||Bail Set in Lesbian Murder Case
by Andrew Davis
This article shared 6196 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
On Feb. 21, bail was set at $2 million for an Elgin man who stands accused of running over his estranged wife with his sports-utility vehicle when he spotted her with her female lover.
Martin McCoy, 31, of 270 E. Chicago St., appeared in the Rolling Meadows branch of Cook County Circuit Court. He has been charged with first-degree murder after Frances McCoy, 28, died of multiple injuries in Advocate Lutheran General Hospital on Feb. 19.
On Feb. 17, Martin McCoy appeared outside his wife's Hoffman Estates apartment and shatttered her car with a golf club. Then, he put his vehicle in reverse—narrowly missing Frances—before shifting into drive and accelerating. This time, he hit her and pulled her under the vehicle before speeding off.
The Cook County State's Attorney's Office, which confirmed the details, also told Windy City Times that Martin McCoy is scheduled to re-appear in the same branch of the circuit court on March 24.
In 2001, Martin McCoy was charged with domestic battery. Frances was the mother of two children. They are currently residing with her mother in Batavia.
This article shared 6196 times since Wed Mar 1, 2006
| ARTICLES YOU MIGHT LIKE|
|WORLD Uzbek activist, hate-crimes report, Ghana arrests, Chely Wright 2021-04-04|
- Uzbek activist Miraziz Bazarov was hospitalized after he was attacked by unknown men hours after his public event was disrupted by dozens of aggressive men in Tashkent, RFERL.org reported. Physicians at the Tashkent Traumatology Hospital said ...
|OP-ED: An AAPI hate crime we dare not say 2021-03-30|
- On March 16, Robert Aaron Long killed eight people, six of whom were women of Asian descent. Long's action has not yet been classified as a hate crime because the motive, he stated, was his sex ...
|SAAPRI vehemently condemns murders of Asian American women in Atlanta 2021-03-18|
--From a South Asian American Policy & Research Institute press release - Stop AAPI Hate: Together, we must work to stand in solidarity and stop AAPI hate and all hate crimes against people of color. On Tuesday, March 16th, six Asian American women were killed in a series ...
|WORLD European Union, groundbreaking case, Caster Semenya 2020-11-23|
- The European Union announced its first strategy to protect the rights of LGBTQ+ people, out.com noted. Many saw the development as a response to the rising anti-LGBTQ+ hate and rhetoric in Poland and Hungary. The new ...
|Billy Masters 2020-11-23|
- "I think maybe I had something to do with it, because I was always a big fan of doing fancy dress with them when they were smaller, which Gemma hated, but Harry always embraced. Who doesn't love playing dress up?"Harry Styles' ...
|Hate crimes rise to highest level in a decade
- The FBI revealed that hate-crime reports in the United States surged in 2019 to the highest level since 2008, CNN.com reported. The new figures indicate that hate crimes reported to the FBI by law enforcement agencies ...
|NATIONAL Texas board, intersex portfolio, hate crimes, beauty queen dies
- A Texas regulatory board reinstated protections that bar social workers from refusing services to LGBTQ people and people with disabilities, NBC News reported. The Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, or BHEC, on Tuesday unanimously reversed an ...
|NATIONAL Attacks, TGNC emojis, lawsuits, 'Divas for Democracy'
- A 24-year-old man was punched in the face and called an anti-gay slur while filming a TikTok video with a female friend in lower Manhattan, and police are investigating the attack as a hate crime, according ...
|WORLD Vancouver protest, dating apps, Budapest Pride, N. Ireland marriages 2020-09-08|
- In Canada, protesters held a beach dance party in Vancouver's West End night in a bid to disrupt an event by a Toronto preacher who has been accused of anti-LGBTQ hate speech, CBC.ca reported. David Lynn, ...
|Aurora garden damage seen as possible hate crime 2020-09-02|
- In Aurora, a garden that included a shed painted rainbow colors to support the LGBTQ community was destroyed recently after someone smashed it with a pickup truckand local authorities are viewing the attack as a possible ...
|Annual event spotlights trans lives lost 2020-08-30|
- On Aug. 30, Valerie Griffin celebrated the life of her daughter—Dejanay Stanton, a trans woman of color—with an annual summer get-together billed as "The Main Event Part 2." The event, in its second year, was also ...
|MOVIES 'Disarm Hate' features LGBTQ+ gun-control activists after massacre 2020-08-18|
- Narrated by the iconic actor Harvey Fierstein, the film Disarm Hate seeks to create awareness about gun violence against the LGBTQ+ community following the 2016 Pulse Nightclub massacre in Orlando that took 49 lives as the ...
|NATIONAL Early release, Zara settlement, arrests in Puerto Rico, D.C. gay bars close 2020-05-12|
- U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Timothy J. Shea, the city's lead prosecutor, informed his office's Hate Bias Task Force that he objected to a decision by a judge to grant the early release of ...
|Judge tosses Smollett prosecution lawsuit 2020-04-23|
- On April 22, U.S. District Court Judge Virginia Kendall dismissed a suit by embattled actor Jussie Smollett in which he alleged he was the victim of a malicious prosecution over his allegedly staged January 2019 hate-crime ...
|SPLC releases 'Hate and Extremism' report 2020-03-23|
- The Southern Poverty Law Center released its annual "Year in Hate and Extremism" report, identifying 940 active hate groups across the United States in 2019. The number of hate groups represents a slight decline from the ...