Trans, Media ...
|Designs for Dignity gala on May 19 2022-04-19|
- Designs for Dignity's annual fundraising gala, "Spirit of Design," will take place Thursday, May 19, 6-10 p.m., and will celebrate more than 20 years of impact on Chicago's nonprofit community. The event will take place at ...
|Chicago Fashion Week April 24 to May 1 2022-04-05|
-- From a press release - CHICAGO — FashionBar, LLC is pleased to announce Chicago Fashion Week powered by FashionBar LLC, scheduled from April 24th to May 1st at Water Tower Place on Chicago's Magnificent Mile. FashionBar is proud to celebrate this ...
|LGBTQIA+-focused talent group launches in Orlando, Chicago and Miami 2022-03-31|
- Orlando-based experiential marketing company, 82 South, Inc., has launched MODE (Made on Diversity and Equality) Talent Group this month to promote LGBTQIA+ and other underrepresented talent for bookings in fashion ...
|NATIONAL Mayor makes history, LGBTQ+ Latinx demo, fashion show, N.C. law 2022-03-20|
- In Florida, Boynton Beach elected its first out LGBTQ mayoras well as the first Asian-American mayor in the state's history, LGBTQ Nation noted. Ty Penserga not only won the election, but he beat a homophobe who ...
|BOOKS Janelle Monae in Chicago April 22 to discuss 'The Memory Librarian' 2022-03-15|
- Singer-songwriter, actor, fashion icon and author Janelle Monae will visit Chicago's Harris Theater for Music and Dance, 205 E. Randolph St., as part of the tour for her new book, The Memory Librarian and Other Stories ...
|ART Virgil Catherine Gallery presenting 'C/Overt Observations' in Hinsdale 2022-03-15|
- Virgil Catherine Galleryat 45 S. Washington St., in Hinsdalewill host an artist reception for its latest exhibition, "C/Overt Observations," on Saturday, March 19, 5-8 p.m., spotlighting renowned art, fashion and ...
|SHOWBIZ Da Brat, French movie, fashion show, Niecy Nash, 'Idol' alum 2022-02-27|
- On Feb. 22, the stars of WE tv's series Brat Loves JudyDa Brat and Jesseca "Judy" Dupartwere married in a romantic wedding ceremony and reception in front of family and friends at Horse Mansion in Fairburn, ...
|THEATER "The world keeps spinnin' 'round and 'round" for Andrew Levitt in Hairspray 2022-01-28|
- "Welcome to the '60s," where psychedelic fashions ruled and mini-skirts were everywhere. Soul music gained a strong voice while segregation separated the dance floors. John Waters' original 1988 film Hairspray displayed drag diva Divine as mother ...
|Fashion designer Thierry Mugler dies at 73 2022-01-24|
- Openly gay French fashion designer Thierry Mugler (full name: Manfred Thierry Mugler) has passed away at age 73, according to media reports. Madonna, Lady Gaga and Cardi B are among those who have worn his designs. ...
|Fashion icon Andre Leon Talley dies at 73 2022-01-19|
- Andre Leon Talleythe fashion icon and former creative director of Vogue magazinedied Jan. 18 at age 73. Details were not immediately revealed. In addition to his agent, Talley's Instagram account confirmed Talley's passing, noting that ...
|Chicago queer hair artists carve out safe spaces to cut and style hair 2021-12-06|
- When Blue Line Barbers moved locations, Talia Roxit immediately knew which barber chair she wanted to claim: the one closest to the window. "It's not that I want the attention, but I want to draw in ...
|PASSAGES Designer Virgil Abloh dies at 41 2021-11-29|
- Designer Virgil Ablohthe first Black artistic director of Louis Vuitton's menswear collection and the founder of the Off-White labeldied at the age of 41 after privately battling "a rare, aggressive form of cancer, cardiac angiosarcoma," a ...
|BUSINESS Black council, HRCF release first-ever 'Black in Fashion' index 2021-10-04|
- The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation and The Black in Fashion Council, an organization that promotes and advances Black representation in the fashion and beauty industry, released their inaugural Black in Fashion Index report, which measures ...